Xbox (Original) to Jamma for use in a Sega Candy

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Since I can't afford to even breathe on a CAVE or TOAPLAN pcb...I've become a big fan of using my original xbox as a MAME device and specifically running COINOPS & VISIONARY as my emulators/front-ends.

I also just picked up a Sega New Astro City Candy Cab and was thinking that it might be cool to stuff an xbox in there running this. I feel like it's significantly better than the crappy menu mulit-boards that exist out there like Blue Elf and Pandora's Box. I'd love to read a tutorial or see a video on anyone that's done this? Lots of stuff on putting new consoles like 360's , PS3/4's and xbox ones in candy cabs. But this would be old school original xbox and going to JAMMA.

Wonder if anyone has done it and could provide some insight/advice?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
break down the idea of the console. you need two controller mods, a video mod and a audio mod.

what video does the cab accept? this will be the hardest part. ive never done vga mod as it requires a special bios.

mikemann

Quiz Detective
I should clarify they actually make a jamma to Xbox "timer" device. I believe it has the same issues as the multi boards. No ground on pin 27. But there will need to be some button mapping that I'm not 100% clear on May require a jamma fingerboard adapter.

So no pad hacks are actually needed nor any type of conversion card for video

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
then why did you even post this topic if you using some product? contact their tech support

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I use a Lemony Vengence box. Contact him here, or on FB.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
ultimarc.com will have everything you need from the control hookup to the video output. The only problem honestly with the OG xbox is that alot of the emulators utilize the thumbstick presses in combination with triggers and what not. It ends up not being the best solution for mame'ing in a cab. Just hunt around for an old pc. Anything you'll be able to mame on an OG XB can be done by an old ass PC. Again Ultimarc.com has all the shit you'd need to make it plug and play.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
ultimarc.com will have everything you need from the control hookup to the video output. The only problem honestly with the OG xbox is that alot of the emulators utilize the thumbstick presses in combination with triggers and what not. It ends up not being the best solution for mame'ing in a cab. Just hunt around for an old pc. Anything you'll be able to mame on an OG XB can be done by an old ass PC. Again Ultimarc.com has all the shit you'd need to make it plug and play.

Agreed.