Your favourite music collabs

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
From the top of my head... The Roots with D'Angelo on illadelph halflife, Carl Craig and Richie Hawtin on Programmed (Innerzone Orchestra). My most favorite, though is Cristian Vogel and Jamie Lidell as Super_Collider. Together they were even better than solo.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was also going to post that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" performance, mostly because Prince fucking rocks. But wasn't sure if it really counts as a collaboration. More like a bunch of famous musicians jamming together, and George's son Dhani. I think of a collab being more like they wrote or recorded the song together.

So if that counts, how about mashups?
This one with Fugazi and Wu-tang is fucking badass. There are other songs featuring the two groups as well, also on YT.

You are right about the collaborative aspect. I think I was just swept up in the fever dream of throwing down whatever crossed my mind

Edit
@asid
Oh shit, had never heard that song ft Chino. Was a big Deftones fan from the get go, and that song is definitely a little gem.
The whole hardcore/post hardcore scene that was going on at the time and within which Chino Moreno was somewhat involved iwith at least at the periphery, was really interesting

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Here's a classic: Aerosmith and RUN DMC

Gutter Twins: Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs) and Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees)

Goon Moon: Jeordie White (Marilyn Manson) and Chris Goss (Masters of Reality) among others

Here's another Desert Sessions song with Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) and Les Claypool (Primus) among others

Not sure if Run the Jewels counts, but they are BADASS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I've always assumed the guttural sounding vocals at 2:44 are Davis. Am I wrong? Is it Patton?

I know Davis sings the verse.

Not 100% sure but this I pulled from a site which sites an interview with Max Cavalera regarding the recording of the song

~“Mike Patton was on the song, and Jonathan’s a huge Faith No More fan. He was actually freaking out that Patton was there. He was really nervous, which was actually kind of funny. He kept chewing on his hair the whole time he was in the studio.”

According to Cavalera, Patton started singing an Indian chant in the studio, giving Cavalera goosebumps.

“It was so intense,” Cavalera said. “He showed up in the studio with a Samsonite briefcase. I was like, ‘Mike, what’s up with the briefcase?’ He said, ‘It’s what I need to record.’ It had an echo pedal inside for his voice and a bottle of wine. He opened the wine and we drank it. At one point, the three of us were on the floor of the studio going crazy and making weird noises and sounds.”

It’s no “guttural sing-shouting with an uncontacted indigenous tribe deep in the jungles of New Guinea,” but it sounds exactly like a Patton jam nonetheless~

Last edited: