WTB SD2SNES

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Rating - 100%
145   0   0
Looking to pick up a SD2SNES, can pay cash or I have a nice Super Mario RPG for trade + cash.

My daughter loves the snes and I've decided I am not willing to pay for the insane prices of the games at this point.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If no one gets at you, wait until Black Friday in November. KRIKzz and Retrogate (2 different store fronts) usually have a sale then through the weekend. The stores usually go 20% off.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I wouldn't go this route after reading the forums on Krikzz's website. There tend to be some problems getting certain games to load. Sometimes they just stop working at all.

Everyone I know bought one from alliexpress including myself, it uses the same open source hardware and software that everyone else uses, not sure what issue they could be having except for you pay half of what they charge on that site. Any specific game that you know won't load on the Aliexpress one vs the krikzz version? I'll be glad to test it. Also I think I only had to pay like 109 bucks off alli so may be worth checking for another seller unless they just bumped prices up since they were selling so well.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can not speak for SNES but the MegaDrive/Gen one Krikzz gave permission/license for some Chinese to reproduce for cheap, but it came with a caveat -- NO firmware updates. If you try and stuff any updates he makes on the cheaper chinese model it bricks it.

I can not say for certain this is the case with the SNES device you are interested in but Id research before jumping at it, but if you dont care about firmware upgrades that could in time add more SNES chipped game support or bug fixes go for it. Price vs upgraded compatibility.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can not speak for SNES but the MegaDrive/Gen one Krikzz gave permission/license for some Chinese to reproduce for cheap, but it came with a caveat -- NO firmware updates. If you try and stuff any updates he makes on the cheaper chinese model it bricks it.

I can not say for certain this is the case with the SNES device you are interested in but Id research before jumping at it, but if you dont care about firmware upgrades that could in time add more SNES chipped game support or bug fixes go for it. Price vs upgraded compatibility.
I didn't know that Chinese people needed permission to clone stuff...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
If no one gets at you, wait until Black Friday in November. KRIKzz and Retrogate (2 different store fronts) usually have a sale then through the weekend. The stores usually go 20% off.

This is what I did last year, the BF sale really knocked the price down. I upgraded from a SNES Everdrive and it was totally worth it. It's an amazing device.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't know that Chinese people needed permission to clone stuff...

They dont and obviously usually dont seek it. Im just going by what krikzz said. Some chinese seler who peddles through aliexpess asked to sell the thing and gets the parts in mass loose and has to assemble them himself, but those parts also wont take a modern firmware over what is on it or it will brick. Believe me or not I do not care, but Im just taking what the maker of the everdrive said on his own forums awhile back.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Yeah that's true on the flash tech he made and I own his stuff too, great quality. this however is an open source software not developed by him, its been around some 5 years and I have not seen any of the updates come to fruition that had been mentioned in the past including FX chip support. There is a set standard of hardware needed to run the software but I don't believe he is actively creating updates for this open source software so I would doubt he could update the software, and then lock it up for only his cart as he's using other people material to begin with. If he writes new software from scratch then that would be different. Like the sweet GBA everdrive, that's all him and he deserves every dollar and I would not condone buying a clone of something he made himself. This however was community supported and he has no exclusivity to this cart. Hope that clears up why this cart is different and why buying these other brands is fine. The spec sheets were given out so anyone can make their own, china can just do it cheaper.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah that's true on the flash tech he made and I own his stuff too, great quality. this however is an open source software not developed by him, its been around some 5 years and I have not seen any of the updates come to fruition that had been mentioned in the past including FX chip support. There is a set standard of hardware needed to run the software but I don't believe he is actively creating updates for this open source software so I would doubt he could update the software, and then lock it up for only his cart as he's using other people material to begin with. If he writes new software from scratch then that would be different. Like the sweet GBA everdrive, that's all him and he deserves every dollar and I would not condone buying a clone of something he made himself. This however was community supported and he has no exclusivity to this cart. Hope that clears up why this cart is different and why buying these other brands is fine. The spec sheets were given out so anyone can make their own, china can just do it cheaper.

Really? I did not know he didn't design the SD2SNES as well as the other Everdrives he has done. Do you have a link to the community project?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Last edited: