Un squadron pcb help Now with Pics

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Anyone in the U.S. Available to troubleshoot and fix my un squadron pcb? Game plays fine, has some graphical glitches here and there specialy at the bosses, it's like some of the sprites are missing or something. PM me and let me know how much, thanks!

Part of the tanks canon is gone.
un2.jpg

Gun turret is missing.
un4.jpg

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Just post pics of the issue and someone can probably point you in the right direction.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Anyone in the U.S. Available to troubleshoot and fix my un squadron pcb? Game plays fine, has some graphical glitches here and there specialy at the bosses, it's like some of the sprites are missing or something. PM me and let me know how much, thanks!

re-seat the 3 boards and test it. Then re-seat the e-proms. see if problem persists.

If you have another cps 1 board change the A board and see if you still have glitches. If answer is NO that means A board went bad.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I have tried all of the above. :(

well did you determine the problem was in the A board? If that is the case... repair would be a pain and most probably too expensive to be feasible.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
I've put another game in the in A board and it worked, I think the problem is one of the rom chips or the ram, game plays great, the glitches mostly happen at the bosses, I'll post pics soon.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
With CPS1 and video, they are somewhat notorious for having connection issues between the B + C boards. Pushing on the custom and other chips besides the EPROMs can lead to fixing the issue as it could be something simple like a bad solder joint or worst case a failing Custom which requires a donor board. Doesn't sound like an A board issue at all.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
I'll try that for sure, i have reseated everything and cleaned that crap out of all 3 boards. Added some pics of whats going on to the original post.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I've put another game in the in A board and it worked, I think the problem is one of the rom chips or the ram, game plays great, the glitches mostly happen at the bosses, I'll post pics soon.

Try putting the UN squadron B+C in another A and see if glitches persist. That would be easiest way to determine what board is giving you the troubles.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Try putting the UN squadron B+C in another A and see if glitches persist. That would be easiest way to determine what board is giving you the troubles.

I tried putting the b and c boards in a magic sword A board, street fighter 2 hf and willow A boards, all ending in the same result

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Doesn't sound like an A board issue at all.

I had similar issue and it was the A board.. had to scrap it :(

I tried putting the b and c boards in a magic sword A board, street fighter 2 hf and willow A boards, all ending in the same result

Good to know that the A board hasn't gone bad..as they are real pain to repair ..if even possible.

Once the B and C boards separated ... check the legs for corrosion and possible bending.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Just so i fully understand the A board is the bottom correct? B is the game and C is the little one?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Just so i fully understand the A board is the bottom correct? B is the game and C is the little one?

Correct.

From the sound of things you have a C-Board connection issue or a bad CPS-B-11 GPU. The B-boards very rarely have any problems.
After you clean and reseat the C-Board you can try and manipulate the connection a bit to see if you get any graphical changes.
One of my Street Fighters will not display any backgrounds, but when I slightly pull up one corner or the C-board it works 100%

If you have another board with the same CPS-B-11 (like a World Warrior) you can swap the C-boards and follow the problem that way.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Ok since you confirmed the A,B and C boards are working you need to checksum all the mask and eproms in a programmer.

bustedstr8

I have an Area 88 I can use to test the layers and Cps parts boards to grab connectors if needed. I can verify the roms as well. The other common problem with these boards is the GPU itself which is a common fault and game ender.

bustedstr8

CPS Double KO!! :angry:

The PPU on mrjiggs C-board is toast and the A-Board on my Area 88 died since I last used it about a year ago.

Owning CPS1 is just a fucking liability these days.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
If you have another board with the same CPS-B-11 (like a World Warrior) you can swap the C-boards and follow the problem that way.

Mine's are B17's. I don't know if they're compatible despite being the same game.
If they work just as well as B11's, I can spare one to make that UN Squadron return to its proper health :cool:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
CPS Double KO!! :angry:

The PPU on mrjiggs C-board is toast and the A-Board on my Area 88 died since I last used it about a year ago.

Owning CPS1 is just a fucking liability these days.

I feel your pain dude. The only boards that have ever died while in my possession have been cps1. Just about every board besides those still work provided they were working the day I got them.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I don't have that game to test, but I think your problem could be related to the LCD monitor you are using, there are games were some graphics use a flickering technique to simulate transparencies, just like the character shadows in Neogeo games, have you tried that board on a 15khz CRT?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
This is the reason I sold all my cps1 boards and just play them through emulation nowadays...it was nice having my favourites but too much of a liability...started out with six a boards, ended with three.