WTB: Working Neo Geo CD Controller

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
U.S. Sellers Preferred

Need a controller for my omega. Looking for any working NEO-GEO CD, AES, or even custom stick at a decent price. Let me know what you have & feel free to throw me a PM.

edit: Leaning more now towards a Hori Fight stick that's been customized with a new buttons. Still looking for a CD controller as a backup if anyone has one at a Sub $50 price.

Edit #2: stick Found, just looking for any tested Neo Geo CD controller in good condition now.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Going to leave this up for another week. If I don't get any offers by this time next week I'm going to get something off eBay. Looking for custom sticks, CD controllers, pretty much anything that could work on my Omega.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you were in Australia I'd help you out but it's just not worth shipping across the pond!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
If you are open to a project I have a kit I could sell you for cheap. I was making custom omega controllers a couple years ago and have one kit left. But I have zero time/desire to finish it. I can PM u details if you are interested. You could in theory do it all without solder.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you are open to a project I have a kit I could sell you for cheap. I was making custom omega controllers a couple years ago and have one kit left. But I have zero time/desire to finish it. I can PM u details if you are interested. You could in theory do it all without solder.

Probably not. I'm just getting into neo geo, & my only soldering experience is replacing batteries on game boy pokemon games, so maybe once I get things setup. Right now mainly looking for something pre-built & ready to use. I've heard the bean controllers don't have real arcade buttons, I probably don't want one of those either. Are those hori SNK controllers I see on eBay any good?

hori.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Are those hori SNK controllers I see on eBay any good?
they're not SNK... but they're OK (like most Hori stuff). Can easily be modded to be even better. I'd say if you can get one for cheap, go for it.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
they're not SNK... but they're OK (like most Hori stuff). Can easily be modded to be even better. I'd say if you can get one for cheap, go for it.

Then they're too expensive. The cheapest one I see is over $100, in horrible condition. The next one up on eBay is over $150, & at that point you're paying for a box on top of it, with mod work added on top of THAT. xsq, you've had a neo geo for awhile. What do you recommend? I've got a PS1 to Neo adapter coming in the mail. As far as sticks go, should I just buy an original AES controller?

xsq

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yeah, that's way too much.

I'd always recommend building your own stick, especially if you can't find one for cheap. Easiest way would be to just pick up some very cheap prebuilt for the enclosure and replace the parts (JLF or LS32, Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons). The Neo doesn't need any encoders, it's just wired up straight, so that's a big plus. You could even use a shoebox for the enclosure...

The SNK Oldstyle has a good stick, but I'd replace the buttons. They have become more and more expensive as well, but shouldn't be more than $50 +shipping for a nice specimen...

There should be plenty of people stateside that can build a kick ass stick at a fair price for you as well.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your cheapest bet is to get a good used PS3/PC stick like a Mad Catz and Hori and buy the newly released Brookes PS3/PC to Neo converter from Paradise Arcade. The converter is $40 tho but here in Aus you can grab some great used PS3 sticks for like US $35-50.
When I say 'cheap' I mean that the internals (buttons and stick) are good and anyone including myself can swap them out to mod/repair etc.

xsq is right though you can get the original Neo stick cheaper but they are getting old now and generally have some wear and tear and not a great option if on a limited budget and you can't solder etc.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There should be plenty of people stateside that can build a kick ass stick at a fair price for you as well.

Anyone you can recommend? I was looking up Hori Neo Geo Controllers on youtube to see how people have modded theirs, & something simple like this would be perfect.

xsq

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Anyone you can recommend? I was looking up Hori Neo Geo Controllers on youtube to see how people have modded theirs, & something simple like this would be perfect.
I'd recommend you try yourself... like I said, it's super easy. Check out slagcoin for more info (more than you'll need in fact)... You could even buy pre-crimped wires and a DB15 breakout plus a DB15 extension cable and won't have to solder. Just plug it all together (with aforementioned sticks/buttons) and put it into any enclosure that fits (like I said, even a sturdy shoe box will do).

I'm not from the US, so can't really help you find a good maker/seller... anyone even a little into the technical side of arcade stuff should be able to hook you up. Maybe make a WTB thread in "Everything Else"... or try your luck with Lemony, Xian or someone active in the tech forums... IDK. Good luck anyhow.

Those sticks are Papierkorb's btw... Safe for the buttons I think that mod is cosmetic. Putting a JLF in there, now that's worth it :glee:

//EDIT: You can also add a DB15 out to an existing stick with good parts and common ground, like MtothaJ did with his Madcatz (similar mod by Grendell)...

Last edited:

violentluke

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I've modded a couple of the ps3 mad catz sticks, nothing to it and cheap.
They were also the first time I've ever built a stick and it took no time at all, easy to do with the pin connection chart and a breakout board.
That way you learn and it's fun to do, plus you can use whatever colors you want.
heres the 2 I did, JLF stick and Sanwa buttons
KKnrZ7m.jpg

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went to buy that Hori Fightstick on eBay for $100 with the intent to mod it & someone already bought it. Fucking hell. Guess I have to wait for another one to show up. Can any fightstick be modded easily to work on a neo geo or are there specific doner controllers I should be looking for?

violentluke

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I went to buy that Hori Fightstick on eBay for $100 with the intent to mod it & someone already bought it. Fucking hell. Guess I have to wait for another one to show up. Can any fightstick be modded easily to work on a neo geo or are there specific doner controllers I should be looking for?

I'm sure any can be modded but you want one that will fit the parts you wanna use

xsq

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Can any fightstick be modded easily to work on a neo geo or are there specific doner controllers I should be looking for?
generally any can be modded, but the effort needed varies. you should look for a common ground stick that already comes with good parts. like the madcatz i mentioned before.