Windows 10- old games (dual boot, virtual machine)- graphics cards

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here use a dual boot system (for example, Windows 7 & Windows 10)?
Or a virtual machine (running different OS's)?

Are there problems with using a newer graphics card (that doesn't support Windows XP or 7)?
Some older games don't play on Windows 10, even in compatibility mode.

BeefJerky

Actual Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

Are there problems with using a newer graphics card (that doesn't support Windows XP or 7)?

Joe, as often as you drop links to Wikipedia I don't know why you can't find this information on your own.

You dumb fucking ape.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you want to WinXP, then I'd recommend buying a dedicated system for that. Tons of miniPC options or grab a nice Dell laptop from that era.
Win 7 you can just build a drive dedicated to it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

You should buy a Mac like I did Joe.

No games, no problems.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There are even some newer games (from the 2000's) that don't run on Windows 10. So, it's not just 90s games.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

I dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Parrot. There can be some issues. If you use the same hard drive Windows will try to override the other installation by removing the dual boot option, cause Windows wants to be the only OS running. If you install Windows first, then another OS, it should be fine. At least if the second install is Linux. Not sure how Windows handles another Windows install on the same hard drive. Regardless, it is possible depending on the two Windows OS you want to install.

However, if you install Windows on one drive, then disconnect that drive. Then install Windows on a second drive, then connect them both back up with the SATA, you would be good.

Now, that's in theory, cause there are MANY more things to consider besides a GPU and how many hare drives you need.

It sounds like you want to Dual Boot modern Windows & XP?

1. Windows XP has 2 versions. 32-bit and 64-bit. XP-64 is trash if you intend to use this for XP gaming. And 32-bit, is well 32-bit. I can't imagine things would go smoothly, but you never know. Depends on the motherboard, and if it has an XP compatible chipset.

2. RAM: I think XP-32 with Service Pack 3 has a 4GB RAM limit. I think you can install more, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

3. CPU - It is desirable to run XP on a single core. You could disable any extra cores in Windows though.

4. Soundcard - XP is an era that still benefits greatly from a quality sound card, such as a SoundBlaster X-Fi. You really want EAX sound for those old XP games. There are custom drivers though for old X-Fi and Audigy 2 ZS cards on this guy called "Daniel K" website.

Now that I think about it, I think the GPU is the least of your worries.

If you are looking to build an old XP machine, I bought a bunch of Old PC stuff from a guy recently. I could sell you one super cheap, bit would be expensive to ship. You can build an XP system super cheap right now. For less than the cost of an old Windows 98 Voodoo GPU. It's a good time to build one of you want one.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm gonna install 10 windows into your head if you don't fuck off with this shit

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think there was some goobers complaining that Windows 11 was slower for gaming but it’s the same goobers that complained of bloat going from XP to 7, 7 to 10, and now 10 to 11.

Steam is going to require 11 for its client next year I read somewhere so that will force a mass goob upgrade.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
'directstorage' - might help pc users catch up

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Parrot. There can be some issues. If you use the same hard drive Windows will try to override the other installation by removing the dual boot option, cause Windows wants to be the only OS running. If you install Windows first, then another OS, it should be fine. At least if the second install is Linux. Not sure how Windows handles another Windows install on the same hard drive. Regardless, it is possible depending on the two Windows OS you want to install.

However, if you install Windows on one drive, then disconnect that drive. Then install Windows on a second drive, then connect them both back up with the SATA, you would be good.

Now, that's in theory, cause there are MANY more things to consider besides a GPU and how many hare drives you need.

It sounds like you want to Dual Boot modern Windows & XP?

1. Windows XP has 2 versions. 32-bit and 64-bit. XP-64 is trash if you intend to use this for XP gaming. And 32-bit, is well 32-bit. I can't imagine things would go smoothly, but you never know. Depends on the motherboard, and if it has an XP compatible chipset.

2. RAM: I think XP-32 with Service Pack 3 has a 4GB RAM limit. I think you can install more, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

3. CPU - It is desirable to run XP on a single core. You could disable any extra cores in Windows though.

4. Soundcard - XP is an era that still benefits greatly from a quality sound card, such as a SoundBlaster X-Fi. You really want EAX sound for those old XP games. There are custom drivers though for old X-Fi and Audigy 2 ZS cards on this guy called "Daniel K" website.

Now that I think about it, I think the GPU is the least of your worries.

If you are looking to build an old XP machine, I bought a bunch of Old PC stuff from a guy recently. I could sell you one super cheap, bit would be expensive to ship. You can build an XP system super cheap right now. For less than the cost of an old Windows 98 Voodoo GPU. It's a good time to build one of you want one.
imagine seriously replying to joeGPT

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Even worse, imagine possessing Greedostick's phone number and asking him if he's serious about aliens.

Jon
I am, and so is all of Congress, and all the invisible higher ups in the DOD, DOE, and Defense Contractors. They just blocked the Shumer Amendment 2 days ago, which would force them to disclose all their information to Congress on all their UAP reverse engineering projects. They blocked it cause there's absolutely nothing to hide... Regardless, the Pentagon failed like their like 60th tax audit. Over 2 trillion of your tax dollars going to shit no one agreed to pay for.

But back to Joe, I thought maybe Joe Awesome changed his name. You All know I'm not here much.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I am, and so is all of Congress, and all the invisible higher ups in the DOD, DOE, and Defense Contractors. They just blocked the Shumer Amendment 2 days ago, which would force them to disclose all their information to Congress on all their UAP reverse engineering projects. They blocked it cause there's absolutely nothing to hide... Regardless, the Pentagon failed like their like 60th tax audit. Over 2 trillion of your tax dollars going to shit no one agreed to pay for.

But back to Joe, I thought maybe Joe Awesome changed his name. You All know I'm not here much.
No, you've been replying to Joe8 this whole time, the Aussie equivalent of Karou.

I was going to reply to the other stuff but, I thought, nope, he's gone.

Jon

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People still running windows 10? I've been on the insider preview of 11 since launch
I still have programs that wont run on Win11. My new build this year I went straight for Win11, then had to reimage.
It's mostly due to increased security in Win11, which is a good thing, but it will have to wait.

Plus that goddamn popup summary was annoying. You mouse over it for a milisecond and boom...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I need it for latest wsl features. Insider preview has been rock solid for me

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Being an early adopter for Windows is always a fool's errand. 11 seems fine for the most part but there's a reason enterprise always waits til the last second to "upgrade": MS has shit the bed so many times it's barely worth recounting them.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Being an early adopter for Windows is always a fool's errand. 11 seems fine for the most part but there's a reason enterprise always waits til the last second to "upgrade": MS has shit the bed so many times it's barely worth recounting them.
I'm a Linux user. My operating system is always in beta. Plus I think I can cope with any issues tbh

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'm a Linux user. My operating system is always in beta. Plus I think I can cope with any issues tbh

Likewise (on Linux) but I run several machines that primarily boot to Windows... no interest in having to google and fix four or five machines when MS inevitably changes some heavily automated process that hasn't been touched since Win95 and breaks a dozen other things. I'll gladly stick with the stable platform and let the early adopters bitch and moan and pull their hair out until MS gets their shit together (or at least thoroughly documents all of the "known issues").

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't really own a computer so it's a work one, never had any real issues with cutting edge windows I can't get around though.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
No, you've been replying to Joe8 this whole time, the Aussie equivalent of Karou.

I was going to reply to the other stuff but, I thought, nope, he's gone.

Jon
If by gone, you mean away, keeping up with the World News regarding UAPs, covered on almost every major outlet, such as MSN, News Nation, Fox News, & Breaking Points? Then yes, I am gone.

Far, Far away, from Tater Land.