Car Enthusiast Thread

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
My Own Worst Enemy
Staring 2010 Camaro SS
co-staring Cristian Slater
http://www.nbc.com/My_Own_Worst_Enemy/
This is the show the silver production pics leaked from.
christian-slater-my-own-worst-enemy-3.jpg

camaro.jpg

camaro2.jpg

camaropro1.jpg

camaropro2.jpg

interior looks nice from the little you can see.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
it counts one or two more posts than there are, so when its near the bottom of a page, the next page shows up but doesnt work, it just brings you back.

Ah yeah, I remember noticing that happened right as we neared the 10,000 mark.

I view at 50 posts per page though so it doesn't bug me as often.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
production shots leaked!

production_2010_camaro_coupe_1280_-00.jpg

production_2010_camaro_coupe_1280_-01.jpg

production_2010_camaro_coupe_1280_-02.jpg

CarTribe has procured a few shots and the initial details of the production Chevrolet Camaro ahead of its official unveiling this Monday. According to their report, the Camaro will come in LS, LT and SS trim, equipped with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed automatic. Of course, that doesn't account for the very-obviously-marked RS car that is shown in the official photos, so who knows what the whole story is.

Engine choices include either a 296 hp, 3.6-liter V6 or a 416 hp 6.2-liter V8 which will feature cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. Underneath the retro sheetmetal is a full independent suspension and StabiliTrak traction control system. Four-pot Brembo brakes are mounted up front on the SS variant, and the 3,700-pound coupe will reportedly have a weight balance of 52/48, front/rear. The neuvo-retro theme is carried inside with a gauge cluster inspired by the 1969 model, along with leather seats and blue LED lighting.

the LS, LT, SS trim info sounds pretty wrong.

more pics here!
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-chevy-camaro-pics-aplenty/

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
There are far too many shots of that ugly ass car in this thread.

So how about shots of another ugly ass car...

Introducing, the 6th Generation Ford Taurus.

2010-ford-taurus.jpg

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I saw the new Challenger yesterday. I think Chrysler design took Chevrolet's retro method and simply filleted every edge. I always liked the Challenger but I do not think this one will fare well.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I saw the new Challenger yesterday. I think Chrysler design took Chevrolet's retro method and simply filleted every edge. I always liked the Challenger but I do not think this one will fare well.

Thats funny. I was just coming in to post that I really want to order a 2009 challenger rt with nothing but the 6 speed. 30k for 370hp/390+ torque is a pretty decent value even if the car is 4000lbs. It's also the sexiest car I've ever seen. I'm also excited by the rumors that the 6 speed manual version will make slighty more power.

Anyone else kind of disappointed by the camaro news that was leaked out early? I know it's not official YET, but 3900+ lbs for the SS model is kind ofpiggy. I was prepared to put the cash down to order one...but now I'm not so sure. I think it'll be a faster car than the challenger rt still (lighter probably plus more hp) and probably better handling, but unless I can pick one up for the same cost as the dodge, I'll probably go for a slightly slower car that looks infinately better.

Matt

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Thats funny. I was just coming in to post that I really want to order a 2009 challenger rt with nothing but the 6 speed. 30k for 370hp/390+ torque is a pretty decent value even if the car is 4000lbs. It's also the sexiest car I've ever seen. I'm also excited by the rumors that the 6 speed manual version will make slighty more power.

Anyone else kind of disappointed by the camaro news that was leaked out early? I know it's not official YET, but 3900+ lbs for the SS model is kind ofpiggy. I was prepared to put the cash down to order one...but now I'm not so sure. I think it'll be a faster car than the challenger rt still (lighter probably plus more hp) and probably better handling, but unless I can pick one up for the same cost as the dodge, I'll probably go for a slightly slower car that looks infinately better.

Matt

or go for an ugly car that has it where it counts. the new subaru impreza WRX STi,

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member

Matt

i think the challenger is just too big. im not sold on the wieght, interior, fuel economy, or looks. but the price is lower than i expected and the performance is above the mustang. standard options and features are pretty sparse though. im surprised at no lsd in the 09.

i cant believe its big enough to have a rear bench seat.

the camaro weighs more than the mustang but less than the challenger. its also got IRS with unequal half shafts (like in the vette, to prevent weelhop.) 6 speed autos (available with paddle shifters) and manuals. the auto v8 has DOD. the v6 puts out 300hp. lsd standard in everything but the v6 auto. abs, traction control standard.

its also smaller than the challenger, its the lowest of the three, and imo looks the best.

im not 100% thrilled with the interior. the tach and speedo are reversed and i hate the font, along with the numbering, and just the design in general (i dont like it on the 68 either.)

i dont really like the full grilles either. im really looking forward to the next generation of these cars.

but in the mean time im saving for a z28 when it comes out.

