Waseem Daker goes on a hunger strike

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Didn't hambeast admit to lying the entire time?

lawyers explain pls

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Didn't hambeast admit to lying the entire time?

lawyers explain pls

Sounds like the court will consider whether to give him a new trial based upon the recantation at the hearing in August.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Sounds like the court will consider whether to give him a new trial based upon the recantation at the hearing in August.

Yep, this seems like the more important information in that article. The hunger strike and harassment accusations might just be Waseem trying to stay higher profile (which seems smart to me at least, not sure what council would think).

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Hunger strikes almost never work. Unless your goal is to lose weight.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think being emaciated would make his image look more helpless.

Maybe he read about it in a book.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
i hope he gets out!!!
great friend and all around nice guy. Spent most of his life in prison on bunk charges... I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

bokmeow

Hunger strikes almost never work. Unless your goal is to lose weight.

I dunno, it seems to have worked for the Guantanamo detainees, who have otherwise languished in that prison and forgotten by the American public after over a decade.

And in this instance, it appears to have gotten the notice of the local media.

I think people who say XXX tactic doesn't work are those who have little understanding of the way people communicate and the way human psychology works.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Daker was sentenced to life in prison plus 47½ years

Only in 'murica. I was wondering, will they keep his body in jail for 47½ years after he dies?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Can they at least delay the trial until the AF3 thing runs it's course? I don't have enough time on my drama schedule to juggle multiple members.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
i hope he gets out!!!
great friend and all around nice guy. Spent most of his life in prison on bunk charges... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The dude did not do it obviously. It's fucked up it's gotten to this point. They need to free him and hope he does not sue the hell out of the state. Hunger strikes are bad. They can screw up your body forever malnutrition has lasting effects. If he totally refuses to eat eventually they will insert a feeding tube. Bad news.

aria

Former Moderator
I think I can find some leftover boxes (NOS) of shirts online that say "Free Tookie" and we can have them quickly sharpied to say Waseem! I was originally thinking Mumia, but his stuff still sells I think. We can start calling him a political prisoner!

Seriously though, I hope he gets an actual attorney for this hearing. He needs a fair crack at justice, what he had in his previous trial was handicapped by his own inabilities as a lay person trying to take on a case that's complicated for a lawyer.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I dunno, it seems to have worked for the Guantanamo detainees, who have otherwise languished in that prison and forgotten by the American public after over a decade.

And in this instance, it appears to have gotten the notice of the local media.

I think people who say XXX tactic doesn't work are those who have little understanding of the way people communicate and the way human psychology works.

The Guantanamo detainees are free? No doubt any attention seeking behavior will get you noticed, but will it get you what you want?

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Stop it.

Nothing is obvious. You sound like a tool.

Maybe obvious is the wrong word but when the star witness says I lied about everything and he is innocent that's a strong indicator for a wrongly imprisoned person that's at there wits end rightfully so . I know people that were really good friends with him and say he was a good person. Not trying to sound like a tool just sticking up for a what I think. I can't imagine the hell being incarcerated for something I did not do for years.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The only obvious thing is that there needs to be a new trial and hopefully Waseem will not represent himself.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The only obvious thing is that there needs to be a new trial and hopefully Waseem will not represent himself.

I agree he needs a real lawyer this time. Representing yourself is never a great idea.

bokmeow

The Guantanamo detainees are free? No doubt any attention seeking behavior will get you noticed, but will it get you what you want?

Rome wasn't built in a day. The hunger strike highlighted the fact that this issue is still hanging like an albatross over our necks; furthermore, after news of the hunger strike made the headlines, new information revealed that 40 detainees were cleared for released, not found guilty of any wrongdoing, yet still they are imprisoned. These new facts have contributed to increasing public support for closing Guantanamo Bay — remaining obstacles are obviously the security rhetoric that allows politicians and prison complexes to keep them locked up, the racial profiling of Arabs and muslims, and the public's lukewarm engagement (which heated up from stone cold, so that helps) on the issue.

The fact that we're even talking about hunger strikes is also an indication that there is increased interest in this non-violent tactic, but also extreme measure that puts the striker at serious risk of death.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
bok

you are the only one who cares about this

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've been waiting for Guantanamo to be closed since Obama said he was going to do it back in '09.