Why is the Samurai Shodown Anthology for PS2 so expensive?

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
On Amazon and eBay, it goes like this:

Wii version? $15-$20
PSP version? $15-$20
But the PS2 version? $30-$50

What is it about the PS2 version that makes it command higher prices? Is it rarer?

What irritates me is that the PS2 version is the one I want. I don't have a Wii. I have a PSP, but I would consider that more a complimentary purpose and not the main way I want to play the games.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
NOT THAT THIS IS...
particularly relevant to you Edmond, however, here in the UK, the PAL version wasn't even released here! Just in all other Euro continent instead - and in limited numbers, thus tracking down a copy was a complete nightmare. The worst part is, that the whole packaging was localised in English too.

Perhaps the US version for PS2 IS equally as rare?

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
It is mainly because Samurai Showdown VI was on the Atomiswave hardware in the arcades. The Playstation 2 is the closest thing to an Atomiswave console wise. So The Playstation 2 version is the best port.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They probably really didn't print that many PS2 copies since it was for a previous gen console. The game was released in 2009 after all. I remember buying it for $15 new.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I bought all the late ps2 snk comps on amazon for dirt cheap, all new. Glad I didn't hesitate

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I have been planning to buy it for several months too, but I kept delaying that mainly because I wasn't happy with the Metal Slug and FF collections I previously got .... I would mainly get it for SS Tenka.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
It is mainly because Samurai Showdown VI was on the Atomiswave hardware in the arcades. The Playstation 2 is the closest thing to an Atomiswave console wise. So The Playstation 2 version is the best port.

...I would mainly get it for SS Tenka.

I'VE READ SOMEWHERE...
that the standalone SSVI/Tenka for PS2 is apparently better than the Anthology version, although, I'm not entirely sure what actually qualifies that - technically speaking.

All I know is that it was nice to finally get an English version of SSVI so I could finally understand all those super-heavy Japanese menus!

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
i never realized this got a US release. Shit, time to hunt it down

[nothing]

n00b
Unless you're trying to find a Euro Wii version, then it seems the prices are around £40-£70..

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
The US PS2 version had a low print run, the only places in the US that had it for sale was Amazon.com and NCSX.com. No retail stores carried the PS2 version unlike the PSP and Wii versions.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
this surprises me as the bargain bin at walmarts all over my area were full of them and KOF98UM among a few others for years.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Yeah I could swear I saw this in stores too.

And, k'_127, I've heard Metal Slug was problematic but what were you unhappy with in the Fatal Fury collections?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

Umm.. the Dreamcast is the closest thing to an Atomiswave .

;)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
And, k'_127, I've heard Metal Slug was problematic but what were you unhappy with in the Fatal Fury collections?

The sound seemed off on my surround system while playing FFS. I'm gonna try it again with the normal TV speakers. The emulation also felt cheap in general. I decided to drop buying these compilations after trying MS1 on PSN. The menus were neat and there was no input lag. I've been waiting for SS2 and FFS for ages though.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Thanks for letting me know. I went ahead and snagged it.

Also, some of the other sellers have it for comparable prices. One has it for $15.60 with a Free Shipping offer, another has it for roughly $22 shipped. If anyone wants it, I'd grab it while its hot!

Last edited:

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The US PS2 version released at lower MSRP ($14.99) than PSP/Wii ($29.99), yet obvious worse distribution. Those prices should be right at least.

Didn't Gamestop never officially carry new PS2 copies online or in store? I recall it not being listed on their website for ages. No GS might've hurt sales...

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't wait before ordering.

Got the game in yesterday and... I'm honestly sad I never owned a Neo-Geo as a kid, because this thing is GOOD. Sad that SamSho V is missing all the story elements, but oh well.