What to do with my Ipad [+ iPad2 specs]

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
I just got a new Ipad from my Mom as a gift, and I'm not sure I'm very thrilled with it. She was really pumped about giving it to me, and she ordered with my name engraved and everything. I don't really want to sell because I don't want to upset her, but I also don't want to have it sitting around wasting space. I find myself using my 3 year old netbook more than the Ipad, and considering the Ipad is more than a brand new netbook it seems kind of useless. If some of you with experience using one could help me with workarounds to my issues and prevent me from ditching this thing I would appreciate it.

Issues

No flash videos. A big problem because I watch tons of MMA fight videos that don't play on ipad, including season of Ultimate Fighter that don't play right off Spike's own website.

Facebook chat. I hate facebook but use facebook chat all the time, and of course that one function doesn't work with Safari.

Games. I've had a suprisingly hard time finding cool games for it, despite the fact that the app store is the most hyped part of the whole thing. I've heard Sim City, the one game I would keep an Ipad for, crashes all the time. The cave shooters are ok, but not having buttons is bothers me a lot more than I thought.

Auto Correct. Maybe I'm lazy and not looking where to turn it off, but it drives me nuts. Type in anything that seems a little strange in google, and Ipad decides what I really wanted to search for.

Any advice on getting around any of this would be appreciated.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
No flash videos. A big problem because I watch tons of MMA fight videos that don't play on ipad, including season of Ultimate Fighter that don't play right off Spike's own website.

Facebook chat. I hate facebook but use facebook chat all the time, and of course that one function doesn't work with Safari.

Download and re-encode the videos if you want them that badly. Unfortunately Spike doesn't seem to have a streaming video app at the moment.

Facebook chat: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/friendly-facebook-for-ipad/id400169658?mt=8

aria

Former Moderator
Must've been one of the last ones because they've stopped making the iPad now that the iPad 2 is being announced tomorrow (march 2) --I know because I'm hoping to get one for my dad (since he's never gotten around to learning to use a computer, but is smart enough to figure out something like that if I show him).

I've never looked for a way to turn off auto-correct on my iPhone (my old Blackberry was much more obnoxious so I did learn for it), but I know I've gotten pretty quick at hitting the little X whenever the suggestion appears. I'm sure there's a way.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Must've been one of the last ones because they've stopped making the iPad now that the iPad 2 is being announced tomorrow (march 2) --I know because I'm hoping to get one for my dad (since he's never gotten around to learning to use a computer, but is smart enough to figure out something like that if I show him).

I've never looked for a way to turn off auto-correct on my iPhone (my old Blackberry was much more obnoxious so I did learn for it), but I know I've gotten pretty quick at hitting the little X whenever the suggestion appears. I'm sure there's a way.

To turn auto correct off:

1. Navigate to Settings -> General -> Keyboard

2. Touch Auto-Correction -> OFF

There, that took 3 seconds.

aria

Former Moderator
To turn auto correct off:

1. Navigate to Settings -> General -> Keyboard

2. Touch Auto-Correction -> OFF

There, that took 3 seconds.

Not surprised.

Autocorrect helps me far too frequently for me to turn it off.

On the Blackberry it would make bizarre decisions like changing a real word into a three word phrase because it thought that's what I meant --now that was annoying.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah. AutoCorrect pissed me off for the first week, then i turned it off and my typing was unreadable and slow. I turned it back on and found i could type twice as fast and sloppy as hell.

Your best bet is to just enjoy popular iPhone games on a larger screen. The problem is finding the hidden gems.

Use VLC for movies and avoid the whole itunes deal.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

Hoping to get an older one? Is the price going to plummet for a day or two? I'd pick one up if that's the case. I just want one for couch surfing, sketching ideas/layouts, and maybe some gaming. My touch is just too small to do that stuff comfortably. But I can bare it if it means dropping $400+ on an iPad. I'd easily pay $200 for one.

aria

Former Moderator
Hoping to get an older one? Is the price going to plummet for a day or two? I'd pick one up if that's the case. I just want one for couch surfing, sketching ideas/layouts, and maybe some gaming. My touch is just too small to do that stuff comfortably. But I can bare it if it means dropping $400+ on an iPad. I'd easily pay $200 for one.

Naw, I'm planning to buy him a 2. I knew it was coming soon so I started paying attention in January. I see so many older men and women with them --they've become as big a hit with that crowd as the Kindle (especially newspaper readers, from what I've seen).

They've also been used as menus at several restaurants I've been to recently --it makes sense for those that print out daily menus.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'd love to use an iPad with MidiPad as a sequencer for my live gigs (electronic music).

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --

You can try the "Skyfire" webbrowser. They have a sort of on-the-fly video-converter that works with some flash videos. (It doesn't seem to work with embedded Blip though).

http://www.skyfire.com/product/ipad

(Only tried the freebie android version for my cheapo-tablet, no real joy for the sites I used.)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
From what I had heard a few months ago, the iPad2 wasn't going to be much more than a refresh of the iPad. Of course, things might have changed. I thought one of the major reasons for the refresh was just to add a GOBI2000 card (or the equivalent) so it could work on both CDMA and GSM carriers. It wasn't getting a Retina display or anything too exciting this year. Seems like the real killer iPad is still a revision away. Still, having the Gobi card would be a nice update for those who want to get off of AT&T's network, as that card could support every single carrier in the US if properly unlocked.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
This is all it is to me in order of use from highest to lowest:

• Fancy universal remote
  • plays a few Cave games
  • quick email checks

For couch web browsing I just use my tvs.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I recently came into an iPad as well, having the same issues figuring out just what the hell to do with it. Having craigslist with pictures built into the browsing experience is the only thing I'm even partly excited about, no more clicking on every arcade or pinball machine with picture, just browse and look. That and Brushes because it's fun.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
play solitaire on it while you watch tv.
Or trade it in for an apad and engrave your name in that.
They all look the same anyways.
Your mom will never know.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
The iPad replaced my laptop. Every post I've made in the past 3 months has been from this.

I think it's amazing.

You don't get an iPad to view Craigslist.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The iPad replaced my laptop. Every post I've made in the past 3 months has been from this.

I think it's amazing.

You don't get an iPad to view Craigslist.

Didn't you just come back like a week ago? Or... was that meant to be sarcastic?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Didn't you just come back like a week ago? Or... was that meant to be sarcastic?

I post on other forums... Should have been specific.

I love my iPad.

When I first got it, I thought it was gonna be useless.

It's a great device and handles all the tasks I need it to do.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Jubeat Plus off the JP Itunes store.

Or if you're jailbroken and want it, hit me up.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
I wasn't too impressed with the iPad, mainly from the price and the lack of things like video playback was choppy, should of had a Dual Core Intel CPU and Full 1080p video playback and HDMI port.

Just purchased the joojoo, loving it so far. You can upgrade the internal SSD drive and install 4GB ram and run either windows, OSX, Android, Linux and all that shit. Does full HD video and much more as less than half the price of the iPad, UK retail price anyway.

They kind of look similar, perhaps trade or sell the iPad and stick an Apple logo on the back of the joojoo and engrave your name, she'll never tell the difference :lolz:

Don't forget the new iPad2 gets anouncned today, maybe the missing things will be included, but if it seems better to you, perhaps trade for the new model or something, but knowing Apple they'll drag things out so you purchase the next model.

aria

Former Moderator
Japanese tech blog purportedly got an image of the new iPad early, could be BS.

It's officially announced at 1 p.m. Eastern time.

Apple has taken down the store. Blah blah blah blah. Borniqua, etc.

bits-ipad2q-blog480.jpg

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Japanese tech blog purportedly got an image of the new iPad early, could be BS.

It feels like BS to me because Apple never puts the version number in the name of the device. The iPhone 4 just says "iPhone" on the back, for example.

aria

Former Moderator
It feels like BS to me because Apple never puts the version number in the name of the device. The iPhone 4 just says "iPhone" on the back, for example.

I know what you mean.

The best explanation I've heard for this and several other mock-ups that look the same is that these are actually shells that were sent to the various case-makers to help them design the new cases to be available at launch. In that regard, it would make sense why we're only seeing the case and not anything about what's going on inside.

In that regard, I'm willing to buy in a bit.

aria

Former Moderator
New iPad 2 comes out March 11. Steve Jobs was there.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

This isn't everything (I'm not enough of a Mac person to know how interesting some of the stuff they were talking about was), but here are the specs that I noticed:

Thinner (13.4mm to 8.8mm, so less than iPhone 4), lighter from 1.5 lbs down to 1.3 lb, same battery life, has gyroscope, 2 camera (front/back), comes in white or black. Supposedly faster, Jobs is quoted saying "It's dual-core, so we get twice as fast performance on the cpu and nine times better graphics performance." Display is 1024x768, 9.7". Rear camera is 720P, front camera is "VGA-quality" for video and still.

Includes Facetime, PhotoBooth. Safari will supposedly run faster. Airplay lets you share photos and video on your tv using AppleTV more easily.

It's going to be the same price as before.

Available with data plans from AT&T and Verizon. Available in 16, 32, and 64 GB versions, WiFi and WiFi+3G models. It ships beginning on March 11 in the United States, and March 25 to 26 to more countries.

One new accessory is HDMI video out, 1080p for $39. It allows you to charge at same time.

Apple claims to have come up with the "smart cover" to allow easier access for its accessories. It's a bendable panel that covers the screen. You fold it to prop the iPad up. We'll see how that works out. The CNET guys were impressed: it apparently uses magnets to grasp it, and wakes up the iPad from sleep when you open it, and puts it to sleep when you close it --it takes just a second to add/remove. $39 for polyurethane or $69 for leather. The video is on the iPad's new site, while it looks neat I think my dad will prefer the stronger covers by 3rd parties.

Now has an iMovie app ($4.99) which was described as somewhere between what's on Mac and what's on the iPhone. It will allow audio edits and has sharing options go out to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, CNN iReport. Also has GarageBand.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
New iPad 2 comes out March 11. Steve Jobs was there.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

This isn't everything (I'm not enough of a Mac person to know how interesting some of the stuff they were talking about was), but here are the specs that I noticed:

Thinner (13.4mm to 8.8mm, so less than iPhone 4), lighter from 1.5 lbs down to 1.3 lb, same battery life, has gyroscope, 2 camera (front/back), comes in white or black. Supposedly faster, Jobs is quoted saying "It's dual-core, so we get twice as fast performance on the cpu and nine times better graphics performance." Display is 1024x768, 9.7". Rear camera is 720P, front camera is "VGA-quality" for video and still.

Includes Facetime, PhotoBooth. Safari will supposedly run faster.

It's going to be the same price as before.

Available with data plans from AT&T and Verizon. Available in 16, 32, and 64 GB versions, WiFi and WiFi+3G models. It ships beginning on March 11 in the United States, and March 25 to 26 to more countries.

One new accessory is HDMI video out, 1080p for $39. It allows you to charge at same time.

Apple claims to have come up with the "smart cover" to allow easier access for its accessories. It's a bendable panel that covers the screen. You fold it to prop the iPad up. We'll see how that works out. The CNET guys were impressed: it apparently uses magnets to grasp it, and wakes up the iPad from sleep when you open it, and puts it to sleep when you close it --it takes just a second to add/remove. $39 for polyurethane or $69 for leather. The video is on the iPad's new site, while it looks neat I think my dad will prefer the stronger covers by 3rd parties.

Now has an iMovie app ($4.99) which was described as somewhere between what's on Mac and what's on the iPhone. It will allow audio edits and has sharing options go out to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, CNN iReport. Also has GarageBand.

Been holding off to get one of these, this looks pretty sweet to get...HDMI w/ netflix sounds awesome...