Was the Neo AES localized in Canada?

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
I'm particularly curious about this.

For all of you US residents, basically, a product localized in Canada will have it's documentation and packaging in English and French, but the game will almost always be in English.

I'm thinking the answer is no because of the similarities between Canada and the States, especially considering it would have been costly for SNK. Though, the only real way to know is by asking here I guess.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
I've don't think they did that for the Neo Geo. I don't think companies were actually fully required to do that until around 2000. Sometimes some systems themselves would come with both french and english manuals anyways, but I don't think that was the case with the Neo.

Sometimes you will see games that came with both french and english manuals, but those are from Europe.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No.

Like darco said, games didn't start caring about Canadians until the last gen.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
No.

Like darco said, games didn't start caring about Canadians until the last gen.

That's just not true.

I've got several NES carts that have both English and French on the back. I've seen many examples of this before the 2000 mark. I was just wondering if the NEO-GEO was localized too, or if SNK just figued English was good enough and counted the States and Canada as one region.

IMO, I wish more companies would stop caring about the damn Quebec frenchies so much. English is now the dominant language in Canada. >_>

But then again, the collector side of me likes it how Canadian releases are a bit more rare than US releases, making them more valuable. :)

Last edited:

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
Watch your tone. The last thing this boards needs is more flaming

I like having biligual products myself. I've probably just gotten used to it. Now when I see some product in the states I start wondering why the packaging doesn't look so cluttered :p

did KOFXI have bilingual manuals in Canada? The release was really late over here so I just got the US one. Wonder if language laws held them up.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
They were probably wary enough about releasing the AES in the US (a richer country than Canada)(and making a profit), so they probably didn't want to spend money localizing it to Canada. They probably knew that Canadians who wanted it would just mail order it from US distributors over the border(mailing distance/cost would not be very much). The AES was to some extent a promotional item for the arcade MVS, and obviously the US was a bigger market for that than Canada.

French is a dying language anyway, English is the winning language of the world.
Don't just about all Canadians know how to speak English anyway? Does it matter if the US versions were localized to Canada? Canada is a British colony anyway, so all it's people should know how to speak English(even if French is also an official language, that's just to keep the French-speaking people happy).

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
you have two neogeo distributor in Canada ( i don't know the name but i think i remember you have one in quebec )
In france the distributor give french manual (very poor quality) with the game, and you could have some steaker on the box (i see it only for the CD)

on this page

http://neogeocdworld.info/html/pub/manuels/manuels.htm

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
did KOFXI have bilingual manuals in Canada? The release was really late over here so I just got the US one. Wonder if language laws held them up.

It was released with bilingual packaging and a french manual only (lame).
Same with NGBC.

Koopa64, some games had international packaging prior to 2000. See Canadian Genesis titles with a Megadrive label for proof.

I never said that bilingual game packaging wasn't around prior to 2000, just that it wasn't required until around that time. Same with radio stations, around that same time they had to start broadcasting a certain percentage of Canadian content.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Koopa64, some games had international packaging prior to 2000. See Canadian Genesis titles with a Megadrive label for proof.

I know, I in fact own a Canadian copy of Sonic 1 for Genesis. Everything is European on it except for the Genesis logo in a few places. I could post pics if anyone wants to see.

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
well that explains why my golden axe cart from way back had a megadrive sticker on it