Wolfenstein 3D for GBC

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Does anyone know anyone who can build this cart? It uses a co-processor to make it possible. I know someone did a run of them awhile back, but I'd imagine someone still can make them. Anyone?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah the coprocessor is the only thing that would have made Wolf3D so smooth on the damn GameBoy, it's impressive to look at (and I admit the non backlit look and pixel blur of the lcd screen gives me nostalgia), but it's curious they went this way as, IIRC, there was a pretty impressive unreleased FPS on the GBC that only used the base hardware. Might not be the quality this has, but still.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
That's pretty cool. I wonder if they started with Faceball 2000 and reprogrammed/enhanced that?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I know this isn’t the point, but I’d just play the GBA port - it was pretty solid.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I wanted to love it. But it's just so damn choppy. Should've been waaaay smoother being on GBA
I played it many years ago but though it was okay. Then again, I used to have no problem with sub 30 fps on Perfect Dark on N64 but I couldn’t go back to that today.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I played it many years ago but though it was okay. Then again, I used to have no problem with sub 30 fps on Perfect Dark on N64 but I couldn’t go back to that today.

What settings did you use on Perfect Dark? The poor frame rate can be improved. Try turning Hi-Res off and setting the display to 4:3 and letterbox. The less the game has to render, the better the frame rate will be. If you do need 16:9 anamorphic, it doesn't hurt performance too much, but it is noticeable.

I can confirm that turning Hi-Res on in fullscreen mode, even on a CRT is virtually unplayable, the input lag is unbelievable.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So no...nobody knows anyone who can make this cart?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
What settings did you use on Perfect Dark? The poor frame rate can be improved. Try turning Hi-Res off and setting the display to 4:3 and letterbox. The less the game has to render, the better the frame rate will be. If you do need 16:9 anamorphic, it doesn't hurt performance too much, but it is noticeable.

I can confirm that turning Hi-Res on in fullscreen mode, even on a CRT is virtually unplayable, the input lag is unbelievable.

Or, you know… play it on Xbox in HD at 60fps…

The steps you mention improve the game somewhat but it’s still pretty terrible by modern standards. Also works for Goldeneye.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you want to roll that way, sure. I find the N64 originals more charming, it's fun seeing the N64 pushed to its limits. I enjoy Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 for similar reasons.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If you want to roll that way, sure. I find the N64 originals more charming, it's fun seeing the N64 pushed to its limits. I enjoy Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 for similar reasons.

I do understand that feeling. I get the same sort of sick pleasure playing Witcher 3 on my Nintendo Switch - a port which shouldn’t exist on Switch hardware.