Why does Microsoft gotta have three X-Box 2 systems?

Garland Russell

Dodgeball Yakuza
I mean, what's the deal here? Couldn't they just stick to the one that has a harddrive? Why three of them?

slerch666

updyke,
Because they want to own the world, starting with your living room.

I thought you were taking a vacation from the boards before returning as someone new? What a surprise, you lied again.

Garland Russell

Dodgeball Yakuza
I took a while back on my own to think about what I've done. Then I decided to come back here now. I'm sorry for acting such a fool last time.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think that maybe they're tired of losing their ass by selling a product for a price that's well below the manufacturing costs. But they're well aware of the fact that many people will be furious if the hard drive is cut out completely, and would be willing to pay a little extra for it. It's a way to cater to both sides.

On the other hand, this will probably cause confusion amongst the crowd that's just getting into gaming, but I like the option of being able to buy the model with the HD.

That being said, if M$ had any real brains they'd make one single Xbox 2 which is easily hard drive upgradeable. Anyway, this is all hypothetical, since I'm not even sure that they'll ultimately decide to go this route. They'll probably just settle on one model.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Garland Russell said:
I mean, what's the deal here? Couldn't they just stick to the one that has a harddrive? Why three of them?

WHAT HAPPENED TO 2-3 MONTHES?

BURN IN HELL NOOB!!!!!!111
:lol: :drool_2: :kekeke: :p

Underdog

Camel Slug
galfordo said:
That being said, if M$ had any real brains they'd make one single Xbox 2 which is easily hard drive upgradeable. Anyway, this is all hypothetical, since I'm not even sure that they'll ultimately decide to go this route. They'll probably just settle on one model.

Nah, they did it right the first time. They've stated themselves that if you want developers to really use something it has to be there out of the box, if I remember right.

That said, the hard drive was probably excessive. It was nice, but I can't say I think the system needed it.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
have i stepped in a time warp? it was confirmed about 2 weeks ago they'd only be one type of xbox 2 and that it will ship with a hard drive, that will use flash memory to reduce costs.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Underdog said:
Nah, they did it right the first time. They've stated themselves that if you want developers to really use something it has to be there out of the box, if I remember right.

Like dvd playing capability?? .... :spock:

Underdog said:
That said, the hard drive was probably excessive. It was nice, but I can't say I think the system needed it.

I agree.

Plisken said:
have i stepped in a time warp? it was confirmed about 2 weeks ago they'd only be one type of xbox 2 and that it will ship with a hard drive, that will use flash memory to reduce costs.

Sorry - I must've missed the memo. :help:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I thought that 3 system thing was shot down as a phony rumor a while ago.

And because of the av, it still takes me a couple seconds every time to register that it's Garland posting and not Galfordo. Not that they read anything alike.

super-saiya-jin

I wish I really were French
SouthtownKid said:
And because of the av, it still takes me a couple seconds every time to register that it's Garland posting and not Galfordo. Not that they read anything alike.
heh, me too

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Garland Russell said:
I mean, what's the deal here?

He sounds like an angry black version of Seinfeld. We should put Garland (Jerry), Makismo (George), Leslie (Kramer), and Butta (Elaine) in an apartment together and watch the hilarity ensue.

PS: FatGuy would make a good Newman.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Yeah, I thought that 3 system thing was shot down as a phony rumor a while ago.

Thats who I thought of when I saw that avatar

slerch666 said:
Because they want to own the world, starting with your living room.

I thought you were taking a vacation from the boards before returning as someone new? What a surprise, you lied again.

Heh and give it back to the poor after Bill Gates dies. Someone told me he's willed most of his fortune to charity in the event that he and Melinda dies. I guess his kids will only get $10 million, so as not to let them get too spoiled.

:spock: "Humans make illogical decisions."
:spock:'s mother: "They do indeed."

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Plisken said:

If they do replace it with flash memory there will be MUCH less space on the "HD" (if it is flash memory it isn't really a HD ;) ). I don't keep up with flash memory much, but last I remember seeing the largest stick of flash memory that is commercially available now is a 2 GB stick and it is crazy expensive.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--407,keyword--2 gb flash memory.html

Flash memory may be cheaper if you are comparing a 256 MB stick to a 80 GB drive, but if you are talking large storage amounts a hard drive is much more cost effective... putting flash memory in the xbox 2 will probably be about equal to having an internal memory card for saved games.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'm sure MS is fully aware that tons of their XBox's were modded. They're not gonna want to put another large HD in another console knowing that'll be the main use of it.

Robert

20 Year Member
And what about an Xbox with a cartdrige system? Something to play good old school 2D. I'll buy that.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Electroman said:
Heh and give it back to the poor after Bill Gates dies. Someone told me he's willed most of his fortune to charity in the event that he and Melinda dies. I guess his kids will only get $10 million, so as not to let them get too spoiled.

10 mil is cool and all, but I'd still be one pissed off kid if my dad left all his cash to charity. After all, dealing with all the crap that comes with being Gates' son is no picnic. I'd demand at least a billion. :kekeke:

Robert said:
And what about an Xbox with a cartdrige system? Something to play good old school 2D. I'll buy that.

:spock:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I'm sure MS is fully aware that tons of their XBox's were modded. They're not gonna want to put another large HD in another console knowing that'll be the main use of it.
Even if they also know that it sells a shitload of systems?

I see them more as the Tobacco industry aiming advertising at kids. On the surface they say modding the box is bad, they would never condone such illegal activity as the using of teh romzz. But underneath, I sense them loving the idea of kids buying a second box to use for Live. I mean, isn't it true that if they bust you with a modded box, they only ban that specific box, not your Live account?

I can't count the number of people I know who never would have bought an Xbox if it weren't for the various benefits of modding. Shit, I planned to mod mine when I got it, and I probably would have if I weren't so lazy (and could afford a second one to keep playing SFAC on live). I'm sure MS knows how many more systems they've moved due to people wanting to mod them. On the other hand, I think they are feeling some outside pressure from developers, etc., to try to make it not possible to mod. It will be interesting to see what stance they end up taking for xbox2.