WTF has been done here

magnus_101

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I bought a 6 slot cab last year and have only recently pulled the board out to get the battery replaced as well as give the slots a clean.How i didn't notice the wires like this when i bought it i don't know but everything works fine except for 2 slots that were making lines through the games.
My question is what the fuck has been done here and is it acceptable to leave it as is or can and should it be repaired?
Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

6slot002.jpg

6slot001.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The power portion of the edge connector has been badly damaged so he has (badly) soldered on that plug in order to get around that problem. Why he didn't fix it properly, I don't know.

That's a real amateur job if I've ever seen one. I'd expect my mother to do better. Also, that wiring is not sufficient for the current a 6 slot draws in my opinion.

magnus_101

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The power portion of the edge connector has been badly damaged so he has (badly) soldered on that plug in order to get around that problem. Why he didn't fix it properly, I don't know.

That's a real amateur job if I've ever seen one. I'd expect my mother to do better. Also, that wiring is not sufficient for the current a 6 slot draws in my opinion.
Thanks for the quick reply mate,i guess another question would be what would cause this sort of damage in the first place?

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Should be an easyish fix bud, be worth getting it properly fixed, not be Hewitson's mum though :make_fac:

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I think it was added so it can be powered by a PC power supply.

magnus_101

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think it was added so it can be powered by a PC power supply.
No it is wired into the original cab psu...Hewitson is right when he says it has been a half assed repair job to bypass the damaged edge connector.What i need to find out is what would have caused the damage to the edge connecter in the first place and then whether it can be repaired.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
A fault has developed on the board and caused a short which has drawn way too much current for the connector to be able to handle.

Let this be a lesson to people who use PC power supplies.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
A fault has developed on the board and caused a short which has drawn way too much current for the connector to be able to handle.

Let this be a lesson to people who use PC power supplies.

Not necessarily.

Pac Man board suffer horribly from this and it's a cascade effect in most situations.

If you have a short that is that bad then you'll find much more damage on the board such as burned traces and discolorations.

What happens on Pac Man is this: Oxidation on the connector and the board surface causes resistance. This causes a build-up of heat. This heat further causes the connection to go bad and will eventually result in the sagging of the harness connection pins and the burning of the trace.

To fix, you must rebuild the trace (copper trace tape FTW!) AND replace the connector. Otherwise it will burn up again in short order.

RJ