Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
And it was in A: AoU, too. That's a huge indicator that I think he plays the part in the movies- why clearly establish the sound of his voice and what he looks like if they're going to surprise everyone and give the part to Neil Patrick Harris?

Watched:
Equilibrium- I hadn't seen this before. Had been meaning to watch it, then saw the BD at Best Buy for $5 last week. In short, I don't really see what the hype is. It's just not very good, with a poorly-developed world, a terrible script, and a bad central performance from Christian Bale. Oh, and the other characters are all utter idiots.

The gun katas are sort of interesting, but also kind of retarded. I would add that I was a little surprised when I looked and Kurt Wimmer wrote and directed, and not Luc Besson- it felt like his type of style over substance.

There are plenty of "cult" films I just don't get. That film, The Crow, Dazed and Confused, Donnie Darko...I could think of more but I ignored these films...finally saw them and never really got it. None are total shit...but none are "OMG-genius" pieces of art that deserve the praise they get...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
There are plenty of "cult" films I just don't get. That film, The Crow, Dazed and Confused, Donnie Darko...I could think of more but I ignored these films...finally saw them and never really got it. None are total shit...but none are "OMG-genius" pieces of art that deserve the praise they get...
Of those, I like The Crow and Donnie Darko, but I'm not crazy for either one. DD, in particular, has a really tight script and an interesting story- I don't care about the rabbit, et al, but just how everything fits together makes it pretty well done, IMO. The Crow, again, probably style over substance, but Jason Lee's performance is quite good and it's still probably the best example of a comic-type revenge story (though I'd argue that the Jane Punisher is severely underrated and does a good job, too).

Yeah, Equilibrium just didn't bring anything to the table. All the stuff says "forget the Matrix, this is going to BLOW YOUR MIND!" And then there's just kind of... nothing. It's boring. The Matrix is on a whole other level from Equilibrium.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Woman in Black 2- the first WiB is pretty good, IMO. Decent scares, story works, Daniel Radcliffe is good in it.

Then there's this. It's got atmosphere, but that is all- the story barely even makes sense, and it's all utterly boring. Oh, and the ending is terrible and makes zero sense, as well.

Terrible movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Reading reviews for movies like Equilibrium before watching them is a good way to be disappointed. I mean, in what way would you compare The Matrix to Equilibrium? Costumes? Everything else was different. The atmosphere was different. The fighting was wayyyyy different. Action in Equilibrium was visceral. In the Matrix the action was premature.

So then, what was the problem with Equilibrium? That it wasn't as much like the Matrix as you thought it would be? Well, sounds like you robbed yourself of a good experience through ignorant assumptions and the advice of idiots.

The Crow was excellent and fun. If someone says they didn't enjoy it, I have no choice but to laugh, because really, what does that person enjoy? That's like the person who can't enjoy vaginal sex anymore because anal has twisted his mind. I feel so bad for that person.

Donnie Darko was fun too. Lots of fun, and an interesting approach in the science fiction genre that was very different for a movie in 2001. It's a period piece that was very loyal to the 1980s. I don't know what someone would want from Donnie Darko that it didn't deliver. Maybe if no one else watched it, and you were the only person who knew about it, then you could enjoy it. Kind of like that girl in highschool who gave everyone blowjobs, and you knew she was cute, and if she sucked only you off, and no one else, you would have maybe asked her to go steady with you, but everyone had a go, and for that you scorned her. Worse than that, you didn't get a blowjob. In your mind, you were too good for her fellatio. Yet in reality, you robbed yourself of living.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Avengers: Age of Ultron-exactly what I expected it to be. I still enjoy Chris Evans as Captain America and he's the best in the role he's playing out of any of them. Downey Jr. is the star of the franchise but Evans outshines him at every turn imo

Paul Bettany is a fantastic cast as the Vision. He brings a gentle grace to the role that just works for me.

If you like the Marvel movies, you'll like this one. If you don't like the Marvel movies, skip it.

Guardians is still pretty overrated IMO, though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Avengers: Age of Ultron-exactly what I expected it to be. I still enjoy Chris Evans as Captain America and he's the best in the role he's playing out of any of them. Downey Jr. is the star of the franchise but Evans outshines him at every turn imo

Paul Bettany is a fantastic cast as the Vision. He brings a gentle grace to the role that just works for me.

If you like the Marvel movies, you'll like this one. If you don't like the Marvel movies, skip it.

Maybe Guardians is the Marvel movie for people who don't like the Marvel movies. Because I had a lot of fun watching it.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Equilibrium

The gun katas are sort of interesting, but also kind of retarded.

The idea of gun 'katas' caught my attention. I looked the scenes up on YT... I should have known it was going to be something incredibly corny that perhaps my 16 YO self would be ecstatic over... Not going to see the film!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Maybe Guardians is the Marvel movie for people who don't like the Marvel movies. Because I had a lot of fun watching it.

I saw this one and enjoyed it, but I did not think it was as satisfying entertainment as perhaps the X-Men trilogy or Iron Man 1 was - that's where it seems my Marvel interest was at its highest. Guaridans got SO much hype, as did the original Avengers... both were good... but just good popcorn flicks, nothing to write home about IMO. I suppose I don't know what I was really expecting, anyway. I think in the films I mentioned, the initial performances of Robert Downey Jr. and Ian Mckellen were exciting to me, yet now it all seems a bit played out. I haven't gotten around to seeing Age of Ultron yet, but an excuse to give it a chance is bound to come up - I do enjoy making a night out of going to the movies.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Equilibrium

The gun katas are sort of interesting, but also kind of retarded.

The idea of gun 'katas' caught my attention. I looked the scenes up on YT... I should have known it was going to be something incredibly corny that perhaps my 16 YO self would be ecstatic over... Not going to see the film!

The only gunkata scene that I thought looked cool was the dark room one.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
Anyone else here experiencing super hero movie fatigue? I enjoyed the dark knight as much as anybody, but the constant installments of somewhat "decent" films are starting to get on my nerves. I recently watched Life Itself. It was a pretty good movie and I'd recommend anyone with Netflix check it out.

Edit: Jesus, I just realized I bitched about superhero movies in this thread four days ago. Maybe a batman and Robinesque film is what we need to stop the anal leakage of mediocre superhero films.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Reading reviews for movies like Equilibrium before watching them is a good way to be disappointed. I mean, in what way would you compare The Matrix to Equilibrium? Costumes? Everything else was different. The atmosphere was different. The fighting was wayyyyy different. Action in Equilibrium was visceral. In the Matrix the action was premature.

So then, what was the problem with Equilibrium? That it wasn't as much like the Matrix as you thought it would be? Well, sounds like you robbed yourself of a good experience through ignorant assumptions and the advice of idiots.

The Crow was excellent and fun. If someone says they didn't enjoy it, I have no choice but to laugh, because really, what does that person enjoy? That's like the person who can't enjoy vaginal sex anymore because anal has twisted his mind. I feel so bad for that person.

Donnie Darko was fun too. Lots of fun, and an interesting approach in the science fiction genre that was very different for a movie in 2001. It's a period piece that was very loyal to the 1980s. I don't know what someone would want from Donnie Darko that it didn't deliver. Maybe if no one else watched it, and you were the only person who knew about it, then you could enjoy it. Kind of like that girl in highschool who gave everyone blowjobs, and you knew she was cute, and if she sucked only you off, and no one else, you would have maybe asked her to go steady with you, but everyone had a go, and for that you scorned her. Worse than that, you didn't get a blowjob. In your mind, you were too good for her fellatio. Yet in reality, you robbed yourself of living.
I left the whole quote in because the Donnie Darko/bj part should be memorialized, in particular.

Re: Equilibrium- the back of the box compares it to The Matrix. I agree that it's not a good comparison (Dark City is much more similar to The Matrix, for one), but I didn't care for it for other reasons- it's boring, the characters are bad, and the world is poorly developed. I'd also argue that the script is shit in general. Just my opinions, though, and I do see your point about heightened expectations making it harder to appreciate.

Edit: Jesus, I just realized I bitched about superhero movies in this thread four days ago. Maybe a batman and Robinesque film is what we need to stop the anal leakage of mediocre superhero films.
Hey, DC have you covered! Their rule is no jokes. That aside, I'm cautiously optimistic that Dawn of Justice will be good, but I also have much less faith in Zach Snyder than I did Christopher Nolan (and DNR sucked).

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
Equilibrium came out the same year as Gungrave, and if you enjoyed that game then most likely you would have enjoyed the gunkata in Equilibrium.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I saw "The Sentinel" (2006) last night... it was very meh. The movie tries to pull all the strings to build up suspense but fails all the way - lots of "suspense" music, shootouts, chase scenes, but you never feel engaged - the characters are super flat, the plot is predictable but has many holes/is unrealistic while trying to establish a realistic environment. You don't get the opportunity to think along with the developments or figure out who the bad guys are and why they act as they do and what their next move will be (they even lack any kind of motive to kill the president except money and being ex-KGB). EVERYTHING is mediocre in this movie.

I'd say skip it and watch a good movie with (younger) Michael Douglas instead (like "Star Chamber" (1983), if you want a thriller).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Not sure if this was directed at me...but if it was...

Concerning the three in questions (Crow, Donnie, Equilibrium)...I found them all to be mildly entertaining. I would never call any of them failures. I just don't get the heavy cult following. Rocky Horror is another I simply do not get. It's ok to watch...but it was a "1 and done" for me.

I have my own guilty pleasures...Army of Darkness, Ice Pirates, West World, and Fight Club are a few films I have unhealthy obsessions with, so "to each his own" I guess.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

I rewatched Scott Pilgrim a couple days ago and I thought to myself, "hearing Captain America talk about getting high in the back of his car and getting the homies food is cool and a wtf moment"

Also I enjoyed Avengers: AoU and it got me interested in seeing Ant-Man which I originally was going to skip as I don't care about Pym or Lang but I'm hella hyped for Cap: Civil War

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

It's been a long time since I was completely captivated by a movie from beginning to end, this was such a ridiculously well executed film in every regard, and I think I have a slight man crush on Benedict Cumberbatch :emb:

5/5

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ex-Machina

Absolutely fantastic. Smart, gorgeous and great performances. Perfect pacing, phenomenal photography, a score that heightens everything. Really just top notch film making.

Glad that it actually got a wide release in this country. Shame to see something like this playing next to Paul Blart 2 and Get Hard.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ex-Machina

Absolutely fantastic. Smart, gorgeous and great performances. Perfect pacing, phenomenal photography, a score that heightens everything. Really just top notch film making.

Glad that it actually got a wide release in this country. Shame to see something like this playing next to Paul Blart 2 and Get Hard.

Want to see…WILL see…very excited about that film...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
See it in theaters while you can. There were like 6 other people in the theater this afternoon.

It'll look great on BD but it's such a clean and stunning looking movie that the big screen is ideal.

The only other movies I've seen in the last couple years that got a wide release and can compare are Drive, The Raid/2 and Dredd.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

It's been a long time since I was completely captivated by a movie from beginning to end, this was such a ridiculously well executed film in every regard, and I think I have a slight man crush on Benedict Cumberbatch :emb:

5/5
Watch the BBC mini series if you can (and the sequels). It's also excellent and the story benefits from the longer runtime. What's kind of funny is that Oldman's performance in the movie seems to be based more on Alec Guiness' performance in the BBC mini series than on the original character from the novels.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Just watched the new Arnie zombie movie "Maggie".

Terrible, boring, melodramatic trash.

Should have known better.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just watched the new Arnie zombie movie "Maggie".

Terrible, boring, melodramatic trash.

Should have known better.

This movie was the ultimate bait and switch. It looked like it would be The Last of Us. It was like Degrassi with a zombie.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This movie was the ultimate bait and switch. It looked like it would be The Last of Us. It was like Degrassi with a zombie.

This is a great post. Everyone take notice.

I'm qualified to judge these things and I can confirm it.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
See it in theaters while you can. There were like 6 other people in the theater this afternoon.

It'll look great on BD but it's such a clean and stunning looking movie that the big screen is ideal.

The only other movies I've seen in the last couple years that got a wide release and can compare are Drive, The Raid/2 and Dredd.
Glad to hear this I really wanna grab a chance to see Ex Machina in Theaters, Any chance you saw MADMAX Road Fury? or any one ?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Glad to hear this I really wanna grab a chance to see Ex Machina in Theaters, Any chance you saw MADMAX Road Fury? or any one ?

it will be released this week.

really though, are you just trying to unlock market privs?