WTB: NES/SNES Games as my brother moves away

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So my brother is moving away to Colorado for a job, which is kind of sad. Since we've both lived in the same area for a very long time, he designated me the "curator" of our games - the games we grew up with and co-owned. Well as he moves away, he will take games that belonged to him, and we are looking to figure out ways to split games that our completely ours. In doing so, we realized that there are some games that we should just both own in general. Unfortunately now is really not the time to be a buyer for SNES stuff considering the ridiculous prices but so it goes. Not emergency buys, doesn't have to be immediate at all. So here's a general list of what we are looking to pick up. If anyone has leads for cheap stuff, let me know.

NES:
Castlevania I, II, III
Zelda I, II
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Super Mario Bros I, II, III

SNES:
Zelda: Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Rock 'n Roll Racing
Secret of Mana (this is one of the biggest priorities)
Castlevania IV (also a big priority)
Mario All Stars
Super Metroid
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
can give you a copy of super mario bros/duck hunt if you want it. For Free!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I strongly recommend that you pick up a NES and SNES Everdrive, at least to tide you over while you look for those. The prices of those games have skyrocketed.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I strongly recommend that you pick up a NES and SNES Everdrive, at least to tide you over while you look for those. The prices of those games have skyrocketed.

Really? I look at that list and other than Mana (not so familiar with RnR or Zombie) those are extremely common games.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
Really? I look at that list and other than Mana (not so familiar with RnR or Zombie) those are extremely common games.

You better think again. All snes games are going up no matter what it is.
7y9etyju.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Are you okay with beat up loose players copies, or do you want teh mintz?

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just buy ever drives and call it a day Jono...fuck those prices.

Damned right. If I was just now getting in to playing older games, I'd buy Everdrives and that's it. I prefer having original copies of the games, but I'm not paying $40 for a loose cart that used to sell for MAYBE $10.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
Why buy an everdrive if we could just play emulators? They're basically the same.

Actually it's not the same brotha, emulators don't emulate the game only the hardware. An Everdrive is running the actual rom culled from the actual cart and is running on the actual hardware ;)

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Why buy an everdrive if we could just play emulators? They're basically the same.

Actually, they are the opposite. An emulator allows you to play original ROM code on an emulated machine. An Everdrive allows you to play original ROM code on an original machine with an emulated cartridge. The only difference in the experience of using an Everdrive is that you don't go over to the shelf and grab a cart, because they are all already on the Everdrive. But you are playing the original game code on the original hardware. Your logic would be equivalent to saying that playing burned games on a Sega Saturn is no different than playing a Saturn emulator.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Do you have any arcade PCBS? Don't really want to sell my snes stuff but will trade for some PCB goodness.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Actually, they are the opposite. An emulator allows you to play original ROM code on an emulated machine. An Everdrive allows you to play original ROM code on an original machine with an emulated cartridge. The only difference in the experience of using an Everdrive is that you don't go over to the shelf and grab a cart, because they are all already on the Everdrive. But you are playing the original game code on the original hardware. Your logic would be equivalent to saying that playing burned games on a Sega Saturn is no different than playing a Saturn emulator.

This. When people start to say TMNT IV is OMG RARE and sell it for $40 I say hello SD2SNES.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You better think again. All snes games are going up no matter what it is.

NO. You are seriously telling me people paid $40 for Metroid? And for a loose cart I might add. Holy shit. I mean those games should be like $20 tops. The 'very rare' part is a crock.

There's something about modern consoles that must be turning people off. This retro kick is bigger than I expected. Shame I'm not planning on selling anything, could have a small fortune laying around at those prices.

Sheeze. Earthbound at this moment has a bid of $170. Another loose cart. Mine has the guide but no box. I see other games fairly priced. More insane prices without bids. And yet a couple more that are surprisingly high.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
NO. You are seriously telling me people paid $40 for Metroid? And for a loose cart I might add. Holy shit. I mean those games should be like $20 tops. The 'very rare' part is a crock.

There's something about modern consoles that must be turning people off. This retro kick is bigger than I expected. Shame I'm not planning on selling anything, could have a small fortune laying around at those prices.

Sheeze. Earthbound at this moment has a bid of $170. Another loose cart. Mine has the guide but no box. I see other games fairly priced. More insane prices without bids. And yet a couple more that are surprisingly high.

Better check those Earthbound carts too, people are selling repros as legit, but a collector will never open the cart to check. Welcome to the world of collecting, every type of collecting has bootlegs as this hobby is no exception. You should see the fake coins I see all the time. Look legit as hell but weigh .0003 oz less than the actual coin.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had my EB for a long time, way before the craze started. If you mean homebrew ROM's placed in donor carts I'm aware of those and know they aren't real.

While browsing the SNES lots I came across 2 unfamiliar Chrono Trigger games. Can't believe they're over $120 and the reserve isn't met. Sellers must be as loony as the buyers, there's no value in 'fake' games. There's only one CT and it was worth every cent I paid way back when.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
There's nothing emulated about flash cartridges, like Everdrives. They load ROMs, then they work. Original cartridges hold the exact same data you download online, they are just trapped in an obsolete container. Multicarts are much the same thing as everdrives, but you can't customize what games are loaded. If a flash cartridge can't play certain games, it's because the game utilized extra hardware for whatever reason, hardware the flash cart doesn't yet support.

As others said, SNES prices are just nutty. Save yourself the insanity and pick up a couple flash cartridges. A Super UFO Pro 8 is about $50 at some places and will play 90% of the SNES library. For that tiny 10% that uses extra hardware, just buy the original cartridges. The SD2SNES is overpriced for what little extra functionality it offers over lesser flash carts.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There's nothing emulated about flash cartridges, like Everdrives. They load ROMs, then they work. Original cartridges hold the exact same data you download online, they are just trapped in an obsolete container. Multicarts are much the same thing as everdrives, but you can't customize what games are loaded. If a flash cartridge can't play certain games, it's because the game utilized extra hardware for whatever reason, hardware the flash cart doesn't yet support.

As others said, SNES prices are just nutty. Save yourself the insanity and pick up a couple flash cartridges. A Super UFO Pro 8 is about $50 at some places and will play 90% of the SNES library. For that tiny 10% that uses extra hardware, just buy the original cartridges. The SD2SNES is overpriced for what little extra functionality it offers over lesser flash carts.

The mappers (SNES, Genesis, NES, etc...) are actually emulated on flashcarts via hardware, but most don't affect any timing or gameplay issues (except on NES as they were more than just memory mappers). Other than that, it's like the same shit.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
The mappers (SNES, Genesis, NES, etc...) are actually emulated on flashcarts via hardware, but most don't affect any timing or gameplay issues (except on NES as they were more than just memory mappers). Other than that, it's like the same shit.

They're not emulated, you mean to say hardware implemented. In computing, emulating strictly means to mimic one type of CPU or custom hardware on another CPU. Flashcarts nowadays typically use FPGAs, which is basically an application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) that can be changed for different purposes. Therefore, there is no emulation sluggishness or inaccuracy.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
They're not emulated, you mean to say hardware implemented. In computing, emulating strictly means to mimic one type of CPU or custom hardware on another CPU. Flashcarts nowadays typically use FPGAs, which is basically an application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) that can be changed for different purposes. Therefore, there is no emulation sluggishness or inaccuracy.

No, they're emulated via hardware using a FPGA. Regardless of accuracy, it's emulation.