What do you recommend using for cleaning a plasma screen?

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Hey all.

Wasn't sure if this fitted better in the non-related forum or not but it is directly related to my current gaming setup so I thought it'd be ok here :lolz: Edit: if its not, feel free to move it

I have a Panasonic P42X10 plasma and up until now I'd just gently clean the screen surface with a soft cloth or some cotton wool for dust/fingerprints..

However I noticed some really ugly marks today and I believe they have come from an spray type air freshener that was used recently. (I will kill my flatmate lol) I tried wiping with dry cotton wool but the marks wont go away..

The best way I can explain them is white transparent blemishes/dots.. I assume I'll need to use some sort of liquid but I don't want to cause any clouding or streaks.. the tv has NEVER been cleaned with any liquid before.

What do you guys suggest?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Its fucked. There was an anti reflective coating on it, its now rooted. Either polish it all off and live with the fine surface scratches and reflections, or live with it the way it is.

I suggest you get rid of it and get a proper television. ( at least you got the brand right )

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Its fucked. There was an anti reflective coating on it, its now rooted. Either polish it all off and live with the fine surface scratches and reflections, or live with it the way it is.

I suggest you get rid of it and get a proper television. ( at least you got the brand right )

What do you mean its fucked? Depending on your next response, I may have to kill someone!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Clean your plasma with smegma.

NEO-GEO man

What do you mean its fucked? Depending on your next response, I may have to kill someone!

Its pretty simple, its rooted mate, the coating is no longer with us.

The factory thought it required an anti reflective coating, and it is no longer in good condition.

Shoot the barstard.

Either way, its a perfect excuse to sell him that plasma and get a REAL display.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Take it you are referring to a CRT? Don't worry sir I already have 2 in the house.. but I still play retro stuff on my plasma and they play like a dream!

NEO-GEO man

Yep, a CRT. I was going to say i thought id seen you post somewhere that you had a CRT!!

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Yep, a CRT. I was going to say i thought id seen you post somewhere that you had a CRT!!

I have 2 mate! But it doesn't mean that I love my plasma any less :) Playing emulated games with scanlines on the plasma is almost just as good as playing on a crt.. with the right settings that is..

Then of course theres the matter of HD gaming and HD movies.. cant really do all that on a crt can i? :)

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Kinda hard to find a CRT that is both 16:9 and 40+ inches. When you get to that range, you will either need to get a projector or rear projection (both which are very expensive).

Plasmas are easily the best tech out there when compared to LCD/LED(which is just LCD). The one thing I can't stand about LCDs is the motion blur.

I am not sure what will take off the coating completely, just google it.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
Just get a microfiber cloth towel and a cheap lcd/plasma cleaner from walmart and see if that doesn't work. If it doesn't, I would call a repair shop and ask for advice and hope for the best.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Kinda hard to find a CRT that is both 16:9 and 40+ inches. When you get to that range, you will either need to get a projector or rear projection (both which are very expensive).

Plasmas are easily the best tech out there when compared to LCD/LED(which is just LCD). The one thing I can't stand about LCDs is the motion blur.

My CRT projector was $480 ( and its VERY easy to find them for that and less ) goes up to 2500x2000 resolution ( way beyond what most people call HD ) and the screen is 125 inch when in 4:3. No motion blur, no grey blacks, and no pixels ;)

NEO-GEO man

Then of course theres the matter of HD gaming and HD movies.. cant really do all that on a crt can i? :)
Why not? 4 of the CRTs i have here will do 1920x1080, one of them goes way higher than that. One of them is 16:9 as well, the 2 CRT projectors are any aspect you like.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Plasma is the best current affordable tech out there... Unless you wanna play retro games. I don't have much room at all so I'm kind of forced to play all of my retro systems through a Plasma. If you get good cables, a line doubler, scaler, and/or scanline generator they can look pretty damn good on a Plasma.

NEO-GEO man

CRT projection easily smokes all but the 100 and 150 inch Panasonic 4k plasma TVs and is substantially cheaper too.

If you dont have the space its no good to you.

Cables have almost nothing to do with it, provided they are copper and have decent ends, use whatever you like unless its HDMI ( which is only CAT2 STP anyway ) or youre running the cable 10 meters. There is nothing special about the dearer cables ( like Monster ) and youre kidding yourself if you think you can see a difference. Copper wire is copper wire.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
CRT projection easily smokes all but the 100 and 150 inch Panasonic 4k plasma TVs and is substantially cheaper too.

If you dont have the space its no good to you.

Cables have almost nothing to do with it, provided they are copper and have decent ends, use whatever you like unless its HDMI ( which is only CAT2 STP anyway ) or youre running the cable 10 meters. There is nothing special about the dearer cables ( like Monster ) and youre kidding yourself if you think you can see a difference. Copper wire is copper wire.

Some of those old CRT projectors are pretty amazing.. The higher end ones are still pretty pricey though and they are big too. I'd still take a Plasma over one. My Panasonic VT35 doesn't take up much space and displays a fucking beautiful picture.

NEO-GEO man

Sure they take up abit of space, but the colours are more correct, the contrast ratio is better, and there is no pixels. While they might be bigger, so is the image.

NEO-GEO man

I have done yes, but i will again for you here ;)

5:4 screen:
DSCN0168.jpg

1.78:1 screen:
Screen16to9.jpg

2.35:1 screen:
Screen.jpg

The bedroom rig:
Newsetups4.jpg

NECMultiSync2.jpg

Inputs:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Computers/XG4.jpg

From the front:
Newsetups7.jpg

Ill post some game shots for you soon.

NEO-GEO man

NEO-GEO shots from an AES, taken from the other side of the room:
SamuraiShodown2.jpg

PanicBomber2-1.jpg

576i from the Sega Saturn:
VF2Saturn.jpg

And these are shots i threw in to show you the difference between analog CRT and digital, same screen, same lighting conditions, same camera, same scene paused on the same Panasonic Bluray player, Star Wars Episode 1 Bluray, both connected using the same HDMI cable:

Analog, 1920x1080i, NEC XG CRT:
Screen2.jpg

Digital, 1920x1080p, Mitsubishi DLP:
Screen1.jpg

Ofcourse the Mitsubishi DLP looks quite mind boggling in the flesh, until you see it on the NEC CRT...

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Very nice man! Although not the root I want to take for neo.. Ill probably make do with a 29" trinitron for AES or CMVS.. and go for a candy cab for proper MVS..

Also I may aswel mention that the reason I went for plasma was because it was the closest thing to crt and has AMAZING deep blacks, contrast ratio and colours!

P.S. Love the pink mega drive box! :) Is that some sort of LE?

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

That was the standard one here in Australia at the end of the Mega Drive run.

Plasma has pixels, CRT does not, although the contrast ratio on plasma is better than any type of LCD, it doesnt touch the top end CRTs. No plasma will ever properly display 240p or 576i.

Id aim for an NEC over a Sony any day, especially if sharpness and correct colours are important to you. An XM29 will smoke a Sony ;)

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I'll have a google in the next few days then.. but its still nice comparing my plasma to the shitty LCDs and LEDs that all my friends have! Plus I did do my homework with that particular model.

Plus I got it for 300 euros in as new condition last summer so you can't really complain there ;)

Edit: Plus.. I like using the word plus quite alot it seems... -_-

NEO-GEO man

Panasonic are still one of the better consumer grade brands around.

Having said all you have, and if it came to such small screens and digital, id take i Japanese made commercial grade NEC LCD over any plasma any day. You wont like the price though.