What to do in Munich, Germany?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I work for a huge German company, and I just landed an awesome gig that now has me working directly for a team based in our global office in Munich beginning in December.

While I don't plan on moving to Germany (yet...), I'll be doing a fair amount of travel through next year. Any German natives or travel gurus that can recommend nifty gaming related stuff to check out or other sights of interest I shouldn't miss around the southern part of the country? Tips and tricks for getting around (I know some German) I should be aware of?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I hear Commodore computers were mega popular in Germany, if you wanted to check out some C64, Plus/4 and Amiga stuff in its most popular regional format without having to fuck around with bullshit power and PAL converters.

Maybe also check out some historic concentration camps and gas chambers too. I mean, since you're there anyway...

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
IMG_3337.jpeg

Please visit Mongkok and tell me what it’s like.

I stopped over in Munich on my way from Scotland to Bangkok last year. It’s nice, clean, very German. I got confused over how to cross the wide busy city roads until I worked out there is a city ‘under’ the city for the subway system which you use to cross the major roads.

I believe Munich Oktoberfest and the Christmas Market are the real deal. Sadly, I didn’t have the opportunity to see either of them.

Even if Munich sucks (which it probably does not, it’s maybe at worst a little bit bland), it’s very well connected by rail and plane to the rest of Germany and indeed Europe.

Gaming wise - gamescom once a year in Cologne is pretty fun if you don’t mind the crowds of sweaty nerds and cosplayers.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
how do you measure germanness? amount of hitler portraits around? memorial plaques to the beer hall putsch? need to fill out sixteen different forms to be able to take a piss?

These are good suggestions, but I fallback to the traditional g=mx+b formula

m = # of Mercedes Benzs on a road
x = xenophobia
b = bratwurst’s in a 1/4 mile

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
always have a good laugh when tourists think bavaria is the gold standard representative of germany and german culture

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Don't worry, all of us here know the gold standard of german culture is really Toblerone.
see, with posts like these I'm often not sure if you're serious or just plain fucking stupid, please advise.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Don't get too drunk at the Hofbräuhaus. You have to steal a beer mug. It's a tradition to steal it as a souvenir.

Deutsches Museum, Hofbräuhaus, Viktualienmarkt, Englischer Garten you probably wouldn't expect a Japanese teahouse there.

Tourists come for our castles and palaces so you should visit them too. Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich.
Schloss Neuschwanstein the one in the Disney logo is only a 2 hour drive away.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I was in Munich for no more than an hour before I saw a BMW Z1, one of the highlights of my trip.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Hofbräuhaus house was fun, and there is a great military airplane museum. I forget the name, but it is pretty damn cool.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If you have to explain the joke, I guess it wasn't funny.

I thought your joke was more meta than it really was. I knew Toblerone was moving out of Switzerland to save costs. Turns out it’s now made in Slovakia.