the live unveiling is at 4pm edt today. there should be info on all the packages and options too.

edit:
i just built a base model challenger se.
no abs, no traction control, rear drum brakes, 4 speed auto, 250hp v6, 1 interior color, 17x8 wheels with 215?? tires, and i think no lsd.
thats pretty ridiculous for a 2009. but then it only comes in at $22,000.

off to build a base model stang.

ok so $21,000 gets you:
210hp v6. 5 speed manual (add 1k for auto.) 16" wheels with 215s, 4 wheel disc but no abs or tcs. three interior color choices. and obviously no irs.

they might have low base msrps, but you dont fuckin get anything for that price. the option to buy a stripper car is nice, but the msrp is misleading.

the base v6 camaro has abs, tcs, 4 wheel disc, lsd, 6 speed, 300hp, multiple interior colors and accent colors. 17 or 18" wheels with 245s.
(from what has been released so far. most info has led everyone to believe there is no no option version of the base model.)

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I like the looks of the Challenger best between the three, but that weight is insane. Then again, the original wasn't exactly small or light.

Force

20 Year Member
i think the challenger is just too big. im not sold on the wieght, interior, fuel economy, or looks. but the price is lower than i expected and the performance is above the mustang. standard options and features are pretty sparse though. im surprised at no lsd in the 09.

This whole reply is just base on the current unofficial info floating around right now before the offocial unveiling of the camaro in an hour, but...

First of all the gas milage between the challenger rt and the camaro is the same. 16/23.

Next, the weight. The current challenger rt specs say that it weights the same as the 2008 srt8 version, which is 4140 lbs....but I haven't seen this official from dodge anywhere and I find it hard to beleive since the srt8 has slightly more equipment. If anything, it's going to weigh less...probably closer to 4050 or so. Still a porker, but if the comparable camaro comes in at 3900, it's only a weight difference of 150. Thats not that big of a difference for a street car. As far as physical size (length width etc) I'm too lazy to dig for the official specs, but iirc I did see a shot of a challanger next to a camaro, the they were about the same size.

The 09 RT and SRT8 challengers also have LSD. With the srt8 model it comes standard with the auto and stick, and the RT it's only available with the stick. Maybe you're thinking about the limited run of the srt8, which from what I read didn't have lsd available for it at all...

the camaro weighs more than the mustang but less than the challenger. its also got IRS with unequal half shafts (like in the vette, to prevent weelhop.) 6 speed autos (available with paddle shifters) and manuals. the auto v8 has DOD. the v6 puts out 300hp. lsd standard in everything but the v6 auto. abs, traction control standard.

Yeah, the paddle shiters on the auto camaros will be nice...and while we're on the subject the automatic transmission used on the camaro is also much better than the shitty 5 speed they're putting on the automatic challengers. But my main interest is in the 6 speed manual challenger with the trak pak, so I guess it doesn't bother me much.

The chellenger rear end on the rt and srt8 also has some anti spin/anti wheel hop technology incoprated as well, although I don't know how it compares to the stuff used in the camaro/vette.

The auto challengers also have dod.

Traction control and abs is also standard on the rt and srt8 challengers.

And I have to applaud gm for the v6 camaro. It sounds like it's going to be a worthwhile performance car for once. That 3.6l caddy DI v6 is a monster. Plus it's lighter, and they're even making a sport package for it, which I'm not sure, but I've heard has some handling upgrades. They're also packing it full of features that on other vehicles only come standard with the higher priced v8 models.

its also smaller than the challenger, its the lowest of the three, and imo looks the best.

I feel the opposite on looks. In fact, I think the new challenger is IMO the best looking car in production today, and the camaro is easily the weakest of the three retro designed cars out now.

Some other random thoughts. The challenger rt with a 6 speed has hill assist, which is a big deal to me since I'm not that great on a stick (yet) and hawaii is just one massive hill sticking out of the ocean. Also, the camaro has a pretty good weight balance (52/48). I wonder if the rt will compare to that.

It's also worth noting that the ss will include brembos, while the it looks like the challenger will skimp on the brakes a bit.

It's no doubt the camaro will be a faster car. It's lighter with more hp. But I don't think the speed difference will be that major, and the the ss and rt seem to have the same features more or less. Plus, as I said above, I think the challenger looks infinately better.

But, I'm waiting for gm to announce the camaro stuff before I run to the dodge dealership. If the ss and rt are similarly priced, I might change my mind. Speaking of which, they should be out by now.

Matt

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Plus, as I said above, I think the challenger looks infinately better.

But, I'm waiting for gm to announce the camaro stuff before I run to the dodge dealership. If the ss and rt are similarly priced, I might change my mind. Speaking of which, they should be out by now.

