Wiring up the PSU in a supergun (arcade PSU)

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
Okay, so I bought an arcade PSU for my supergun, I know the 12v/5v/-5v/gnd go to the jamma harness etc, but what about FG/AC(L)/AC(N) I assume they deal with the power cable etc, but I'm kind of clueless here... Any help at all would rule.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you buy a 3 prong socket they are usually labeled.

From the solder side it's usually:

-----FG-----
N-----------L

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
My big concern was some places I saw filters and fuses and the like, do I need those, or can I just go from the socket to the psu with nothing in between?
Thanks again

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuck the fuses......
Just wire it up right....

Last edited:

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
You guys rule. I was splicing an old PC power cable for this project, luckily the female end was labeled! And on top of that, exactly as you said it would be, Xian. Did as you said Norton and it's good as gold. Now to just get the rest of this together. Gonna be ugly as sin, but at least it'll work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya usually you don't need fuses since the PSUs now days have them built in.

On mine I put a switch SPST between Line and the PSU.

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
Makes sense. Then there's a way to turn it on and off without unplugging it. On a second note, been going off of your Jamma-Nation-X supergun pic for the power. Do both A+1 12v need to be connected, etc? Hope that makes sense. I guess what I mean is both "solder side" and "part side" power things need to be attached to the psu.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
C and 3 are 2 points for the +5v line to come to the board. It's best to have all 4 points for +5v connected to the PSU to disperse the +5v, if you only use 2 lines for actual +5v you risk frying the wires when too many amps try to pass through 2 lines instead of 4. But I have seen some SGs built like that and are still working apparently. I guess it depends on what kind of boards you will be running on your SG. If you plan to use a multi-slot(4 or 6) MVS then it would be best to use 4 points and with at least 18 gauge wire.

A and 1 are ground points but ya same thing...lol In the diagram it's just all the grounds are connected to the PSU.

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
I give up, I made sure and did as you said, I wired up the controller, the video, the power, the aucio, everything, and it doesn't work... I'm giving up, apparently I can't solder, and apparently I'm just incapable of the entire thing... >.> I appreciate all the help, but unfortunately it was wasted on my horrid attempts...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Post a pic, you're probably missing something. Also what exactly doesn't work?

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
I'm not sure what doesn't work, but I don't get a picture at all, and no sound either, so who knows. And that's even hooking up sound directly. ie plugging in a known working speaker directly to the wires from the jamma.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Double check your wiring to the PSU.

Make sure +5v, +12v,-5v and ground are connected to the PSU from the harness.

Also if you have an arcade PSU with an adjustable screw make sure you set it to 5.1v at the board. A couple times the PSU I got were only set at 4.9v

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Double check your wiring to the PSU.

Make sure +5v, +12v,-5v and ground are connected to the PSU from the harness.

Also if you have an arcade PSU with an adjustable screw make sure you set it to 5.1v at the board. A couple times the PSU I got were only set at 4.9v

How do you do that James? I need to check mine thinking about it, have no clue though, have a multimeter, only know how to use the continuity tester though :loco: