What is your favorite form of art?

Robert

20 Year Member
The more it goes and the more I am into painting. Egypt is quite poor when it comes to art museum (I don't speak about historical museum) so I haven't been to an exposition for a while.
I'm not into a period or a movement in particular but I admit that I have some attractions for the modern painting and the sacred one (quite strange since they are so different).

So if you like a form of art (it can be any kind), please share it.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
The Rosarch Ink Blots... the one's that are supposed to tell some self righteous piece of shit with a title he doesn't need what a person ultimately is or might be based off the responses he gets from random ink blots. If you tell them they're ink blots they get mad. If you tell them what the want to hear, you score too perfect and you're obviously a liar. If you get creative, then your emotionally distrurbed. If you're a complete nut about it, then you're a liar because your response would've been pre-meditated to "Fucking with them."

...thus I like Rosarch Ink Blots. Not because it's art, but because a person can make an art form out of fucking with the minds of supposed experts on your own life, but you can get them more pissed off in the process. Fucking over educated fuck offs ALMOST everyone of them.

GK

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Music.

It's in my soul, kind of.

For me, it's the perfect form of art because it represents the right-here-right-now, your mind may wander but your soul is right here, and when the sound flows through your body and lets your nerves and fibers vibrate in your own groove and harmony, you know that you are truly alive.

I also love the works of some painters and graphic artists (specially lithography), but there's too much "stuff" involved in the process of creating a picture,. and once it's finished, it immediately starts to decay and requires constant care, unlike music which is timeless and non-physical.

Another form of art I hold in high regard is literature.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Comics. In my opinion, possibly the most underdeveloped, untapped potential artform in existence.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
The Rosarch Ink Blots... the one's that are supposed to tell some self righteous piece of shit with a title he doesn't need what a person ultimately is or might be based off the responses he gets from random ink blots. If you tell them they're ink blots they get mad. If you tell them what the want to hear, you score too perfect and you're obviously a liar. If you get creative, then your emotionally distrurbed. If you're a complete nut about it, then you're a liar because your response would've been pre-meditated to "Fucking with them."

...thus I like Rosarch Ink Blots. Not because it's art, but because a person can make an art form out of fucking with the minds of supposed experts on your own life, but you can get them more pissed off in the process. Fucking over educated fuck offs ALMOST everyone of them.

GK

They dont really work that way.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
hate to say it but art nueavo, since it seems superficial.
:)
but honestly i like a broad range of things.
particularly impressionist paintings.
like bw photography.
abstract stuff generally makes me happy too.

Robert

20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Comics. In my opinion, possibly the most underdeveloped, untapped potential artform in existence.

Thanks for pointing out this. I really love the artworks of the US comics 75-85 period. I read spider-man comics since I'm a kid but I started to purchase some issues of this period, regarless of the serie, for the artwork of their cover.

I would like to put some comics on the wall of my next appartment, just like some paintings.

Concerning the takumaji's comment on the conservation of the art, consider this as an example, We have tons of artworks from the oldest civilizations but we are unable to tell what kind of music they listened or what kind of songs they sang. The non-physical issue can be a problem on the very long term.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I like most forms of contempory scuplture and art. Heres some pics I took on Sunday.... I was at Tate Modern in London.

I am a member of Tate so I get to go and see all the exhibitions for free. Frida Kahlos' exhibition was great!!

17102005011.jpg

Spiderman in chalk (outside Tate Modern) Really cool perspective.

17102005003.jpg

Large Installation of sugar cubes by Jenny Booth

17102005007.jpg

In amongst the Cubes. Actually they are all made of hollow plastic.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Animation, traditional 2D in particular.

Hopefully I'll be up to the task someday.

*Damn you figure drawing, damn you*

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Robert said:
Concerning the takumaji's comment on the conservation of the art, consider this as an example, We have tons of artworks from the oldest civilizations but we are unable to tell what kind of music they listened or what kind of songs they sang. The non-physical issue can be a problem on the very long term.

True, but that's more a question of the available means of preservation than an inherent problem of ancient music. The only way an ancient musician could preserve one of his songs was to repeat it over and over again until a) it became imprinted into the minds of his audience or b), the musician found a scholar willing to carry on the tradition, and consequently add his own interpretations.

This is where I'm getting at - I'm convinced that humans have developed a complex musical sub-consciousness over the past millenia which contains many bits and pieces even of pre-civilization music, and those called artists are the ones who are able to tap into this flow and fuel their inspiration with it. Most parts of this process are hidden deep beneath our pre-human instincts and rarely affect our consciousness, what's why we rather call it inspiration, read, the act of reflecting external influences than a spark of ideas that in reality rests within ourselves.

