xbox 360 could back blu-ray

Megatron X

X nortageM,
if this has been posted, i apologize...

source...

CES The format wars have taken another turn this afternoon as Microsoft announced its Xbox 360 console might feature Blu-ray in the near future.

Albert Penello, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware said the console still supports HD DVD, but would gain a Blu-ray add-on if HD DVD fails as a next-generation format.

"It should be consumer choice, and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Penello told Reuters in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"I fundamentally don't think this has a significant impact on Xbox 360 versus PS3," he added.

Microsoft doesn't think that Warner's decision to drop HD DVD in favour of Blu-ray will make a difference to sales of the Xbox 360.

"You can't say it's not a bummer, not a setback, but I've seen this battle declared over so many times," Penello said.

"I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."

Microsoft has been here before. Back in 2006, its then Xbox chief, Peter Moore, said a Blu-ray add-on drive for the console was possible, if consumers favoured that format.

Dandy-J

Crazed MVS Addict
LOLZ!

Well, it doesn't surprise me that MS would consider making a Blu-ray player add-on. And he is right about the HD failing not affecting system sales, I mean, most people already had a 360 simply because it was the cheaper next gen choice. Though, I do think that a BD-rom drive may increase sales depending on the cost of the drive itself. But now I'm just being a dumbsh!t who's pointing out the obvious.. XD

But yeah, good reading. Thanks!

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Hooray, cheap BDROM drives for our PCs!

Oh wait, I can just mount my PS3's drive over the (gigabit) network. 360 owners can still get excited about this, though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wonder if sony would even let them make an add-on drive. Who knows but hope so, it would help boost Blu-Ray sales I guess.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I just own one because I like the games and the way Live works (well, when it's working).

This won't effect MS as far as sales go on there console, nor will it for Sony. This battle of HD media is fucking retarded any ways.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
subcons said:
This won't effect MS as far as sales go on there console, nor will it for Sony. This battle of HD media is fucking retarded any ways.
Well, it ended with the PS3 having 5 times the disc space of the 360.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Theyve been saying this since before the HDDVD player launched, nothing new

subcons

SpamYouToDeath said:

Meh, you pay for it. There's no need for that space any ways. Maybe come next gen, but then that disc space will be even cheaper.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
subcons said:
Meh, you pay for it. There's no need for that space any ways. Maybe come next gen, but then that disc space will be even cheaper.

We pay for a system that doesn't crap out as well.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
SpamYouToDeath said:
Which is why PS3 versions and ports are inferior? :spock:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:

That's quite the generalization, Buro. I thought you had more restraint.

(personally, I couldn't give a shit)

I just don't like the idea of game system's pricing and structure being determined by the movie format it plays.

MS did a very good thing by using DVD from the start, imo. People who see that as a weakness bother me.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Rade said:
That's quite the generalization, Buro. I thought you had more restraint.
How am I generalizing when I'm basically re-stating what the mainstream gaming media has already beaten to death?

PS3 owners say the same thing.

subcons

lachlan said:
We pay for a system that doesn't crap out as well.

Mine is still running. Granted, it's a little rough, but it runs. :D

I'm not bashing PS3. I don't own one, but I could care less which one people own.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
How am I generalizing when I'm basically re-stating what the mainstream gaming media has already beaten to death?

PS3 owners say the same thing.

DMC4 is slightly better on the PS3, the media says. I've got you on a technicality.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
subcons said:

I'm sorry...have you seen the tech demo's for Kill Zone 2? I'm not even talking about the amazing artistic direction...but the aim was to show that the BD rom is needed for such a game. The first stage alone, as they have said, is over 2.4 gigs of data, which doesnt account for the other myrad of detail in the game, the characters, animation data (which is constantly getting more and more complex), and digital score. Also, i remember Rockstar saying they have having trouble scaling back GTA4 to fit on one DVD for the 360 as it was originally being developed as a PS3 exclusive. The extra space on a disk is rather noteworthy and even if Blu-ray movies were to fail, sony has given developers a wonderful medium to work with in games.

there will be more and more impressive games on both systems in the next few years, but the added space on a BD rom does give developers a bit more freedom. And I'm still wondering why Blue Dragon was on 3 DVDs...

