XRGB-2 stopped working........

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Thanks in advance for any help/insight on the topic!!!1

Until recently, I've been using an XRGB-2 for all of my old school gaming goodness on my lcd tv. I bought it used off of another member 5-10 years ago. Every so often I would need to fiddle with the power supply to get the image to come on the screen. Now, I can't get an image at all. I have read about these units having problems with the power switch, and ac adapter.

If this helps, the ONLY light that turns on is the power light. No 15/31khtz light, and NO input (or source) light.

I have tried pressing the input button, but the unit doesn't recognize any input source. I have tried resetting the system as well (I think one method included holding one of the direction keys while powering it on).

So, do I need a new XRGB, or do you think the power cord could be the problem? I understand that I will need to give more info. Not a problem. All I really care about is playing my old systems (composite, s-video, scart) on my lcd with no lag and scanlines. It really looks nice........well, it did. :( I don't think I need the newest version (if I had to get a new one).

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... Every so often I would need to fiddle with the power supply to get the image to come on the screen. Now, I can't get an image at all. ....

Check the power pin socket.

Inspect the solder joints. See if these look nice and clean, or cracked and loose. A loose jack aint going to do squat.

Also, find a mulit-meter, and look at the power specs on the plug, then set your meter accordingly, and test it. See if you're getting good power. An adapter that isn't outputting the power you need to turn the board on will need to be replaced.

And, may also want to stick the plug in the jack, and turn it on, and meter the power where the jack meets the board, see if your getting good power at board/connector. If two don't mate when the power's on, then they ain worht a damn. :p

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
If all that is to much for you let us know and you can send it to me or skips or quan or james and we will get it going for you

SHOGUNATE_LSD

War Room Troll
xrgb2 had notoriously bad PSU, check with a compatible psu and see if it works. it might say it wants 11.5v, if it does, just give it 12

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Based on the pics I don't see any suspect caps or obvious burn signs. Like everyone else I would check the power supply first then move on from there. Make sure you get the right polarity tip otherwise you will have a bad time

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I checked the solder points for the power pin socket (I think that's correct) and the solder points seemed good and sturdy.

The multi-meters I have access to are archaic (analog). I suppose I should buy a decent one sooner or later. Should I just try a replacement power supply from Radio Shack? I saw a previous thread that had a picture of the original power supply: 12 Volts, .8 Amps. I would just have to be careful with the polarity. I'll let you guys know if that does the trick. It may have to wait till tomorrow, though.

Again, thanks for all the help everybody!!!

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Either of those will get you by.

But, in this hobby, you really need a decent digital multi-meter. It's like the very first tool in the tool box along with the drivers.

purple

Geese's Thug
have you tried measuring voltage on regulators? they seem overheated in the past.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

It was the power supply after all. The back of the unit says 13.8 Volts so I got an adapter rated at 13.5 Volts and 1 Amp. It works great! $30 is ALOT less than what I would have had to pay for another xrgb-2! I'm playing my Turbo Duo right now!!!

Thanks again. I guess I lucked out. :)