Wells Gardner K7000 red issue...

Opel

n00b
Hi all,

So I've got a monitor that won't do anything with its red other than run it full-blast on the screen. Playing with the two mini-pots on the neck board for that color have zero effect. I still have more things I can look at on the chassis boards, but the one question I'm wanting to ask here is: Could this be a tube problem? I don't work on a lot of CRTs any more, but from what I remember, problem tubes will *not* make a certain color, but I don't remember them doing this sort of thing I'm seeing with this unit.

Always glad this forum is still alive!!! I should make a point of checking in here more often...

- Justin -

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
If you're careful, you can ground the color pins on the neckboard to confirm if it's a tube issue. Grounding each color should make the entire screen that solid color, so if a color doesn't appear then the guns are shot. Like you said though, I've only ever had monitors not display colors instead of only displaying a particular color, grounding the pins is a quick way to circumvent the chassis though

Look up the process before attempting what I described though, obviously lol

Opel

n00b
Okay, now here's a weird twist to the story (I think??): I replaced IC1, which did measure out weird on its red pin, compared to the blue and green pin, and now when the tube's powered up, instead of having red running full-blast and not adjustable, instead there is just NO RED. What are the chances of a new replacement IC having a bad circuit in the same color as the failed previous IC??