What are the best horizontal Jamma shooters?

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
I just got a new SFII arcade cabinet (new for me not brand new)and while I love this game I also love shooters. What are some of the best horizontal shooters available on Jamma? Thanks

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cps II:
Mars Matrix
Giga Wing
Eco Fighters
Powered Gear

Neo Geo:
Strikers 1945 Plus
Aero Fighters 2/3
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Last Resort(tho I don't particularly Like it)

Naomi/Dreamcast:
Border Down

Other PCB:
Zero Wing
R-Type
Gradius
Turtle Ship

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that games on the same hardware will have the same monitor outputs. So if your running a CPS1 SF2, then all CPS1 shooters will be displayed perfectly on your monitor. Likewise if your playing a version of Super Street Fighter II on CPS2, then other CPS2 games will have the same monitor settings. I don't have many CPS1 games (just mercs) but I believe they have the same (or similar) monitor dimensions as CPS2 games.

I'm just mentioning this because lots of USA cabs have the monitor controls way in the back and they really aren't worth adjusting every time if you plan on switching games a lot.

I'll have to second Progear. Game is top notch. Also, if you haven't, upgrade to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
Would I be able to play a vertical shooter instead or do I have to get horizontal shooters only? ALso I do not want to take out my moniter if that helps......:loco:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Would I be able to play a vertical shooter instead or do I have to get horizontal shooters only? ALso I do not want to take out my moniter if that helps......:loco:

There's nothing stopping you from using a vertical shooter in a horizontal cab, but it would be pretty dumb. lol... you can rotate that if you put the frame in a certain way. You would have to modify the cab to do it, but anything's possible.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
There's nothing stopping you from using a vertical shooter in a horizontal cab, but it would be pretty dumb. lol... you can rotate that if you put the frame in a certain way. You would have to modify the cab to do it, but anything's possible.

I'm not going to lie. When I got my first vert pcb (ESP Ra.De.) I was saddened to find out it was near impossible to rotate my Super Neo 29 easily.

So I rotated the PCBs on my Sanwa sticks. :lolz:

Fast forward to now and I have 2 dedicated vert cabs and no hori.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that games on the same hardware will have the same monitor outputs. So if your running a CPS1 SF2, then all CPS1 shooters will be displayed perfectly on your monitor. Likewise if your playing a version of Super Street Fighter II on CPS2, then other CPS2 games will have the same monitor settings. I don't have many CPS1 games (just mercs) but I believe they have the same (or similar) monitor dimensions as CPS2 games.

This is incorrect. Not all games on the same hardware display the same.

For example:

Most CPS2 games are horizontal, but Dimahoo requires a vertical monitor.

Most ST-V games are horizontal, but Shienryu requires a vertical monitor.

Most PGM games are horizontal, but DodonPachi 2 requires a vertical monitor.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
This is incorrect. Not all games on the same hardware display the same.

For example:

Most CPS2 games are horizontal, but Dimahoo requires a vertical monitor.

Most ST-V games are horizontal, but Shienryu requires a vertical monitor.

Most PGM games are horizontal, but DodonPachi 2 requires a vertical monitor.

thats correct. but those are all vertical shooters. i guess what i was saying is that you won't have to adjust any of the monitors vertical or horizontal settings. You would for those games have to rotate the monitor. But you can switch directly from dimahoo to marvel v capcom without messing with the pots. All I'm trying to say really.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't most US upright Cabs use WG K monitors?
every WG K monitor I've had came with a remote board....
Cocktails on the other hand, are a pain in the ass to adjust.

Also,

Has anyone tried to play a vertical shooter with rewired (rotated) controls? I guess some games might work that way.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Have you tried that norton? You can do that with the console version of Ikaruga (have it displayed full screen on a normal TV, and have the controls rotated horizontal to match). Even though up is up and down is down, it feels really weird. I actually did much worse than when playing on a shrunk screen.

Oh,and another good horizontall shmup iss G-Darius. And a good vertical shmup in a horizontal monitor is Soukyugurentai for STV.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sengoku Blade
Gradius III/IV
Soukyugurentai
Radiant Silvergun
Cotton 2/Boomerang
Guardian Force
Thunderforce AC
Salamander 2

Most are straight up jamma boards or STV carts.

Most should be affordable.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
DeathSmiles

This cracks me up. Not that it's not worth recommending, but...
"Hey, I hear you just got your first cab and are new to hori shooters. Here's an $800 game you might like. Only chumps roll with cheap ass pcbs"
But if you have the $, go for it.

U.N. Squadron (Area 88) and Carrier Air Wing are also two fun games that haven't been mentioned. And they can both be found for under $100.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
This cracks me up. Not that it's not worth recommending, but...
"Hey, I hear you just got your first cab and are new to hori shooters. Here's an $800 game you might like. Only chumps roll with cheap ass pcbs"
But if you have the $, go for it.

You got all that out of me saying "DeathSmiles"? He never mentioned a price range so why not give him some recommendations in all of them. You don't know his financial situation.

But the best is RADIANT SILVERGUN!:)it rocks without problems!:buttrock:Is too expensive and is my favourite vertical shooter!:vik:

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
This thread needs some Xexex and G-Darius lovin'