UK: Want cheap or broken arcade pcbs + some rarer ones

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Right, so I've decided on building a MAME cabinet to go next to my neogeo cabinet. I would like to legally own the games to play on it, eg want to own but not use the boards. Therefore faulty boards or boards without their sound boards, kick harnesses, part A boards etc are very welcome as that'll bring the price down nicely for me. Of course I'm trawling ebay and bidding on games I'm interested in but I thought I'd post here in case anyone had any to clear.

I'm most interested in:

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Street Fighter 2 (any legal/official variant)

Final Fight
The Punisher
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble 2 / Bubble Symphony

Galaga
Galaga 88
Galaga 3
Donkey Kong
Pac Man
Ms Pacman
Rally X
New Rally X

Klax
Super Qix

Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Play or whatever it was called)
Super Mario 3 (Play choice 10)

Outrun
Outrunners
Chase HQ

Marvel Vs Capcom
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

I appreciate that many of these are worth consdierable ammounts of money so may be out of my reach for a while, any educated guesses as to what I might have to pay for any of them is welcome also :)

I'm also interested in any Sega Model 1/2/3 hardware and games, especially virtua Fighter series and Racing Games.

Last edited:

sven666

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i have these available:

SF2
SSF2turbo
ms pacman
final fight

theyre all in working condition tho :P interested? -> PM :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a WWF Wrestlefest with wrong colors I could sell for cheap, just let me know if you are interested.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
"So you want to buy a load of broken PCBs. Are you nuts?"

lol no, I want them to play on a mame machine, and still legally be allowed to do so without just illegally downloading "teh romz". That way I can have a multi arcade machine (or probably 2, 1 coctail for vert and 1 upright for horizontal games) and not have to kleep swapping the pcbs and (worse) rewire the extra buttons all the frickin time (Ie switching from sf2 to mk wiring would be a right royal pain)

Amano Jacu - thanks but I think postage from Spain would criple the cheap price for me. Thanks for the offer though :)

Sven66, Tsuyugasumi, beh3moth PMs sent :)

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiantgun said:
As the man says -

He's right you know ! :glee:

Although i also think its a bit strange to want broken boards per se, i think its kindof lame to call him insane when he wants to do "the legal" thing. Is illegal gaming encouraged on these forums or something?

Anyway good luck to the topic-starter, i might post a wanted topic soon too to acquire some cps1/cps2 thingies i've been missing for way too long.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
So you want to buy the PCBs so that if the rozzers ever happen to put your door through at 5am because you have some ROMs, you'll be able to say "...but occifer, I own all of these really-big-and-heavy-PCBs-that-are-also-really-annoying-to-store, so it's ok that I have ROMs..."

You're going to buy the broken PCB for every ROM you intend to download? Do you have some kind of underground storage unit, in which to put them all? This sounds like proper village-idiot, n00b behaviour to me. Its like some kind of money-for-old-rope-bonanza, so I shall be making a list of my old tat and sending it to you ASAP.

You'd be far better off, saving your money and putting it towards a proper 4-button CP for your existing cab and a load of MVS carts. You can do all of this and still d/l a bunch of ROMs for your MAME cab for free. I find it hard to believe that you are not going to d/l a ROM unless you own the real PCB of it either.

Last edited:

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save yourself some more space, install neorage? In fact why even bother buying anything at all?

Anyway, enough flaming and off-topic. :)

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
retro said:
Save yourself some more space, install neorage? In fact why even bother buying anything at all?

Anyway, enough flaming and off-topic. :)

Shut up n00b. The guy needs some advice. He's the one who wants a MAME cab after all.
What he is proposing is insane. Nobody here cares whether or not he d/ls some ROMs, we are not a secret anti-ROM police force who require running commentary's of everything he is doing.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
NeoCop is back!

retro
Bashful Neophyte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think you are "teh elite" because of your post-count or do you get statisfaction from yelling "shut up noob" or something ? Pretty immature behaviour especially for someone your age. Get your pleasures by insulting someone else.