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
No, PS3 ports are inferior because there are still idiots in this world who write games using DirectX, and then shit themselves and outsource the work when their publisher wants a PS3 version.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
yagamikun said:
I'm sorry...have you seen the tech demo's for Kill Zone 2? I'm not even talking about the amazing artistic direction...but the aim was to show that the BD rom is needed for such a game. The first stage alone, as they have said, is over 2.4 gigs of data, which doesnt account for the other myrad of detail in the game, the characters, animation data (which is constantly getting more and more complex), and digital score. Also, i remember Rockstar saying they have having trouble scaling back GTA4 to fit on one DVD for the 360 as it was originally being developed as a PS3 exclusive. The extra space on a disk is rather noteworthy and even if Blu-ray movies were to fail, sony has given developers a wonderful medium to work with in games.

there will be more and more impressive games on both systems in the next few years, but the added space on a BD rom does give developers a bit more freedom. And I'm still wondering why Blue Dragon was on 3 DVDs...

I remember reading somewhere that the Kill Zone 2 Demo and Screen shots shown were heavily touched up. I also remember that the Tech Demo they showed was in video form only and supposedly played behind closed doors.

*Edit*

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/10/killzone-2-dev-admits-screenshots-touched-up/

It seems the Screen-shots were touched up but I haven't found anything on the Tech Demo yet.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
LOLZ...Xbox360...

Don't forget Paramount also is going BD only.

GAMEFAN

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Highlander67 said:
I remember reading somewhere that the Kill Zone 2 Demo and Screen shots shown were heavily touched up. I also remember that the Tech Demo they showed was in video form only and supposedly played behind closed doors.

*Edit*

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/10/killzone-2-dev-admits-screenshots-touched-up/

It seems the Screen-shots were touched up but I haven't found anything on the Tech Demo yet.

It's on the PSN. It's reletively new i think. it was a Tech demo where the developer was demonstrating to an audience running on the PS3. They would stop the intro to the level to sweep and pan the environment then go back to the running game just to get a sense of scale the game is shaping up to have. As far as screen shots, i havent seen any. I'll see if i can dig up the video on the net. It was very cool. Much like the dev videos for Uncharted and the like where you see what they are working on in the dev house and the PS3 that is running what you are watching.

*edit*

After reading the article you posted though...makes you wonder how many more games screen shots are "touched up". They make a good point in some color correction on a HD set could produce that image on the right and the image on the left (original) was taken off of a video so, take it for what it is as it is probably (as noted) distorted as well.

Last edited:

subcons

I'm all for developers making use of such a thing as more space available on discs. I hope Kill Zone 2 shapes up to be all it claims. The first one had such potential but ended up being pure failure.

I just think by the time developers/games require all this space, a next breed of systems will be coming out; so it's just a moot point. I can see Sony just sticking with the PS3 for years to come, just like they did with the PS2, which is stupid IMO. Technology moves too fast to do such a thing any more. MS will come out with something new and I'll probably buy it. And you know my major gripe with the PS3? The controller. I simply don't like it. It's just a personal opinion. I prefer the 360 controller. If I could use that controller with the PS3 and it was cheaper, I'd gladly buy one.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
subcons said:
I'm all for developers making use of such a thing as more space available on discs. I hope Kill Zone 2 shapes up to be all it claims. The first one had such potential but ended up being pure failure.

I just think by the time developers/games require all this space, a next breed of systems will be coming out; so it's just a moot point.

Lost Odyssey comes on 4 DVDs.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Lastblade said:
That's because that game is about 80% FMV.

Doesn't change the fact that it comes on 4 DVDs though.

Edit:

I mean, what is your point? Are you saying that 360 games shouldn't use FMV because it takes up too much storage space?

High definition video takes up a lot of storage. DVD9 doesn't have a whole lot...

What about PGR3 then? Devs having to drop content in order for the game to fit on a DVD. That was last year, not some speculative chat about the future...

DVD9 doesn't cut it for the next gen. Microsoft dropped the ball in order to keep costs down. Now they are really wishing they had spent more money on better build quality and a system with something better than a DVD drive...

Last edited:

subcons

People can keep listing off games that make use of all this disc space, that's fine. I still don't think 360 backing blu-ray is going to change anything as far as sales of either system goes. I buy a system for the games it has. PS3 has nothing exclusive that makes me want to buy one. The system is more advanced spec-wise, which you pay for, but do the games look better? No.

And I frankly don't care about watching movies on my game systems. I wish this combination of gaming and movie watching technology would just go away all together. It adds cost to a unit that has a feature which I never use.