What was the first Candy Cab?

mungrin

Panko KING,
I am curious as what was the first Candy Cab made and who on here owns the oldest Candy Cab.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
I'm pretty certain SEGA laid the blueprints for candy cab design, and since the Aero City was their first cab it stands to reason that it was probably the first candy cab. I'm not certain though.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I'm pretty certain SEGA laid the blueprints for candy cab design, and since the Aero City was their first cab it stands to reason that it was probably the first candy cab. I'm not certain though.

The SEGA "City" (1986) predates the "Aero City" (1988).

aria

Former Moderator
The first Candy Cab can actually be traced back to early pioneer Augustus P. Kandleford. A former Colonel in the Union Army, Shackleford found himself journeying to the Orient in order explore trade routes with the people of Corea and Niphon. As luck would have it, Kandleford had made contact with the Meiji Emperor's Ambassador, Iwakura Tomomi, during his tour of the United States, and from that contact was able to meet with a young Fusajiro Yamauchi. Yamauchi would, of course, go one to start a card company called Nintendo, but at the time they were discussing ways to contain the playing field into a convenient location that would be both solid and move-able. Most playing fields of the day were made of heavy wood and were hard to move and use. Kandleford, familiar with the precious metal aluminum (a natural element which at the time was more valued that gold in some circles) and proposed that such a playing field could be manufactured with that material --if the price of the metal ever came down. Yamauchi was intrigued and passed along the idea to his descendants, many of whom ran Nintendo until recently, as the "Kandle's Project" --and when some corporate espionage took place in the 1980s, that idea came to Sega under the Candy Cab project. Thus was the story of the Candy Cab.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The first Candy Cab can actually be traced back to early pioneer Augustus P. Kandleford. A former Colonel in the Union Army, Shackleford found himself journeying to the Orient in order explore trade routes with the people of Corea and Niphon. As luck would have it, Kandleford had made contact with the Meiji Emperor's Ambassador, Iwakura Tomomi, during his tour of the United States, and from that contact was able to meet with a young Fusajiro Yamauchi. Yamauchi would, of course, go one to start a card company called Nintendo, but at the time they were discussing ways to contain the playing field into a convenient location that would be both solid and move-able. Most playing fields of the day were made of heavy wood and were hard to move and use. Kandleford, familiar with the precious metal aluminum (a natural element which at the time was more valued that gold in some circles) and proposed that such a playing field could be manufactured with that material --if the price of the metal ever came down. Yamauchi was intrigued and passed along the idea to his descendants, many of whom ran Nintendo until recently, as the "Kandle's Project" --and when some corporate espionage took place in the 1980s, that idea came to Sega under the Candy Cab project. Thus was the story of the Candy Cab.

There is some debate as to whether Iwakura Tomomi soley came up with the concept of a movable playing field or not. Kaneko Kentarō was one of several students who also came as part of the Iwakura Mission, which was of course headed by Iwakura. Several sources state that Kaneko played a vital role, if not more so than Iwakura in laying out the basic design principles of the playing field. I know, some may say I am splitting hairs but it would be cool to know exactly how it played out.

aria

Former Moderator
There is some debate as to whether Iwakura Tomomi soley came up with the concept of a movable playing field or not. Kaneko Kentarō was one of several students who also came as part of the Iwakura Mission, which was of course headed by Iwakura. Several sources state that Kaneko played a vital role, if not more so than Iwakura in laying out the basic design principles of the playing field. I know, some may say I am splitting hairs but it would be cool to know exactly how it played out.

PLANE TICKET! :very_ang:

We must journey to the archives in Japan to sort this out.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
SNK Candy of course. Nobody else names there machines Candy. Maybe one of the SNK historians here can tell you which model was the first.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
SNK Candy of course. Nobody else names there machines Candy. Maybe one of the SNK historians here can tell you which model was the first.

The Candy 18 was first I believe, although I don't know the exact year it was released it did come with the LS-30 rotary sticks so somewhere around the same time as the Sega City (1986) would be my guess. Since the name candy cab stuck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Candy 18 came out before Sega's City.