Great PM there duder. You and the other guy are the latest round of n00bs, who come along with their big ideas, and think everyone is falling over themselves to re-read the same thing as 3 months ago when the last new guy did it. If he hadn't of told anbody, noone would know he had ROMs and he wouldn't have to buy these PCBs that he has proposed doing so he isn't breaking the law. Do you really think no other users here have ROMs, but they buy the PCB, broken or not to make it alright?

You'll learn though n00b, everyone does. Neo-Geo is just games like Xbox. You don't have to be special to play it, nor do you need to be part of an underground secret society.

Shame Rot isn't here to put you in your place...

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hehe funny stuff!

"You'd be far better off, saving your money and putting it towards a proper 4-button CP for your existing cab and a load of MVS carts."
already done that - I bought a sheet of perspex and some hole cutting drill bits and did it myself :) infact I put in 6 button layouts (although obviously only 4 buttons wired up) becasue initally I thought I'd be turning it into a mame caba nd mame cab only. Then I decided I wanted to keep a "real" neogeo and have a mame cab too :)

"You can do all of this and still d/l a bunch of ROMs for your MAME cab for free."
Yup already done that years ago!

"I find it hard to believe that you are not going to d/l a ROM unless you own the real PCB of it either."
Where on earth did I write that? That would be insane! Trust me I have no qualms about downloading and trying the games, I have a wallet of dvdrs full of gbs worth of games for many consoles and mame, mostly for my own curiosity in the "I always wanted to try that game" moments, or for games and consoel I already own or have owned in the past but can't have cluttering my living room floor, but can have a single small form factor pc joined to the pc to play them. Whilst technically its illegal for me to play games I don't cuurently own personally I have no moral qualms about doing such a thing, especially as buying second hand versions of the games would not make any royalties whatsoever for the original publishers or developers.

I would point out however that theres a huge difference between owning a rom and owning the actual original hardware - especially when it comes to console games if theres a particular title I still replay fairly often I will always buy the original from ebay or whatever to keep in my possession and own, the feel and look of the original box, cartridge, manuals etc is something you just can't appreciate from a few mbs of rom on a dvdr.

The Main reason I want these titles on arcade boards however is that I run a recording studio, and often have people coming round to use it. Those people are going to see the machines and want to use them too - heck they might even earn me a few extra quid. I also have a fruit machine, drinks dispenser and one of those machines that ejects balls with crappy toys out one side and gumballs out the other. The point being that whilst I would happily play on a rom version of an arcade game without worrying about the ethics of it I would NOT allow random other people to play those same games on my equipment, especially not if they are paying 20p a time for the privaledge. Thats the kind of occasion when the authorities would become involved, a LOT more serious an issue. Also to raise the issue of space for these boards is a non starter - a standard jamma cabinet is more than big enough to house 20 loose arcade boards wrapped in bubble wrap in its lower half, or a single big box in the loft would also do nicely, its not as if they are that huge!

[edit] Just re-read the last post - I hope you weren't seriously calling ME a noob in an insulting way? (I figure it was probably aimed at 'retro' although I'm 90% sure he was joking) Yes I am new to the collecting MVS scene but I've been a collector of retro games, consoles and also an owner (several years ago now) of a few emulation related websites and guides, mostly for 8bit sega hardware. I'm more than aware of all moral and legal stands on the issue of emulation and roms, and personally have no preoblme using them in their place, just as I have no problem downloading the occassional MP3, or taping a show off TV and watching it more than once. I have spent enough money on CDs, DVDs, videogames in the last 10 years etc to keep the entire entertainment industry afloat for a few millenia ;)

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
Thiessen said:
Where on earth did I write that?

Right here.

Thiessen said:
I would like to legally own the games to play on it, eg want to own but not use the boards.

Thiessen said:
I would point out however that theres a huge difference between owning a rom and owning the actual original hardware - especially when it comes to console games if theres a particular title I still replay fairly often I will always buy the original from ebay or whatever to keep in my possession and own, the feel and look of the original box, cartridge, manuals etc is something you just can't appreciate from a few mbs of rom on a dvdr.