It's because of this why some unborn babies react to music that comes from outside when they're still in the womb of their mother, the "musical interface" already is in us right from the start while anything connected with visual perception has to be learned over a long period of time.

Now, this subhuman aural memory is non-physical, and it will be there until the end of time, maybe not in technical terms of a sculpture or painting with measureable size and a 100% reproduceable look but as a subtle pulse that echoes through the ages and can be heard by those who have learned to listen.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Philosophy.

+

Cinema, both animated and live-action.
Theathre and acting in general.

Robert

20 Year Member
Beh3moth, thanks for the pictures.

I googled "tate modern" and I browsed the website for a while. Very well made.
I would like to attend this event:

David King: Revolution
Friday 28 October 2005
18.30–19.15

4094fascismenemywom_ninavatolin.jpg

I have always liked the soviet/communism art, Sadly I never attended to a exposition on this theme.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I went to see the 'A Picture of Britain' exhibition at Tate Britain this summer, there were a lot of the old WWII propaganda posters. That kind of thing is always interesting as now we all know what really went on during the war.
I guess its the same in some respect to the Communist art from those years, very stylised and dynamic.

I was thinking of taking some pics each week, and maybe posting a running thread with pics of interest (will kill any 56k'ers! LOL) what do you reckon?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm torn between music and video games.

Music carries the highs and lows of emotion. I'm a mellow guy, so I listen to mostly ambient, downtempo and trip hop. When I work out, I listen to hip hop; not for the lyrics or the message, but it's the smooth beats that get my heart pumpin' and blood flowin'. Metal for when I'm upset, Top 40 when I'm upbeat and everything else in between.

Music is the greatest form of art.

Video games, personal bias. How many of you put to controller down to enjoy a background, or find yourself watching almost more than actually playing games? Sometimes, I do.

Video games are art in motion.

Movies are a distant third, so much more crap than quality these days...

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Magician said:
I'm torn between music and video games.

Music carries the highs and lows of emotion. I'm a mellow guy, so I listen to mostly ambient, downtempo and trip hop. When I work out, I listen to hip hop; not for the lyrics or the message, but it's the smooth beats that get my heart pumpin' and blood flowin'. Metal for when I'm upset, Top 40 when I'm upbeat and everything else in between.

Music is the greatest form of art.

Video games, personal bias. How many of you put to controller down to enjoy a background, or find yourself watching almost more than actually playing games? Sometimes, I do.

Video games are art in motion.

Movies are a distant third, so much more crap than quality these days...

I indeed count some Video Games as an artform, remember there is a lot of creative input by animators and designers, one game which I would note as being a true masterpiece, is Vampire Saviour! Just look at the animation and the amount of win poses and effects for each character. Astounding!

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
I like most forms of contempory scuplture and art. Heres some pics I took on Sunday.... I was at Tate Modern in London.
i really do like the first one. i've seen quite a few of such drawings and i've always been impressed.

the second one however is as stupid as it gets. i mean ... the idea itself and walking through it might be interesting but as a whole it's a serious waste. what will they do with all that plastic, when the exhibition is over and they need the space for some new art? put it on a local landfill? burn it?

Robert

20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
I was thinking of taking some pics each week, and maybe posting a running thread with pics of interest (will kill any 56k'ers! LOL) what do you reckon?

If you make a 56K friendly (link only) thread, I would be more than delighted to see it. (as you certainly understood it, I'm on 56K)

Now the comment of Supergoose79 is quite surprising (even if I get his point on the recycling issue). If artists thought like this we would have never got the Eiffel Tower (made originally for the 1900 paris universal exposition and planned to be destroyed after).

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
it's just that you really can't do much with 1000s of white, hollow plastic cubes. i mean ... even ikea would have a hard time selling these as furniture ... or something ...

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
supergoose79 said:
it's just that you really can't do much with 1000s of white, hollow plastic cubes. i mean ... even ikea would have a hard time selling these as furniture ... or something ...

There was some discussion about this when i was in the gallery last weekend, apparently they are re-cycled plastic and will be recycled again after they have been dismantled.

Remember, art for me, is something that you will remember long after visiting a display. You might hate it, but you will still remember it. Thats why I like contempory art, classical art is great, but it often only sticks in your mind for a short while without actually seeing it. I will always remember being surrounded by white plastic blocks. Therefore this art works (for me:) ).