Turbo Grafx 16/ PC-Engine: Worth Getting?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The RX is pointless to get, the 6 button controller is terrible. The Avenue 6 controller is better if you need a 6 button.

Yes, kind of pointless getting a Rx to pay extra for just the controller. It is the newest version of the pc engine cd consoles though. 1994 I believe. It's the one to most likely have the least amount of hours on it.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Yes, get a PCE. NES games on steroids FTW.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I got a PCE Coregrafx II a while ago and have a few games now. Final soldier, DariusPlus, Dragon Spirit and Legendary Axe.
All games are great to play, especially final soldier, awesome graphics for a '91 console game.
And yes every retrogamer should have at least owned one at some point in his life.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I bought a new Duo from TZD back in high school so I could play Rondo. I only have 12 games total (3 of which are from the 3-in-1 disc). It's pathetic, I really should get more games. :(

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Reminds me of my old collection. I had a near complete collection about 8 years ago. Only was missing a few crap games I didn't want anyway. I really regret selling my magical chase with manual, and dynastic hero. Mainly dynastic hero. One of my favorite games of all time. I will probably never get that one again. Missed a buy itnow for $150.00 last week on EBay but scored a ton of good games from the same seller for cheap. All I want now English wise is dyna, exile, dungeon explorer 2, and ill probably just get a Japanese MC and ev overdrive the real one.

I hated dragon spirit. That games damn near impossible. I played it for 10 hours straight, 8 of which were on the last level and gave up. Dragon Saber is awesome though.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
More like $200 plus. Typically a stock duo-r w/ controller go's for $200-225 loose. Duo-Rx fetches for more. A few years ago douijdance was selling Rgb modded systems for like $175. Now he sells them for close to $300. They have gone up in price.
Damn it's price really has jumped since i bought one then.When i bought one in 2005 it was a bit pricey boxed,lucky for me i had duo_r mod the console.Not to mention,it didn't cost me much to have it tap for rbg and a region switch put in.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
PCE has reinvigorated gaming for me - fucking ballzdeepx style - get one if you're just fucking meh on the shit you're used to. Shit you've never played son, get a PCE and an Everdrive (I still need to get one) and you're set - fuck more stupid big collections of wack ass overpriced shit that you won't play.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yes, get a PCE. NES games on steroids FTW.

So very true.

Many of the games have an NES-like 8 bit charm to them gameplay wise, but with pumped up 16 bit visuals and better music.

Considering the PCE is in all reality an 8 bit console, it's fucking phenomenal.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Honestly, I'd advise collecting the physical CD games and playing them on a PC emulator. Skip the HuCards entirely. If you must get a system, don't be afraid to get an unmodded Duo-R. The only US HuCard I ever play is Final Lap Twin, and I could really get away with the Japanese version because I'll never play the RPG mode. The arcade mode has little to no need to understand Japanese, or any language for that matter. The rest of the HuCard library, I've found, is rather forgettable or redundant. Street Fighter 2 isn't worth it.

The Duo-R (or the RX) model is objectively the best model of the PC Engine there is. The only "upgrades" you need to buy for the Duo-R are the Arcade Card (great for that bootleg Sapphire you'll eventually acquire) and the multiplayer adapter, and you could still get along just fine without either of those upgrades.

AVOID THE STANDARD PC ENGINE DUO. Also avoid the US Turbo Duo. Capacitor plague and CD drive wonkiness make them not worth the trouble. Heck, just avoid the US hardware entirely.

I guess a CoreGrafx could be cute if you are into that sort of thing, but you're also stuck with HuCards only. I also wouldn't recommend getting CD add-ons and other upgrades because the Duo-R is the better option.

LOL SuperGrafx

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Honestly, I'd advise collecting the physical CD games and playing them on a PC emulator. Skip the HuCards entirely. If you must get a system, don't be afraid to get an unmodded Duo-R. The only US HuCard I ever play is Final Lap Twin, and I could really get away with the Japanese version because I'll never play the RPG mode. The arcade mode has little to no need to understand Japanese, or any language for that matter. The rest of the HuCard library, I've found, is rather forgettable or redundant. Street Fighter 2 isn't worth it.

lebowski.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

The Duo-R (or the RX) model is objectively the best model of the PC Engine there is. The only "upgrades" you need to buy for the Duo-R are the Arcade Card (great for that bootleg Sapphire you'll eventually acquire) and the multiplayer adapter, and you could still get along just fine without either of those upgrades.

AVOID THE STANDARD PC ENGINE DUO. Also avoid the US Turbo Duo. Capacitor plague and CD drive wonkiness make them not worth the trouble. Heck, just avoid the US hardware entirely.

I guess a CoreGrafx could be cute if you are into that sort of thing, but you're also stuck with HuCards only. I also wouldn't recommend getting CD add-ons and other upgrades because the Duo-R is the better option.

LOL SuperGrafx

With the exception of the comment about avoiding the regular Duo's, ignore the rest of this tools post.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Isn't Dynastic Hero just a port of Genesis Wonderboy?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Isn't Dynastic Hero just a port of Genesis Wonderboy?

Yep, sure is. Rather play the one on the OG console, although Westone did the duty on Dynastic Hero and Dragon's Curse. Btw, Dragon's Curse is total boss.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have a TG16 and 4-5 games. It's definitely interesting and a fun curiosity that gets ignored by the nostalgia gaming mass. The games I have played all feel a little "different" somehow, it is hard to explain. Different vibe, different colors, art, I can't put my finger on it, but it didn't feel like a SNES/Genesis competitor, but just some weird little novelty doing its own thing. I know this doesn't make much sense, but maybe some of you guys can agree.