You'll find that you don't get boxes and manuals with PCBs so the difference in a ROM or the actual PCB is 0.

Thiessen said:
The Main reason I want these titles on arcade boards however is that I run a recording studio, and often have people coming round to use it. Those people are going to see the machines and want to use them too - heck they might even earn me a few extra quid. I also have a fruit machine, drinks dispenser and one of those machines that ejects balls with crappy toys out one side and gumballs out the other. The point being that whilst I would happily play on a rom version of an arcade game without worrying about the ethics of it I would NOT allow random other people to play those same games on my equipment, especially not if they are paying 20p a time for the privaledge. Thats the kind of occasion when the authorities would become involved, a LOT more serious an issue.

Why wouldn't you allow others to play ROMs on your equipment? Who is going to find out? You'll need a license if you plan to charge people to play your cabs anyway. You do know this right?

Thiessen said:
Also to raise the issue of space for these boards is a non starter - a standard jamma cabinet is more than big enough to house 20 loose arcade boards wrapped in bubble wrap in its lower half, or a single big box in the loft would also do nicely, its not as if they are that huge!

Lol. Do you mean 20 Cave boards? I'd like to see someone fit 20 CPS PCBs inside a cab.

Thiessen said:
[edit] Just re-read the last post - I hope you weren't seriously calling ME a noob in an insulting way? Yes I am new to the collecting MVS scene but I've been a collector of retro games, consoles...
Well I was calling you a n00b, if you want to take it as an insult that's up to you, but you are a n00b here.
Regardless of how many Master Systems you've owned back in the day, arcade hardware is a totally different ball game. Your original post stated that you wanted to buy broken PCBs to justify owning the ROMs, hence me informing you that it was nothing short of madness. Apparently this is not now what you meant, and has confused me to no end at the same time as cancelling out your first post.

What exactly are you after? Please be clear in order for us to help you.

Last edited:

Superfamifreak

Kula's Diamond
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
J0e Musashi said:
Right here.

You'll find that you don't get boxes and manuals with PCBs so the difference in a ROM or the actual PCB is 0.

Why wouldn't you allow others to play ROMs on your equipment? Who is going to find out? You'll need a license if you plan to charge people to play your cabs anyway. You do know this right?

Lol. Do you mean 20 Cave boards? I'd like to see someone fit 20 CPS PCBs inside a cab.

Well I was calling you a n00b, if you want to take it as an insult that's up to you, but you are a n00b here.
Regardless of how many Master Systems you've owned back in the day, arcade hardware is a totally different ball game. Your original post stated that you wanted to buy broken PCBs to justify owning the ROMs, hence me informing you that it was nothing short of madness. Apparently this is not now what you meant, and has confused me to no end at the same time as cancelling out your first post.

What exactly are you after? Please be clear in order for us to help you.

J0e 5
Thiessen 0

VALDEZ FTW!!!!1!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Meh, I don't see any problem in what Thiessen wants to do. That's what MAME, roms and emulators are supposedly for: to be able to use your own games without needing to un-storage them, or as a back-up if damaged.

By the way, to be *100%* legal you would still need to dump your own boards instead of downloading ROMZ. Anyway NOBODY will care if you own them or not.

Of course it is a bit twisted to buy already damaged boards just to get them cheaper, but well, it always pleases more to have something physical than just some binary code in a hard drive. I know some people will say that uncomplete games are "non-collectable" but I don't agree with that. As long as it is original it is worth something, of course less than a complete or minty game.

In any case I would never do something as extreme as this, although I do own very few loose arcade boards (like SF2 WW) because they are games I really love and I want to have them in the original form, although I never use them. Some might even have stopped working due to age, but I won't find out because ultimately I don't care.

