What happened to the Jurassic Park video games?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
With the announcement of the new JP movie coming out it got me thinking, what happened to the video games? JP actually had some great games bucking the "Movie games always suck" trend, the Genesis games rocked, the Game Gear/Master System games are incredibly overlooked and underrated, Operation Genesis was addictive as hell and let my inner child out, and then there was Trespasser. Let's talk about Trespasser.

I feel like Trespasser was a game that came out too early, it had so much potential. It had an expansive and immersive world that pushed the limits of what PC's could do at the time, it was the Far Cry of it's time and that's it, it shares so much resemblance to the Far Cry series I can't imagine the developers of FC didn't take any cues from Trespasser. With the wide open world and the realistic perspective and lush enviroment. Unfortunately the game ended up feeling rushed and unfinished with the ending being incredible underwhelming.

I feel there is a huge missed opportunity to make a truly epic JP game, all they have to do is give the rights to the makers of Far Cry series. Just imagine FC 3 and 4 but with Dinosaurs, instead of bases to take over your taking over research labs to steal Dino DNA to sell to the highest bidder to make cash to buy new weapons and equipment. Instead of hunting or being hunted by tigers and wolves it's Raptors and T-Rexes. Instead of riding an elephant into battle your riding a Triceratops wielding a Light Machinegun. Maybe you will say to me, we don't need another game to try to rip off Far Cry, but look at the latest Tomb Raider reboot, it obviously copied the Uncharted formula but it worked flawlessly and was truly epic.

While playing Far Cry 3 a couple years ago I felt like it was so obvious that they were going to make a JP movie game or at least DLC with dinosaurs. If you listened to some of the enemies talk to each other you could hear them make references to another island and saying stuff like "At least were not on that other island with the dinosaurs" ah well maybe I'm just dreaming here.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
jp1 on megadrive was amazing

you could be a raptor

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
jp1 on megadrive was amazing

you could be a raptor

Hell yes that was my first JP game as a kid and I loved it, playing as grant was ok but frustrating they should of just made the whole game about playing as the Rapter.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Trespasser is the best Minnie Driver simulator ever made.

Hours of fun to be had by contorting her wrist into odd positions and hitting the 'replay last voice line' button. More games should use boobs as a health indicator.

In all seriousness Trespasser is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time. Once you get the hang of the weird controls it's a blast. It's a game everyone should experience even if just for the novelty. I've always been a huge fan of Jurassic Park and dinosaurs in general though.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
While playing Far Cry 3 a couple years ago I felt like it was so obvious that they were going to make a JP movie game or at least DLC with dinosaurs. If you listened to some of the enemies talk to each other you could hear them make references to another island and saying stuff like "At least were not on that other island with the dinosaurs" ah well maybe I'm just dreaming here.

Dude, you REALLY need to play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon!!! It's like an 80s/early 90s version of the future with T-Rex's that shoot fucking laser beams out of their eyes!!

Really anyone who liked Far Cry 3 is doing themselves a disservice if they haven't played Blood Dragon.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Probably gonna get trampled by the SEGA Genesis JP fan club, but I thought the SNES & NES versions of JP were the best of the lot. I played the MD versions and didn't enjoy them anywhere near as much. Also, JP2 on SNES is great, but horribly overlooked. It's an awesome 2P co-op, Contra style.

For those of you who never played the 3DO version of JP... don't bother, except for the lulz.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Dude, you REALLY need to play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon!!! It's like an 80s/early 90s version of the future with T-Rex's that shoot fucking laser beams out of their eyes!!

Really anyone who liked Far Cry 3 is doing themselves a disservice if they haven't played Blood Dragon.
I played it the day it released, was my most anticipated game that year, loved it! Just wished it was a full retail release game, was way too short.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Sega's The Lost World Arcade is one of the best. The deluxe cabs are still out on location making money as I type this. Even though the game's getting up there in age people keep pumping money into it. I sadly never played any of the Genesis games but I played the two on the Super Nintendo. With "Chaos Continues" you pretty much need a turbo controller because they have tazers you have to use to take down non raptor and T-Rex's and they take a billion hits before they go down.

And just in time for Jurassic World, Raw Thrills has a new Jurassic Park Arcade game coming out this summer. It looks like they took what they learned from Terminator Salvation and Aliens and combined them. Sucks they still haven't put in the co-op shots that do extra damage on bosses during the QTE events.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's ok. There weren't any Turok games I enjoyed either.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I played the crap out of the Jurassic Park GG game back in the day. I don't think it was just because I had young, unrefined taste, I really think it was a good game! I remember the gameplay varied from stage to stage, I thought that was unique.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Back in the day, I bought JP for my Panasonic 3DO. The intro was awesome for the time (mid '90s) and it was I think the only game of the franchise to offer 1st person perspective. I gotta see if I still have that game somewhere....

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Same thing that happened to most licensed titles... The script to theater times are relatively the same yet game Dev time and costs have exploded.

If they could do a good Jurassic Park game now I bet if it would be a multiplayer based game, basically you and a team either trying to survive or capture dinosaurs. And you can sell dinosaur packs, like you start with T-Rexs and Stegosaurus and Pterodactyl. Then you can buy other species to hunt that will have their own behaviors. Cuz that's the business model now.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I need to give Trespasser a go, it looks badass. Never knew it existed either, must have got buried under Half-Life.