Yuzo Koshiro's influences(Streets of Rage music thread)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Thanks to Maury V. for sharing this with me. We already knew his music sounded just like 90s dance and hip hop music but I'm sure we couldn't always match specific songs to Yuzo's tracks cuz so many songs sounded alike at that time. However this guy found the exact songs. For many of these songs Yuzo nearly copied them beat for beat LOL.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Thanks for giving me credit! :D But for real, the music he used was stuff i've never heard of! I know Black Box but most of the songs in that video are stuff i've never heard.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
But for real, the music he used was stuff i've never heard of! I know Black Box but most of the songs in that video are stuff i've never heard.

You were too young when most of that stuff came out so its not surprising you hadn't heard them.

Man, he really loved Black Box. lol

While many of those are pretty close in that video, some of those are kind of a stretch. No doubt though, Yuzo most likely did lift the rhythm from many early 90's dance and hip hop songs. Still amazing he was able to get that out of the Mega Drive.

Time to go fire up some SoR2.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
You were too young when most of that stuff came out so its not surprising you hadn't heard them.

While many of those are pretty close in that video, some of those are kind of a stretch. No doubt though, Yuzo most likely did lift the rhythm from many early 90's dance and hip hop songs. Still amazing he was able to get that out of the Mega Drive.

Time to go fire up some SoR2.

Dood, I was like 6 or 7 when the game came out! I was pretty versed in music at that age but most of what Black Box had was just some stuff I missed out on mainly because I was a HUGE jazz and r&b head growing up (that and I was too young to buy tapes/CDs/LPs). Even at that age, I wasn't too into what was on the radio.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Thanks to Maury V. for sharing this with me. We already knew his music sounded just like 90s dance and hip hop music but I'm sure we couldn't always match specific songs to Yuzo's tracks cuz so many songs sounded alike at that time. However this guy found the exact songs. For many of these songs Yuzo nearly copied them beat for beat LOL
I HAVE NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD...
however, thanks for sharing this. I recognised a few tracks here and there (especially Move Any Mountain) but had no idea how much music from SOR, had not only been influenced, but just flat out copied from the source.

I had plans for my afternoon, but after watching this video, I fear I'll be sat playing the SOR series for the rest of the day :)

AS A SIDENOTE:
Am I the only person who really dug the super-OTT musical style of the 3rd title in the series? I only actually got around to finally playing it a year or two ago, and I was actually blown away by what Koshiro had achieved in that game, musically. Pretty complex stuff. It's also a shame that it took a dedicated fan to create a SOR 'sequel' that included Adam again. He should have returned for 3... or should have just been in 2, with skate being the one who was kidnapped. Max & Zan = leave.

evil son

Bead Banger
wow thats an amaizing find thxs for sharing.this makes me want to go back an play it just to hear those songs.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
can we make this a Game/Real music similarity thread

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
that's probably what this thread is gonna turn into anyway so might as well go with it.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Yeah he sure did. Back in the 90s I listened to a bunch of Dance music acts but I didn't actively listen to Black Box so that's why this is all is coming as a surprise to me. Since watching this video all I wanna do is listen to old 90s dance music and play Streets of Rage LOL.

I HAVE NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD...

AS A SIDENOTE:
Am I the only person who really dug the super-OTT musical style of the 3rd title in the series? I only actually got around to finally playing it a year or two ago, and I was actually blown away by what Koshiro had achieved in that game, musically. Pretty complex stuff. It's also a shame that it took a dedicated fan to create a SOR 'sequel' that included Adam again. He should have returned for 3... or should have just been in 2, with skate being the one who was kidnapped. Max & Zan = leave.

I dug it after a while but not initially because of how SOR 1 & 2 captivated me. SOR utilized more "Hard" techno tracks and i was more accustomed to those cheesy Euro top 40s Dance tracks

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
can we make this a Game/Real music similarity thread

Rock's theme Spread the Wings, and Robert Miles' Children is my favorite similarity. Love em both.

similarity starts at :50

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Sorry noob can' figure out the embed:oh_no:

If you click the YouTube embed button all you need to paste are the letters/numbers after "watch?v=". But if you just click the film strip button you can just paste the whole video URL in there and it'll work. That's the one I usually use cuz I'm lazy.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
If you click the YouTube embed button all you need to paste are the letters/numbers after "watch?v=". But if you just click the film strip button you can just paste the whole video URL in there and it'll work. That's the one I usually use cuz I'm lazy.

Thx Spinmaster, was goin a lil crazy there for a sec, I appreciate it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah he sure did. Back in the 90s I listened to a bunch of Dance music acts but I didn't actively listen to Black Box so that's why this is all is coming as a surprise to me. Since watching this video all I wanna do is listen to old 90s dance music and play Streets of Rage LOL.

Honestly 90s dance is about all I listen to these days. I have a 2 Unlimited cd in my car right now. Haha

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I mean, there's a hugely similar stylistic imprint there, but even the Black Box tracks are hardly ripped 1-to-1.
(Also...that Black Box track Fantasy is a remake of someone else's track. LOL.) If anything, it just proves the old
adage...art doesn't exist in a vacuum, and there are very few completely original works in existence, period. Even if
you use someone else's 'note', it's YOUR interpretation and usage of said note within the context of your own work
that really matters. Yuzo Koshiro = still a genius. What's the saying? Good artists borrow, great artists STEAL.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Some are a stretch( the PE song especially ) but as Loopz said this takes nothing from Yuzo and if you think so then kill yourself

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Honestly 90s dance is about all I listen to these days. I have a 2 Unlimited cd in my car right now. Haha

I remember when the game was released, the fact that the games soundtrack was 2Unlimted was part of the marketing behind it, I don't recall that happenning very much back then and even now.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member

I remember when the game was released, the fact that the games soundtrack was 2Unlimted was part of the marketing behind it, I don't recall that happenning very much back then and even now.

LOL that is awesome. I'd love to make my own line of games that has 90s influenced music.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

everyone should hear JUMP from Van Halen in there.

Last edited:

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
If it's copied beat for beat then it isn't influence, it's plagiarism.

Kenji Yamamoto used other people's work "as influence", until the whole, you know, lawsuits and song replacement and firing thing happened.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Koshiro is like the Led Zeppelin of video game music.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Corny.

It's a shame that the original OST was replaced by poorly sampled 2Unlimited tracks. I mean, they could have done that to any game. I guess it serves Athena right for getting in bed with Activision.

As for the OP, pretty interesting.