What cab is this?

Tech&Music

Another Striker
I have been given the opportunity to pick up an arcade cab for just €50. I still need to find someone who is willing to drive for me, but the seller's OK with keeping it reserved for me until I can pick it up. It has a Neo Geo MVS board in it now, but it doesn't appear to be an SNK cab. I've been Google-ing a bit, but I can't identify the cab. Any arcade collector know what cab this is?
$_85 (1).JPG$_85.JPG

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Never seen one like that before. But I would buy on pure principal.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the board alone is almost worth that.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Oh, I'm definitely getting it. The seller told me they bought it at an auction for €80, but ended up not having the space for it at home. They immediately accepted my offer of €50. It's currently safely and dryly stored at their in-laws, and it's promised to me for that prize, I only need to drive down there, pay, and get it. Just asking what cab it is, because I want to turn it into an universal JAMMA/MAME cab, and I'd love to see if I can get a different control panel for it since this one is just 3 buttons per player. And I'm also just generally curious what model/make this cab is.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
That thing is awesome, never seen it before. They might know on arcade otaku forum. I wouldn't mame it or swap the CP, something so unique maybe should be kept original, plus all the best games are 3 buttons anyways :p i wonder if the monitor tates to play vertical games?

You know, I have seen that shape control panel on yahoo japan before. Might offer a clue if that auction still exists, I'll let you know if I can find it.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
You know, I have seen that shape control panel on yahoo japan before. Might offer a clue if that auction still exists, I'll let you know if I can find it.

Sit down cabs weren't a Japan exclusive, I have come across to a few arcade machines made in Argentina for the local market, I have even seen a few which look similar to that one, they are made of metal, with 19" Hantarex monitors and awkward button layouts, but...chances of these units being imported from the Netherlands are dim to say the least.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looks pretty sweet! If you get it post some more pics of the cab, the inside and the monitor

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Yeah, looking at it again I think you are right. Probably not from japan and probably not the same control panel I remember seeing. I'm not even so sure that the panel in the pics above are stock, if you look closely the overlay seems to not line up with the metal. :scratch:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's all white. It'd make a great fridge conversion haha! :keke:

I like it. Would flip the monitor on that one tho.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Looks like it would be especially great with the monitor in tate for shmups, definitely get it!

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Well, we picked it up yesterday. It was quite the ride, but we got it here in the end. I'm still none the wiser on what cab this is! It's supplied by M.H.P. Enterprises Ltd., an UK company that dissolved in November 1998, according to the Internet. There's no other branding on it.

The MV-1FZ was stock, as it also has gotten "MHP" written on it, as well as a sticker with the company's old address. The game inside is a nice, legit copy of Super Side Kicks. The arcade cabinet came out of the sellers' local soccer club's canteen, so it's no surprise that game was picked. It does need some attention.

The monitor, which is a Hantarex MTC 9110 (there's a service manual that came with it for the monitor), is a little sick. It's quite blurry, a tiny bit twitchy, there's more whine coming from the monitor than what would be usual for a CRT, and there's a spot where the colours are a bit iffy. This might be fixable by degaussing, because when I looked at the machine at the sellers' parents place, where they had put it for the time being, there was a little spot in the upper part of the screen where the colours were really off, like green being blue. Now that spot moved to the lower part of the screen, and isn't as bad as it was there. I still suspect bad caps and perhaps even a flyback going out. Also, I don't think it tates.

I didn't get keys, I'll email the seller if they maybe still have them and if so can send me them in an envelope, if not, I'll just drill them out and replace them.
There's also no sound, they told me it used to work but suddenly stopped. I'm more suspecting the wiring of the cab, than the Neo board, since I hear no pop or such when I turn the cab on.
The cab has been well used, the control panel has some bubbles going on, the Player 1 and 2 buttons are worn, it has the odd scratch here and there, but hey, I'm not complaining. The buttons are still clicky as are the joysticks.

Only thing that happened to the cab is that sadly there's a chip in the glass that wasn't there when we looked at it there, but I might be able to solve that with one of those car windshield chip resin fix packets.
Still, for €50, like I said, I'm not complaining at all. This should be a fun project, and I can always get other JAMMA boards for other games. As for adding more buttons, I might do that at some point, but since I still kinda suck at games, I can always play easier games with less buttons first, before I move on to other games with more buttons :lolz:

Here's some photos, I'll make more once I can get the cab opened up.
Spoiler:
P_20160716_000450.jpg
P_20160716_000508.jpg
P_20160716_000515.jpg

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice little cab, awesome price. Hope you get the issues sorted.

What are you going to start with? I think I'd try to tackle the sound first, that should be relatively easy to sort (if you have a means to test the Neo board on its own).

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Yep, sound is the first order of business when I'm opening it up, as well as replacing the battery on the Neo Geo (It's still holding a charge and hasn't corroded, but still, I don't want that to happen either). Then either the CRT or glass, depending on what I can get my hands on first (cap kit or glass repair kit). Then from there I'll work on whatever cosmetics I can fix up (I'll probably replace the Player 1 and 2 start buttons). Adding more buttons is pretty much the lowest priority now.

EDIT: And I need to rewire the buttons. When Player 1 hits button 1, Player 2 does so too. Same for the other buttons. No idea who wired that up :lolz:

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like it will be a nice project!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
This is a very fascinating find I like it. I'm curious to see how far you can go with it as it seems like a really nice project if you have the know how to do it yourself and with friends. Even though it has the MVS in it, it's also very unique and has lots of possibilities for the future.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
With the Hantarex and all it seems like a GB/UK affair. Try the UKVAC for id.

It's by some company called M.H.P. Enterprises Ltd., so yes, it is an UK cab. I'll be sure to ask over there if they have any more info on it.