Went to the SF4 release party

Einhander

Crazed MVS Addict
So I got to go to the SF4 party last night in downtown LA. The scene was pretty crazy. I would say that there were maybe 3000 people in line waiting to get in. The line was literally more than a mile long I would say, and it wasn't moving at all. They were just letting controlled groups of 100 in at a time but people were still in good spirits.

Fortunately, I had a press connection to get in and I feel lucky for that. I heard that later they turned down about 2000 people when the fire marshalls showed up but I didn't know about that until this morning. Sucky.

Inside was setup very nicely. It was in this huge room with a partial wall in the middle deviding the room and several small side rooms. There were probably 50 or so kiosk setups of console SF4s spread out in the large room. Some with sticks, most with pads. There was a section with a row of jap cabs that were being played fiercely. In one of the rooms they had this contest where if you could get a 15 game win streak, they would give you a 12 inch Chun-li statue. That room was packed for the whole night.

One side of the large room was the stage where they did all the celebrity stuff. They had some of the cast of the new Street Fighter movie come up to promote it and showed a small clip. It looks awful. If you didn't see the Street Fighter title at the end of the clip, you wouldn't know that it is a movie about anything Street Fighter related. They had some dance crew do a routine and they had DJ Qbert doing a pretty long scratch session that was quite impressive.

Other things around -- they had a Street Fighter artist (I know he is well known but I don't know his name). You stood there while he drew a quick bust portrait of an SF character and signed it (V LO or something). Pretty awesome art he was doing and so effortless. They had a metal etching station where you picked a template drawing of an SF4 character and they take your iPhone and etch the design on the back of it. It was very impressive. I also saw Bai Ling walking around in a little red chinese dress. :buttrock:

*edit* Some other things I forgot -- They had this art room where they showed a lot of Udon art panels on the wall with a Street Fighter clothing line incased in glass below. On a side room of that was a merchandise room, where they had a lot of the new SF figures in group poses under glass, as well as the MadCatz faceplates, sticks and pads. In one other room, they had this lounge are where they were looping the new Street Fighter anime (not sure what it is called). The room was empty...

I only managed to get a swag bag which included:
-An Event Shirt
- a small Chun Li figure
- an Udon Comic
- a flyer for a tournament in Universal City Walk
- some random SF card
- a poster

They only gave away a few games and they went to the people that were screaming the loudest during one of the stage spots. Overall, I had a pretty good time and I think that it was an overall success. I took cell phone shots of the event but the message board here says that I'm not allowed to post attachments. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Pretty cool stuff.

As for the pix... if you really can't find anywhere to put them, email them to me and I'll host them.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Sounds awesome I'm glad this game has so much hype. So much slaughtering to do online when this game comes out

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
V LO Is Long Vo, who is a former Udon artist and was the lead artist for the sprite artwork in SF2 HD Remix. For a short time, he did some art for the SF2 Udon comic series, and has done other artwork for comics including Last Shot and X-Men Evolution (I believe it was based on that TV series where the X-Men group were kids in high school).

I wish I could have been there to see the grand opening, but yeah I would have been pissed if I couldn't get in.

aria

Former Moderator
I must admit I'm holding back on mocking people that got in a line of 3000 people to try a video game.

The location test for SvC was the first and probably only time I'm bothering with something like that, and that was just to meet up with people.