Matt

i was a little pissed today to find out that theres still no pricing info. that was the whole reason i went through the mustang and challenger base models, for a price comparison.

meh.

have you seen the camaro or challenger in person?

i think the challenger looks great in pictures. but when i saw it at naias, it was huge, and the lines are so subtle, it looks like a toy or impression or something.

the camaro on the other hand, i think looks like shit in pictures. especially the front end. same goes for mine in my sig, and every other generation. but when i saw it in person it was amazing how much better it looked. just like my 4th gen, it looks so much better in person and i dont know how to capture that in pictures. i think something just gets lost.

anyway with that all said. the live unveil was a let down, as was the information sheet, AND the color choice. even though ill probably get victory red or black, i would have liked to see hugger orange, a bright blue, and a brightish green (like on the yenko 1st gens you always see.)

the gearing for the transmissions just seem odd. the one manual only has 1 overdrive gear. wtf?
and i think only one has a 1.0 gear. :conf:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Hehehe, down here they sell it as the "Renault Sandero", just like the Dacia Logan, here it's the Renault Logan.

Sad Romanian cars...

well i'm just glad i'm not the only one who got the joke. thanks mushiki

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I'm writing for a local car magazine now :)

Next month: Mazda Furai :emb:

Force

20 Year Member
i was a little pissed today to find out that theres still no pricing info. that was the whole reason i went through the mustang and challenger base models, for a price comparison.

meh.

have you seen the camaro or challenger in person?

I just came back from the dodge dealership and they had an orange srt8 challenger on the showroom floor. I don;t know what you're talking about. It's even sexier in person than in pictures. You're right about one thing though. It is pretty massive. I expected it cause it's more or less the same chassis as the huge ass charger, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how massive it really would be. Still though,it's the sexiest car I've ever seen and now I want one more than ever.

I would have ordered one today, but they wanted a 10k markup.

Matt

Edit: just talked to a dealership on the mainland. they'll take my order for less than msrp and the cost to ship won't be too bad.

Matt

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I just came back from the dodge dealership and they had an orange srt8 challenger on the showroom floor. I don;t know what you're talking about. It's even sexier in person than in pictures. You're right about one thing though. It is pretty massive. I expected it cause it's more or less the same chassis as the huge ass charger, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how massive it really would be. Still though,it's the sexiest car I've ever seen and now I want one more than ever.

I would have ordered one today, but they wanted a 10k markup.

Matt

Edit: just talked to a dealership on the mainland. they'll take my order for less than msrp and the cost to ship won't be too bad.

Matt

damn 10k markup. im afraid of what the eventual z28 markups will be like. :eek:

im not sure what it is about the challenger. i think its just because its big, the lines and curves lose definition or something. it looks like a big fiberglass thing. not thin light sheetmetal. (im well aware that fiberglass is lighter than metal, not the point.) the edges are glossed over, etc. i dont really like the tail lights much. the front grille is great though.

i dont hate it trust me, its a cool car and im glad to see it. but i would pick the camaro and then the mustang over it.

i was in my 86 caprice the other day, and came across what i thought was one of those new avengers. then i realized it was a charger. i couldnt believe how small it looked compared to my caprice. when im in my camaro they look gigantic.

also an update on my car:
i just rolled down to the shop. its only like 6 blocks or so. between goin into neutral and the ebrake it was no trouble. i had a guide infront of course.

my ebrake probably hates me.

i noticed a squeak from the right wheel. any ideas?

i suppose it could be the diff or axle bearrings or something, but im hoping its just the brakes not sitting right.

also initial impressions of the gears and lsd:

the gears make the car feel toquier or something, but like theres more of a load. ill obviously rest further judgement for when i can drive it properly.

i made a left from a stop and could definitely feel the difference with the lsd. much much nicer.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
my rental this week is a white impala.

i had cars pulling over in front of me... dead serious...

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Drove one of these this weekend

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

It was pretty fun

Force

20 Year Member
damn 10k markup. im afraid of what the eventual z28 markups will be like. :eek:

im not sure what it is about the challenger. i think its just because its big, the lines and curves lose definition or something. it looks like a big fiberglass thing. not thin light sheetmetal. (im well aware that fiberglass is lighter than metal, not the point.) the edges are glossed over, etc. i dont really like the tail lights much. the front grille is great though.

i dont hate it trust me, its a cool car and im glad to see it. but i would pick the camaro and then the mustang over it.

Some dealerships on the mainland are taking orders for 09 challengers for less than msrp, such as champion dodge in IL. But this is hawaii where we don't have too much of a choice, so they try to rape you. I did find a place who had a markup similar to what it would cost me to get one shipped from the mainalnd...but it looks like the dream of getting one for 31k is a little off. Waiting for the camaro wouldn't be any better though. I'm sure camaros markups will be there too. I was considering the g8 gxp for a time...but the dealership was talking about asinine markups there too.

Moral of the story is, hawaii is a horrible place to be for car fans.

Matt