you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

Hi James

Unfortunately, the 3-legged thingie was a regular transistor, not a voltage regulator. From what I can see, your board is in fact designed for 5V input. Here's a thread that contains some more info: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?123636-NEO-AES-3-5-power-issue-(pics-added)

The A1442 they talk about in the thread is the 3-legged chip, but as post 2 says, your board seems to lack an LM2476 voltage regulator, which means it was designed for 5V input only. That also means that very likely the 10V input fried it. If you know how to use a volt meter, you could try connecting the AES to a 5V power adapter and turning it on, to verify if the chips are getting power correctly (they should get 5V, maybe a bit more) as described in that thread. This will not help fix it per se, but could help to understand where the problem is.

Regard, and best of luck.

Ok aha, thanks for taking a look.

Man, yet another ALMOST moment of hope........only for it go wrong in the end.

Will see if I can stomach doing more testing and having it tease me by having multiple slight rays of hope........wish the guy who sent me the PSU wasnt such an asshole and denying any culpability in the situation, he just keeps saying that the 10v 1amp PSU's work on EVERY single console he has (around 20 apparently, although I doubt it as surely he would be a rather serious collector and be here perhaps?) including 1st gen ones that he acknowledges require 5v 3amp PSU's..........yeah, makes sense doesnt it? Grrrr.

He has agreed to take back and refund the PSU though, at my cost of posting it back to him of course........wish there was some way I could prove 100% that his PSU fried it, as I am 99% sure due to how obvious it is but also due to how the original seller of the console has been so up front, amazing and generous (although perhaps out of guilt? ha ha) versus this guy acting like a contradictory, uninformed and plain lying swine.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
well, you could always send the console to someone to get it fixed... maybe channelmaniac or Xian Xi might be able to help or at least asses the damage...

//EDIT: Just realized you aren't from the US... you could maybe contact GadgetUK...
[and another US Member you could ask would be RetroTechRewind]

Last edited:
well, you could always send the console to someone to get it fixed... maybe channelmaniac or Xian Xi might be able to help or at least asses the damage...

//EDIT: Just realized you aren't from the US... you could maybe contact GadgetUK...

Yeah, that is probably the next step to be honest as my ability to see whats what via my own skills and/or people I know is pretty much at an end now.

Just did some googling for the GadgetUK fella and he seems like the man with the plan! so I shall get in touch with him via his Youtube perhaps.

Thanks again for the suggestion xsq! really appreciated all you guys' input.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Best of luck, I am pretty confident if your AES is fixable, GadgetUK will fix it. PLease just let us know how this ends...just create a thread for it, this one is already way offtopic ;).

Regards.

So either I'm terrible at utilizing the search feature (entirely likely) or this issue hasn't been covered in the Tech subforum.

Working with the 3-5 revision board NTSC-J, I'm using an offbrand DC adapter from Neo Store (9V, 1.2A). The images showcasing the issues are pretty large so I believe it's probably best to just link to an Imgur album to avoid cluttering up the thread.

Before I bought Riding Hero, I had it tested on the seller's AES and it worked perfectly, so I know the issue is with my AES. Same graphical issues with either bios.

I've cleaned the pin connectors and I've checked the continuity between the LSPC2 and the 68k, the VRAM - all good.

At this point I'm completely clueless as what to do.

xsq

Poking in the dark here a bit, but:
have you cleaned the slot itself?
what do you see if you do not insert any game?
what do you mean by "with either bios"?
do you have a Unibios?

//EDIT:
Use a good contact cleaner like DeOxit D5 when cleaning, because it removes corrosion (alcohol doesn't). If you don't know how to clean the slots: take an old shirt and put it over an old credit card, apply contact cleaner to the shirt, insert and remove.

Last edited:

lgroppo

n00b
Hi! I'm a new member!
After spending years lurking on this great forum i finally have some interesting content to share with all of you (regarding Shinkiro).
When i'll have the necessary privilege i'll create a dedicated post, hope you'll enjoy it, meanwhile really thanks to this great community!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Welcome to the desert of the real!

Am anxious to see your Toshiaki Mori goodies. We already had some appreciation threads, here's one of them.

lgroppo

n00b
Thanks! i have some "particular" goodies :-) really, the post i want to make has the question about that: are these some unique goodies? i'm so proud of that that i prefer to wait for privileges to make it, maybe a lot of you have already seen something like this, maybe not.
Maybe i'm going to post the most stupid post in the history of this forum, maybe not :-)
Thanks for the quick reply!

Welcome to the desert of the real!

Am anxious to see your Toshiaki Mori goodies. We already had some appreciation threads, here's one of them.

Poking in the dark here a bit, but:
have you cleaned the slot itself?
what do you see if you do not insert any game?
what do you mean by "with either bios"?
do you have a Unibios?

//EDIT:
Use a good contact cleaner like DeOxit D5 when cleaning, because it removes corrosion (alcohol doesn't). If you don't know how to clean the slots: take an old shirt and put it over an old credit card, apply contact cleaner to the shirt, insert and remove.

By cleaning the pin connector, I mean I cleaned the cartridge slot on the AES with the method you described.
Blue, aka the all clear.
"With either bios" I mean with stock bios and Unibios.

kkcloak

n00b
I'm actually on another forum [KLOV] and found this one to be pretty intimating for a long time.

