WTB: CANDY CAB (Astro City, Aero City, Net City, Atomis Wave, or similar)

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looking to buy a Japanese style arcade cabinet (candy cab) with a two player control panel.

A stripped cabinet with monitor and power supply is pretty much all I need. Preferably a tri-sync rotatable monitor.

Let me know what you have.

I am outside of Austin Texas and looking for local pickup. I don't have the dough to have one shipped. Thanks.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Looking to buy a Japanese style arcade cabinet (candy cab) with a two player control panel.

A stripped cabinet with monitor and power supply is pretty much all I need. Preferably a tri-sync rotatable monitor.

Let me know what you have.

I am outside of Austin Texas and looking for local pickup. I don't have the dough to have one shipped. Thanks.

When you mention you don't have the money to get a cab shipped, I'm curious what your budget would be then? The things you are looking for can be costly, Cabs with Tri-sync monitors can get near, or above $1000, and also since you posted this as a wtb, you are looking for a member to sell you one, which chances are, would be cleaned up and possibly somewhat restored condition, therefore costing more than average. If there is one thing I've learned through cab ownership, is that arcade collecting is a money pit, if you are not after pcb's then there is always something to fix/replace on the cab, or something that just breaks down (most of these things are over 15 yrs old, and weren't exactly taken care of in their prime).

I can understand looking for the best option in shipping, and trying to find the best deal, but to outright say you don't have the money for it, then maybe you don't have the money for everything else that goes along with cab ownership.

and lastly, Since this thread, and subsequent bumps are the only things you've contributed to the community so far, I think you might have a tough time finding someone here that will sell to you. My advice is, save up some money, and bite the bullet on shipping, My first candy from Ken@gameroom, cost me $450 in shipping alone to get it from Utah to North Carolina. In Texas you'd be closer to ken in utah anyway, my shipping was set up by him, you might be able to find something cheaper if you set up your own shipping, like through Uship.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
450   0   0
Good advice Mugicha. This is and can be a very expensive addiction/hobby. If you don't have the cash to pony up, it's better to not get involved with cabs at all. Cab ownership can be costly and can easily turn into a money pit. Everyone is after the best deal they can find, but when it comes to candy cabs, which are scarce and hard to come by already, it doesn't pay to be cheap and if you are on a budget, it might be better to save up and then post again when you're able to get what you want. Otherwise, you might come by a bare bones beater cab, but it'll cost you much more in the long run.

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good advice Mugicha. This is and can be a very expensive addiction/hobby. If you don't have the cash to pony up, it's better to not get involved with cabs at all. Cab ownership can be costly and can easily turn into a money pit. Everyone is after the best deal they can find, but when it comes to candy cabs, which are scarce and hard to come by already, it doesn't pay to be cheap and if you are on a budget, it might be better to save up and then post again when you're able to get what you want. Otherwise, you might come by a bare bones beater cab, but it'll cost you much more in the long run.

Hi there,

I appreciate the good intentions underlying the advice. I posted this WTB specifically to garner the attention of anyone looking to sell a candy cab in CENTRAL TEXAS. Not that it is any of your business, but I have been collecting/trading arcade games for quite some time. I am the proud owner of a Sega Astro City II and an Egret II in addition to my Neo-Geo 4 slot MVS ver. 3. By the way, the EL panel replacement advice I found on this forum last year was great!! I would like a stripped machine to put my Atomis Wave and Naomi boards in and possibly get a PC/Emu. set up going. I am fully aware of the costs associated with the hobby.....my wife lets me know about it rather consistently. I do understand the cost associated with cab ownership as I do own several and have restored more than my fair share. I am also quite aware of the rarity of candy cabs in the US....for the most part. Southern California seems to have a surplus from my experience.

If you really care....I am willing to pay about $350 for a cab with a working monitor, a little more or a little less depending on condition. This post is a fishing expedition. Sometimes you get lucky...I certainly have in the past. I am not looking to buy someones pet cab that they spent a fortune to repair. I thought it couldn't hurt to try here...

However.....I am new to the Neo-Geo forums and frankly did not expect such a passive aggressive response to this post. I am looking for exactly what I posted. I know precisely what the machines are worth on the market and I know how much I am willing to pay. It seems silly to buy a cab from someone located half way across the country essentially turning a 1K transaction into a 1.5K transaction. I am not in a hurry. "Bumping" was simply to prevent the post from being pushed back or giving the appearance=that interest in this item was lost. As we say in Texas, "this isn't my first time to the rodeo". Maybe you all could be a little more courteous in your posts and not so condescending. I love the confirmatory "bro-fist" post you posted to Mugicha, loegan. It goes something like...."Yeah bro TELL THAT NOOB WHAZ 'UP".

Apparently, you have to be part of an "in crowd" on this forum to conduct business. Oh well....no love lost.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
How many posts do you have? What have you contributed to the community? Looks like the same number.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
As the owner of two Astro City cabs, they are relatively low maintenance, and one of the easiest cabs to find parts for.

On that note, $350 won't buy you a working cab. $350 might buy you a cab with major issues or repairs needed.

$600-$700 would be about what these trade for in fully working condition.

Good luck on your search!

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How many posts do you have? What have you contributed to the community? Looks like the same number.

What on Earth, does that have to do with posting a want-ad? The passive-aggressiveness of this thread has evolved into outright hostility. I'm an older guy and have been fortunate enough to interact with people in person and that I have met at conventions, as the scene is pretty lively here. I was "advised" that in addition to my traditional routes of game acquisition that I "try posting a WTB on the Neo-Geo forums"....

Big mistake, apparently.

I guess I can take any potential contributions that I may have posted once I got familiar with the forum and go elsewhere. I do not understand the mentality here. By the way, Pulstar is one of the more inferior Neo-Geo titles that I have owned....I think I traded it for Goal! Goal! Goal!

*if you can't see the humor in that.....we are all doomed.*

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
What on Earth, does that have to do with posting a want-ad? The passive-aggressiveness of this thread has evolved into outright hostility. I'm an older guy and have been fortunate enough to interact with people in person and that I have met at conventions, as the scene is pretty lively here. I was "advised" that in addition to my traditional routes of game acquisition that I "try posting a WTB on the Neo-Geo forums"....

Big mistake, apparently.

I guess I can take any potential contributions that I may have posted once I got familiar with the forum and go elsewhere. I do not understand the mentality here. By the way, Pulstar is one of the more inferior Neo-Geo titles that I have owned....I think I traded it for Goal! Goal! Goal!

*if you can't see the humor in that.....we are all doomed.*

I think you are the one who is getting hostile, by becoming part of the forums here would prolly get yourself a pretty good deal, but the way you are coming off I would just look over this thread because I don't know who you are. I am simply stating a fact, you went off the deep end with it. So you dont have the Pulstar anymore? Shame, I would have given you a Aero Fighters 3 US AES cart for it..oh well, hope you stay around for awhile :D

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think you are the one who is getting hostile, by becoming part of the forums here would prolly get yourself a pretty good deal, but the way you are coming off I would just look over this thread because I don't know who you are. I am simply stating a fact, you went off the deep end with it. So you dont have the Pulstar anymore? Shame, I would have given you a Aero Fighters 3 US AES cart for it..oh well, hope you stay around for awhile :D

LOL. Nice. How about 3 Pulstar's for AF3? <shuffles off to buy them on ebay>

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
450   0   0
THE1337ROB, Not trying to offend you, but you might of had a better response had you introduced yourself and participated a bit in the forums before posting a want to buy ad. Yeah, most noobs aren't well received when their only post is in the marketplace. You gotta consider that no one here knows you from anybody and this isn't craigslist. Thanks for sharing your intentions, sounds like you're familiar with the hobby and good luck with your fishing expedition. You might want to try craigslist, an operator or an arcade auction. You'd have better luck finding a $350 working candy. Most of the candy cab owners here take a lot of pride in their cabs and I know a few members here that have spent a fortune to repair them. Best of luck.

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
THE1337ROB, Not trying to offend you, but you might of had a better response had you introduced yourself and participated a bit in the forums before posting a want to buy ad. Yeah, most noobs aren't well received when their only post is in the marketplace. You gotta consider that no one here knows you from anybody and this isn't craigslist. Thanks for sharing your intentions, sounds like you're familiar with the hobby and good luck with your fishing expedition. You might want to try craigslist, an operator or an arcade auction. You'd have better luck finding a $350 working candy. Most of the candy cab owners here take a lot of pride in their cabs and I know a few members here that have spent a fortune to repair them. Best of luck.

It seems as though I just walked up to a group of close friends at the pub and started asking how much they all make and what they do for a living. Sorry. All good points. I was not aware that this was such a close-knit community.

I appreciate your advice on using Craigslist. It is, in fact one of my usual routes of acquisition (gettin' dealz). I currently have a gentleman offering me his Korean made Crown cab for $375. Not bad considering the rarity of this cab in the Western world and truth-be-told, if I was more wealthy I would buy it just to say I own one! A buddy of mine has one though, he got obsessed with them after spending four years in country with the army. He seems to like Korean women and rotten/pickled cabbage a lot more than he did in college now too....oh well, go figure. He loves it. The Crowns are however, inferior structurally to their Japanese counterparts and the monitors cannot handle a VGA 20 31kHz signal or for that matter can barely pass as med. res. Ironically, though, I have heard of people who prefer the Korean Myoungshin Fanta buttons and joys to Sanwa or Seimitsu.

If anyone of you own a Crown, let me know what you think!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Rob, don't worry about it man. We get to be close because we all share a common hobby. When you come out of the gate saying you want a working tri-sync monitor in a cab for 350$ people tend to think your a noob. I get it, you know your way around an arcade (and own some nice machines btw). Its merely a knee-jerk reaction to such a low ball price. I understand things are different on the west coast but let me give you an example... In the tri-state area where I live (VT,NH,ME) you can't buy a woody cab for less then 400$ with a working monitor, and thats no tri-sync! For my Blast City including shipping from Utah to Vermont, I spent 1,550$. Some would say thats crazy, I would say they live in SoCal. Things are just different all over, supply vs demand ya know. :)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
i get where you are coming from rob. i really do- but you need to work on your tact a bit first.

rather than coming off with an attitude to the people that are trying to help you.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you figure out where all of the candies are hiding in Texas please let me know. I'd expect the going rate closer to double what you're looking to pay though.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
If you figure out where all of the candies are hiding in Texas please let me know. I'd expect the going rate closer to double what you're looking to pay though.

/me hoards candy

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

The majority are hiding at Arcade UFO, right down the street from where I work! They are the only exclusively Japanese candy cab arcade in Texas (and the Southern U.S. as far as I know). Ryan isn't willing to sell though.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
The majority are hiding at Arcade UFO, right down the street from where I work! They are the only exclusively Japanese candy cab arcade in Texas (and the Southern U.S. as far as I know). Ryan isn't willing to sell though.

I might have to head down there with my scoop.....

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a friend that just started looking for one and online the closest place he has found that has one in his price range (about $600-700) is in Utah. Bit of a drive from Austin. would you say that Arcade UFO would be more likely to part with one or is he looking at taking a road trip?