And Daryl, you prefer to spend +300$ in an AW KOF XI cart than 60$ in the PS2 version, which is superior in just about every aspect, and we respect that although I don't agree. I don't see that much of a difference with this case.

Peace guys.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not flaming, I don't want to argue, I'm not treading on anyones toes. But to re-iterate:

You said
"I find it hard to believe that you are not going to d/l a ROM unless you own the real PCB of it either"
I said
"Where on earth did I write that?"
You said
"Right here."
I originally said, and you quoted
"I would like to legally own the games to play on it, eg want to own but not use the boards."

NOWHERE there does it state that I have not already downloaded roms in the past and nowhere does it say that I would ONLY play a rom if I owned the real pcb. As you pointed out that would be a stupid thing to say, and I didn't. I just pointed out that I wanted to buy some boards to make it legal.

I also didn't state that I wanted the pcbs because they would come with boxes, manuals etc, I merely was trying to point out that asthetically its nice to physically own something, not just a backup copy on a standard pc media. Saying owning a rom is the same as owning a pcb is like saying there is no difference between owning a (good quality fully working) bootleg MVS cart and an original MVS cart - and plenty of people on these boards will tell you otherwise :)

"Why wouldn't you allow others to play ROMs on your equipment? Who is going to find out? You'll need a license if you plan to charge people to play your cabs anyway. You do know this right?"
You've just answered your own question! YES I have to have a liscence (infact mostly only for the machines with prizes, for the games without I just had to fill in a form for the council). YES I have one. In fact several different liscences that I need for the different aspects of my business. Why on earth would I therefore TELL the authorities (by getting a liscence) that I was going to charge people to use a game, and then use an illegal copy of it knowing at any point my property and equipment could be checked? That would be insane!

Like I said not arguing directly with anyone, I just don't think my request is so crazy, or worth being (admittedly only mildly) insulted for. The reason I don't care if they are broken or not is that in the eventuality of it I'm not going to use the actual boards for playing the games from, as I don't have enough space for many many dedicated cabs. However I do have the space for the pcs, you mention CPS2 but even those aren't that big, esp as I'd only need the B boards, even a smallish house could fit very many in the loft or garage in boxes for storage!

Anyway, Peace, as people have said.

Amano Jacu - thanks for your post, makes a lot of sense. I realsise to be 100% watertight I should dump the roms myself but essentially as people have pointed out its hardly an offense that I would likely get in trouble for anyway, but I'd like to own the boards, especially if other people are going to be playing them for my own moral acceptance as much as for legal purposes.

Back on topic I have had a lot of people pming me with offers of games. Good stuff people thanks, please continue.

[edit] Sorry I missed your question:
"What exactly are you after? Please be clear in order for us to help you."

I stated what I was after in the first post, but I'll try to be clearer.

I want: Original Arcade pcs/jamma boards/cps1/2 etc.
Preferably: As cheap as possible
Condition: Doesn't matter. Faulty is fine. N sound board/A board/extras is fine.
As long as: They are original not bootlegs.
Games I'm MOST interested in: Listed above. But if you have other for real cheap, try me, I might be interested.
Other stuff I might be interested in if not too pricey (read under £100): Sega Model 1,2,3 games, working. Also various MVS games but thats not relevant for this thread.

Hope thats clear. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Without furthering the argument...

I think AJ has the right point... I would not worried about charging for illegal roms (plenty of arcades already do that anyway - I would say all of them in London have a 400 in 1 or bootleg MVS)...

Many of the PCB's you want are old and are big... You won't be fitting loads of CPS1 or 2 in a cab.

Personally I would buy a cab rather than building one; swapping games in and out is trivial even if there is a kick harness etc. Also having a game installed means that you really play it where as with Mame you are always tempted to quit and play something else.

Finally, mame is good for somethings but if you are going to go to all the effort of unstalling cabs and storing pcbs you might as well get the benefit of playing the real thing... Its much better seriously.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
Thiessen said:
You said
"I find it hard to believe that you are not going to d/l a ROM unless you own the real PCB of it either"
I said
"Where on earth did I write that?"
You said
"Right here."
I originally said, and you quoted
"I would like to legally own the games to play on it, eg want to own but not use the boards."

NOWHERE there does it state that I have not already downloaded roms in the past and nowhere does it say that I would ONLY play a rom if I owned the real pcb. As you pointed out that would be a stupid thing to say, and I didn't. I just pointed out that I wanted to buy some boards to make it legal.

To me the bold sentence implies that you want to own the PCB of every ROM you own too. Other things you write too like "I'd only need the B boards".

I'm still having trouble getting my head around your thread.
From what I can gather you want to put a MAME cab together, loaded with ROMs, but you also want to buy some faulty PCBs to make it legal.
This is the part what gets me. Why do you want to do this? You say that you are not going to use the PCBs for playing the games from, so why the hell are you wanting to buy them then? Then you say that your customers will indeed be playing the PCBs, as you won't have them play ROMs. This means you will need working PCBs after all. Can you see how I'm a bit confused?

By owning a few broken PCBs isn't going to make an iota of difference in regards to legality, unless you owned the PCB of every single ROM you had hence me thinking that this is what you wanted to do. I still don't understand the relevence between the PCBs and the ROMs. I still find you confusing. You either have morals or you don't. PCBs or ROMs, not this half and half nonsense you speak of.

If you had of just posted that you wanted to buy faulty PCBs then fair enough. It seems like you're telling us the reason you want to buy them, but then your reason makes no sense, and then what you actually want changes half-way through.

You are the new guy here, but you seem to be telling us about how you can fit 20 PCBs inside a cab or about how other users will tell me about MVS boots one minute and then asking questions the next. Do you want information or are you informing us of something?

I'm puzzled, so are some others, hence how we spoke about it in chat last night. It's like 2 threads are going on at once or summat equally as mental.

I hope your plan works out though, have a nice day.

Last edited:

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No thats not what I said. Obviously I have roms and I have a computer which I play them on. However for my mame machines I only want to put in my very favourite games, perhaps 20 or so per machine (upright and vertical) and these 2 machines will be pc and roms based but will only play roms I currently own pcbs for or have bought legally from places such as atari star roms and the midway cd from x-arcade. Pehaps I confused the issue by talking about several other matters, and for that I apologise. But I thought that would be better than openning up several simultaneous threads at once like a true noob ;)

I'm truly sorry for any confusing I casued by dicussing several issues at once, I thought that since they were related, it would be better than openning lots of threads, just as the rules of this board (which I read when I signed up) encoraged me not to do. As a side note I would be interested if you (Joe) have any cheap or broken boards you'd be willing to let go, since you're obviously both a respected trader and a collector of aracde stuff - if so let me know via pm :)

Thanks for all the continued email offers everyone, I am responding ot them all :buttrock:

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
Thiessen said:
No thats not what I said. Obviously I have roms and I have a computer which I play them on. However for my mame machines I only want to put in my very favourite games, perhaps 20 or so per machine (upright and vertical) and these 2 machines will be pc and roms based but will only play roms I currently own pcbs for or have bought legally from places such as atari star roms and the midway cd from x-arcade. Pehaps I confused the issue by talking about several other matters, and for that I apologise. But I thought that would be better than openning up several simultaneous threads at once like a true noob ;)

I'm truly sorry for any confusing I casued by dicussing several issues at once, I thought that since they were related, it would be better than openning lots of threads, just as the rules of this board (which I read when I signed up) encoraged me not to do. As a side note I would be interested if you (Joe) have any cheap or broken boards you'd be willing to let go, since you're obviously both a respected trader and a collector of aracde stuff - if so let me know via pm :)

Thanks for all the continued email offers everyone, I am responding ot them all :buttrock:

It seems as though you know what you want to do, so good luck with it.
I have a WWF Wrestlefest, a Soul Edge and a Saturday Night Slam Masters PCB if you're interested? They all work 100% though....right I didn't see that at first, I best send you a PM.