I've enjoyed everything I've played on it, but nothing was earth shattering either, all just enjoyable and that is not a bad thing. It's like the comfort food of gaming. I think if you enjoy the Neo-Geo you will like the TG16. I'd emulate it first just to see if the games appeal to you, and then make a decision to take the financial plunge.

I have Bonk, Keith Courage, some racing game, Alien Crush, and China Warrior. I know China Warrior gets a bad rep because it's kind of fucking awful, but I adore that game. Something so simple and idiotic just brings a smile to my face, and there is nothing like kicking through legions of power walking monks.

The tg-16/PCE are a great example of what was so great and at the same time terrible about late 80s early 90s gaming. The market was booming and it was the wild west out there. There was some truly crazy and adventurous stuff happening. Some of it was genius, and some of it was just god awful. The norm hadn't been figured out just yet so everyone was throwing stuff and the wall seeing what stuck.

Even though those gaming oddities don't always have the best games they are charming in their own way. It is partly why I like the neo so much. It is hella quirky and goes against all the conventional rules of what makes a successful gaming console. The TG16 is a bit like that.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The RX is pointless to get, the 6 button controller is terrible. The Avenue 6 controller is better if you need a 6 button.

The not so well known hori fighting commander is in my opinion by far the best PCE controller. The buttons feel very similar in quality to a snes controller, and the d-pad I think is better than a snes controller. Highly recommend.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yep, sure is. Rather play the one on the OG console, although Westone did the duty on Dynastic Hero and Dragon's Curse. Btw, Dragon's Curse is total boss.

Sorry for the DP fellas I'm on my phone. For the record there is no such thing as a bad wonderboy game. And the turb has a port of every single one except MWIV. Dynastic hero is a reworked version of wonderboy in monster world on genny. It looks amazing with redrawn characters. They are all regular people with insect armor which is pretty original. And the music is amazing, because the duo was the sound king. In some respects the genny version is better though. Mainly IT'S harder, which is good. Dragons curse is awesome. I played it today. The Japanese version on PCE is called adventure island and is very playable in Japanese. It's also worth noting the master system game is called dragons trap. And it is different enough to warrant a purchase. I think its the best master system game next to spellcaster.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Are you serious? Some of the best games on the console are Hu cards. The only one you like is Final Lap Twin is laughable. I can't tell if this is a joke or not. And why buy the CD games to play them on an emulator? There's plenty of CD systems to go around.

Yes they have capacitor problems but they are easy to replace and bad caps shouldn't deter anyone from buying one as almost all 25 year old electroinics have old caps that might need to be replaced by now. There are plenty of people who can do this and you can score a black duo for cheap and do it yourself. The black duo is awesome and the headphone jack with volume control is really useful. Only people who have problems with the cd drive are people who play burned cds and the laser gets jammed. If you have to play burns just make sure you us silver or gold CDs and you should be just fine

There's something awesome about playing hu cards on just a coregrafx alone and myself like a lot of people own multiple systems from NEC to enjoy all the funky revisions that make NEC collecting fun.

LOL SuperGrafx
:blow_top:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I still prefer the Avenue 6. It doesn't seem like it would be a good SF controller, but it actually is.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't have huge fingers, yet, I feel the Avenue Pad 6 AWFUL for Street Fighter II.

I got one new in box, played it and really felt the D-Pad is really bad.
It's also weird as it's squashed and quite large.
It's a must have due to it's SloMo and Turbo settings, but it's simply
terrible and uncomfortable for fighters. Luckily we have a Neo for that.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'd recommend making an arcade stick for use with the system, or maybe making an adapter to use another system's stick ( maybe a DC stick or the Playstation Namco stick). With all of the shooties on the system, it would be nice.

For those on the fence about getting into the turbo, www.thebrothersduomazov.com is a great site to peruse. This article discussing the launch of the TG16 is a good start:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2009/07/original-six.html

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Damn it's price really has jumped since i bought one then.When i bought one in 2005 it was a bit pricey boxed,lucky for me i had duo_r mod the console.Not to mention,it didn't cost me much to have it tap for rbg and a region switch put in.

Yea all tg16/pce software and hardware has gone up. Games like JC Action Kung fu and Ninja Spirts were going for $25-30 complete a few years ago, now ebay sellers have jacked up the prices. I managed to get a rgb modded Duo-Rx for a decent price a few years back and I'm holding on to this one.

The Kung Fu/China Warrior is Kung Fu on crack. I love this game.

China Warrior is a awesome game. What do you think of Vigilante? I think it's pretty similar to Kung Fu but better.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Even though those gaming oddities don't always have the best games they are charming in their own way. It is partly why I like the neo so much. It is hella quirky and goes against all the conventional rules of what makes a successful gaming console. The TG16 is a bit like that.
That's what I like about the Neo Geo, it was the same as the arcade hardware (which was very unusual at the time). Most of the games of the SNES or genesis were extremely cut down from the arcade (and most people in the early 90s only had either a Genesis or a SNES). The only perfect ports on SNES were 1980s 8-bit arcade games. The only decent fighters on the SNES or Genesis were Street Fighter or maybe Mortal Kombat, none of the Neo Geo ports on the SNES were all that good. I was more interested in video games once the 16-bit systems were released (bigger sprites than the NES- more like arcade sprites, better sound/digitized voices). Other interesting systems I find interesting are the C64 (unusual sound chip) and Vectrex (the only vector-graphics system)

Last edited: