Why the long delay between television seasons released on DVD?

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Just wondering why it takes so long for companies to put out seasons of television shows on DVD. I recently discovered the amazingness of Third Watch thanks to DVDs and watched the entire thing in the span of a week. Now I'm gonna be sitting around waiting for July 9th for season 2 to be released.

Which, I guess isn't so bad, but according to wikipedia, season 1 came out in February of 08, so now after I watch season 2 in a week, I'm gonna have to wait an entire fucking year for season 3? So to watch the whole series I'll have to wait until 2013? Why do we get teased like this?

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
I know 24 Season 7 was released on DVD/Blu-ray a day after the last episode aired. Too bad House wasn't released this way.:crying:

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I know 24 Season 7 was released on DVD/Blu-ray a day after the last episode aired. Too bad House wasn't released this way.:crying:

Yeah wikipedia says House was released 1 season per year over 5 years up to now, which is so bullshit.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Torrents are your friend. Seasons 1-6 of Third Watch are readily available via torrents.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Torrents are your friend. Seasons 1-6 of Third Watch are readily available via torrents.

But hows the quality? I found a torrent for season 2 but the comments were saying that a few episodes didnt even work, some had endings cut off, and some had 300 pixel resolutions. I don't want that.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
But hows the quality? I found a torrent for season 2 but the comments were saying that a few episodes didnt even work, some had endings cut off, and some had 300 pixel resolutions. I don't want that.

Go for the HDTV rips, they're perfect quality.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

Season 2 looks like the worst of the bunch. It's only ~5GB. The other seasons are 8+, so those should be fine. Queue those up, buy Season 2 on DVD, then you should be set.

I don't watch that show, but every other show I watch is via torrents. EZTV is where I get new stuff. Some older stuff can be hard to find in good quality though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is pretty simple....

Before 2003ish, there wasn't a push to put most running shows on DVD. Studios didn't want home releases stepping on shows that were in production. They want you to watch their channels where they can boost ratings, not on your VCR/DVD. Home video releases were an afterthought. A way to squeeze the last few dimes out of a product.

Chappelle show changed all that by making bank and studios started making the DVD push.

But shows with several seasons under their belt couldn't just start out with the most recent season. They would have to start with the first season.... Releasing multiple seasons at once is dumb because they will cannibalize each other. So most series can only release one season every year, or 6 months.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Yeah wikipedia says House was released 1 season per year over 5 years up to now, which is so bullshit.

I've been dodging plot points about season 5 for awhile now.
I'd like the dvds to be out like yesterday.

I figure it has something to do with drumming up tv viewing
like norton said though.
gotta please the sponsors.

guess it's probably different for every studio,
but some commentaries I see are done before the actors even have
seen the show.
So I'm sure most of them are milking the dollar and postponing till
holiday sales.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It is pretty simple....

Before 2003ish, there wasn't a push to put most running shows on DVD. Studios didn't want home releases stepping on shows that were in production. They want you to watch their channels where they can boost ratings, not on your VCR/DVD. Home video releases were an afterthought. A way to squeeze the last few dimes out of a product.

Chappelle show changed all that by making bank and studios started making the DVD push.

But shows with several seasons under their belt couldn't just start out with the most recent season. They would have to start with the first season.... Releasing multiple seasons at once is dumb because they will cannibalize each other. So most series can only release one season every year, or 6 months.
So true. Another reason factoring in is sales. If sales are good for a season, the next one will come sooner than one that is slower in sales.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Everyone stop their bitching. I'm still waiting for the release of the 13 episode... I repeat 13 EPISODES! 1996 Dick Wolf cop show "Swift Justice" to be put on DVD, and here we are in 2009, and no one seems to know about this show that was clearly too ahead of it's time for both it's content and transitions as today it's common place but in mid '96 it was just too soon.

Same could be said for the short lived 1989/1990 TV Series of Nasty Boys

So at least some of these shows ya'll want are on DVD. I've got to rely on most of the stuff recorded on shitty LP mode on VHS and one day convert them to DVD-Rs.
:oh_no::mad:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I was pretty surprised homicide: life on the streets made it to dvd.
I liked the series, but I didn't think it was that popular.