You Have To See This!!!!!!!

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I hate mechanical engineers. I mean the firmware/programming of that I can understand how to do it/how it works. But the MechE's that figured out the physics/gyroscopics for that to work are insanely smart. As in "I can't fathom how they even started doing this" smart.

Well I doubt they (the robots) are doing that in any kind of a "smart" way, where the robots are say cognizant of what's around them (like if the robot was too close to the edge of the table it would have stepped off), that's the next "big" step for these things. Of course that's almost where the MechE's take off and the CompE's step up, but that's a whole separate challenge in and of itself again...

This shit is mind boggling.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Cool stuff - the way those ickle robots moove is eerily natural (well sorta).
But I think there is a story on the BBC news site about Sony making a robot that can actually RUN! (thats gotta be hard to do seeings as the robot would have to have both feet off the ground at one time).
I'll see if I can dig it out.

EDIT: Heres the link.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3330183.stm

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
And the purpose of a 12" dancing robot is.....?

Seriously, aside from an extremely expensive gag gift, where's the consumer motivation?

JHendrix

ResOGlas said:
And the purpose of a 12" dancing robot is.....?

Seriously, aside from an extremely expensive gag gift, where's the consumer motivation?

PROTOTYPE!!!

I mean can you think of the applications/demand if they can get a semi-cognizant functional humanoid Robot working?

We could have helper robots for the elderly/disabled (get things off the high shelf, go outside and get the paper, walk the dog, etc).

I'm not even going to go into the possible military applications...

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I gurantee its just Midgets dressed up and doing "the Robot".

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
JHendrix said:

I'm not even going to go into the possible military applications...
Yea, every anime fan in the entire world (myself included) would be drooling at the thought of tanks being replaced by RUDDY GREAT BIG MECHS!
Because eveyone knows that Mechs are cool as f**k - even if they would actually be impractical as hell. :D

JHendrix

toy_brain said:
Yea, every anime fan in the entire world (myself included) would be drooling at the thought of tanks being replaced by RUDDY GREAT BIG MECHS!
Because eveyone knows that Mechs are cool as f**k - even if they would actually be impractical as hell. :D

I was thinking remote controlled personell/robots for dangerous urban CQB like what we have in Iraq/Afghanistan now, but yeah the whole "mecha" thing is cool too. ;)

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
All I can visualize in my head right now is those little robots playing a versus game of DDR at the arcades. Could you imagine the crowd size at that place? :tickled:

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Ahhhh....
That is just too real to be real. Look at the way they move holy crap.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
these robots are genuine, my chinese flat mate said something about some going into production!, don't know if hes talking crap but he seems pretty serious, its good to know honda built these as my bikes a honda too :D

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
It's just the begining.

I mean you know they already have those vacuum cleaners that run themselves automaticly now... You can even get them at discount retailers.

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

zer0hue

Angel's Love Slave
I can dance better than those shitty-ass robots. Where’s Darrin with his signature pop-and-lock technique when you need him...

B00005TZYB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
RVF400 said:
http://bbs.kusos.com/kusos.com.203.io.wmv

these robots are amazing look at them!, these guys were made by honda, and thats all i know!.

what ya think?

Actually that not Honda's robot "Asimo". Its Sony's robot "Qrio" (pronounced 'curio' as in curious) and yeah, I saw this a few weeks ago. I was really impressed with the baseball throw (doesn't appear in this video, but if you can find, I highly suggest watching the demo of it).

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/

Last edited:

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
:shame:
this is the begining of the end an the rise of the machines just like in that fuckin animatrix anime "the second renausance"
thats some scary shit man :oh_no:

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
toy_brain said:

So no one else is more terrified of an army of 12" tall dancing fan-waving robots that look like perverse stop-motion animation in real life than they are of towering mecha?

I would kill for some of these. I couldn't handlejust having one though, I'd need at least 8 dancing robots to be content.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Have you guys heard them speak?

I saw it on the sony webpage, a month ago or so.

i think someone posted the link above.

I think that they're cool as hell, but after hearing them speak....

scary.

Greyrs91

n00b
Has anyone read the book Robosapiens? It's a really good book about robotics that features robots from around the world. Also, for anyone interested in robotics, here's the url of Rodney Brooks' website
Rodney Brooks
He is the head of the AI Lab at MIT, and has been featured in many documentaries and IIRC worked with NASA on the Mars exploration.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
yeah these are the robots i made a post about around 2 months ago, there was a campaign on tv over here introducing them around that time...

they are the successor to the sony dog robot (cant remember what its called right now) but they dont just dance, they speak and can be taught and do a whole bunch of other stuff.. they are going to be pretty expensive i think at prolly about $1500 - $2000.

id still love to grab one though.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
hehe i gotta get one!, when are they released?, maybe i can import one

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
doesnt seem to have a release date yet.. prolly this year though..

Cassius

Benji, everyone loves Benji!
they didnt really have an enthusiastic audience, youd have thought at least one person would have clapped at the end :annoyed: