Worthy purchases in Canada?

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I'm looking to pick up an HD DVD player within the coming months for my father since his DVD player is about to bite the dust and he'd like to upgrade. Surely there must be some good deals North of the border, or is it cheaper to buy something online and have it shipped?

Also, is HD DVD the sure fire bet or should I go with Blu-Ray? I've been hearing all kinds of things but no definite answer.

Thanks in advance... :)

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
oldschool said:
I'm looking to pick up an HD DVD player within the coming months for my father since his DVD player is about to bite the dust and he'd like to upgrade. Surely there must be some good deals North of the border, or is it cheaper to buy something online and have it shipped?

Also, is HD DVD the sure fire bet or should I go with Blu-Ray? I've been hearing all kinds of things but no definite answer.

Thanks in advance... :)

There is no sure fire bet.

Ideally you have a 50% chance of hitting the right format.

However there is no guarantee either format will succeed into the mainstream.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
All of the best HD deals seem to be south of the border so if you live close to the border it might not be a bad idea to check it out or there is ebay.

As far as which format thats a tougher question. HD DVD prices are pretty good but for sheer number of movies it's blu-ray. Either way is a gamble. If you do go blu-ray though get a PS3. It's the only player out right now that will for sure support 1.1 and 2.0 profiles. If you get a stand alone that can't support them you'll likely be left high and dry with special features you can't access.

In the end it's up to your movie preferences. If your favorite movies are from Universal, Paramount or Dreamworks then HD DVD is the way to go. Anyone else is Blu-Ray keeping in mind that Warner releases on both.

On a funny side note I never even paid attention to what studio made what movie until this whole format war started.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This type of stuff has always been cheaper south of the border.... Even when the CND was in the shitter.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
All of the best HD deals seem to be south of the border so if you live close to the border it might not be a bad idea to check it out or there is ebay.

As far as which format thats a tougher question. HD DVD prices are pretty good but for sheer number of movies it's blu-ray. Either way is a gamble. If you do go blu-ray though get a PS3. It's the only player out right now that will for sure support 1.1 and 2.0 profiles. If you get a stand alone that can't support them you'll likely be left high and dry with special features you can't access.

In the end it's up to your movie preferences. If your favorite movies are from Universal, Paramount or Dreamworks then HD DVD is the way to go. Anyone else is Blu-Ray keeping in mind that Warner releases on both.

On a funny side note I never even paid attention to what studio made what movie until this whole format war started.

For the thread starter, just keep in mind that Steven Spielberg's films do not factor into the Paramount/Dreamworks side.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
DangerousK said:
For the thread starter, just keep in mind that Steven Spielberg's films do not factor into the Paramount/Dreamworks side.

Yes very true, which is odd considering Spielberg wants to move Dreamworks from Paramount to Universal now. I would have thought he would want to move Dreamworks to a pro blu-ray studio so that he could release his films on the format.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/21901648