I've been 4 years owner of my MVS 4 Slot and been enjoying it.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Hi, another newbie chiming in! Always been a fan of older technology and games, and have been reading about the Neo Geo for quite a while now. Recently bit the bullet and bought both a broken Neo Geo CD (No video) and a broken MVS board (Z80 Error), looking to fix the NGCD and building a cab for the MVS. I'm planning to build an MVS cab out of a Photoplay 2000 or similar machine once I got a little bit of cash saved up, since they seem relatively easy to mod and aren't too expensive around here, especially if the PC hardware inside is broken and the system isn't getting past the BIOS (which I don't need as the entire PC part will be replaced with the MVS). Have once played Puzzle Bobble on a real Big Red in a small amusement park near me, sadly the machine is now gone without a trace :( But, it did give me an impression of the Neo Geo, and it was quite positive! :)
Can't wait to get those pieces of hardware and cut my teeth further on Neo Geo, and becoming part of this community!

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Welcome to the forum. As to the sound: If you've checked the +5V and +12V lines, it is likely your board needs some new caps. Check out channelmaniac's store for those. [Also see this documentaion he wrote.]

As for the garbled graphics: We'll need some more info/details and pics. As a first step I would probably clean the slots and games with a good contact cleaner (DeOxit D5). Qtips (cotton swabs) for the edge connectors of your games and part of an old cotton t-shirt over a credit card for the slots.

strikers character select slot 1 (2).jpgcapacitors 2.jpgbattery.JPG

Gabled may have been the wrong word. It's more like "sliced". It's only on my Slot 1. I've uploaded a picture from the Strikers 1945 Plus Plane Select Menu that should show it pretty well.

I also included pictures of the battery and the capacitors. Do I need to replace the battery, or was it not an original battery and I can hold off?

I'll look into getting the recap kit you suggested, it's just been a crazy few weeks and I haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks.

xsq

Gabled may have been the wrong word. It's more like "sliced". It's only on my Slot 1. I've uploaded a picture from the Strikers 1945 Plus Plane Select Menu that should show it pretty well.
The pictures work. I'm assuming this is with all games, right? I would advise you to open a new thread in the tech section, as this is beyond my knowledge and I don't think a lot of people read this thread. If it's only in 1 slot (that's a MV-4F, right?), I would check the lines going off from there...

By cleaning the pin connector, I mean I cleaned the cartridge slot on the AES with the method you described.
Blue, aka the all clear.
"With either bios" I mean with stock bios and Unibios.
Do you have another game to test? I would guess there is a problem with the cart connector, because all other tests run fine... check the continuity on those... and/or open a thread in the tech section.

Hi, another newbie chiming in! ...
Welcome, all the best for your repair efforts. Are you sure a Photoplay 2000 could handle the video the Neo puts out? IIRC the Photoplay only does 30khz and the Neo is 15khz... but I don't know enough about those things...

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Welcome, all the best for your repair efforts. Are you sure a Photoplay 2000 could handle the video the Neo puts out? IIRC the Photoplay only does 30khz and the Neo is 15khz... but I don't know enough about those things...
You are certainly right, but that's also already considered, I just neglected to mention it since I will be going into more detail once I get the parts and get the project off the ground. I'd be using a GBS-8220 to convert the MVS' 15KHz RGBS signal to the right 30KHz VGA signal the monitor requires. I'd probably also throw in a scanline generator at some point. And I can always still do a monitor swap or get a better scaler over time.

xsq

The GBS will introduce considerable lag into your setup... and you do have the space for a proper crt monitor if you're going cab... so I'd just swap the monitor first thin.

AcidRedux

n00b
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and very excited to finally join the Neo Geo community. Last week I purchased my first Neo Geo AES and I'm already going nuts collecting for it. :multi_co:

Like most of us, my love for SNK started in the Arcades and stayed there for years since the AES required the sale of a kidney to acquire. As a kid I dreamt that Terry Bogard would knock on my parents door and drop off a brand new AES with all the games my greedy little child fingers could get a hold of. Many years later I heard about the Neo Geo X and suddenly grew nostalgia boner. Unfortunately it went limp pretty quickly once I received my NGX. I felt like I had betrayed the games I grew up loving with a cheap third-party hooker. I needed an MVS, a bottle of whiskey, and trash bag filled with quarters just to forget about my experience with the NGX. Once that was settled, my mind became focused on redemption in the form of an AES. After countless hours on ebay I couldn't find a sweet deal, so I decided to wait. Lo and behold a few weeks later I found one on craigslist in-box with 5 games a few miles from my house. After 20+ years of being on the outside looking in, the Neo Geo gods have finally blessed me with an Neo Geo AES!! :mr_t:

Do you have another game to test? I would guess there is a problem with the cart connector, because all other tests run fine... check the continuity on those... and/or open a thread in the tech section.

Continuity checks on the CHA board side of the pin connector to the appropriate pinouts to the LSPC, Neo-B1, Neo-D0 and z80 came back all good.

Only other game I have is a multicart running through a MVS-to-AES converter. Graphics issues persist with it too.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and very excited to finally join the Neo Geo community. Last week I purchased my first Neo Geo AES and I'm already going nuts collecting for it. :multi_co:

Like most of us, my love for SNK started in the Arcades and stayed there for years since the AES required the sale of a kidney to acquire. As a kid I dreamt that Terry Bogard would knock on my parents door and drop off a brand new AES with all the games my greedy little child fingers could get a hold of. Many years later I heard about the Neo Geo X and suddenly grew nostalgia boner. Unfortunately it went limp pretty quickly once I received my NGX. I felt like I had betrayed the games I grew up loving with a cheap third-party hooker. I needed an MVS, a bottle of whiskey, and trash bag filled with quarters just to forget about my experience with the NGX. Once that was settled, my mind became focused on redemption in the form of an AES. After countless hours on ebay I couldn't find a sweet deal, so I decided to wait. Lo and behold a few weeks later I found one on craigslist in-box with 5 games a few miles from my house. After 20+ years of being on the outside looking in, the Neo Geo gods have finally blessed me with an Neo Geo AES!! :mr_t:

Welcome aboard, but you should sell the AES now and get a consolized MVS.