Samurai Shodown Sen US release - March 30

Dizzy11523

Camel Slug
15 Year Member
I like the game. And for me, I haven't been blown away by any graphics since Soul Caliber on the DC.

I did like the graphics on KOF XII a lot though.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Everything is wrong and terrible about this game.

EVERYTHING.

The Hyper games are STILL better than Sen. :oh_no:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
quoting the review
With or without Samurai Shodown name, Sen is a joyless effort, and neither it honours it called-for lineage, neither it brings anything of substational worth to the 3D fightings. Despite its penchant for dismemberments and decapitations, this one just doesnt cut it

This pretty much sums it up: HNG64 games were better at being "samsho games with 3D models" (having 2.5D gameplay), while Namco games remain better at being full 3D fighting games; and both HNG64 and Namco games exceed Sen's content and movelists in quality. Every second reviewer says Sen has no niche in current video game market.

bwi

20 Year Member
I read the gamecentral (uk site) review and they gave it 3/10 and said it was a disgrace to the name and stick to SS2 on XBLA.

I immediately cancelled my preorder to only find that they have delayed it another week in the UK

Bri

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
i'ma pick it up a lil bit later. IGN gave it a 4.0 they got some peepz on youtube given it props :idunno:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I read the gamecentral (uk site) review and they gave it 3/10 and said it was a disgrace to the name and stick to SS2 on XBLA.

I immediately cancelled my preorder to only find that they have delayed it another week in the UK

Bri

Wouldn't everything import by airmail be delayed in UK at this point?

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Somewhat detailed description of game's problems from SRK

Razma said:
I have the pleasure of owning this less than fantastic game. I really feel like a few small changes to the way the game was designed would have fixed many of the problems.

- Characters and weapons have no weight. There is no way that Wan-Fu or Walter should move as fast as they do. If a character has a large weapon, they shouldn't be able to swing it around effortlessly like Garros.
- Recovery from moves shouldn't be almost instant. It doesn't matter how difficult the move is to perform, I can snap back to blocking almost instantly after a move. It really makes the risk minimal for the move purely dependent on the start-up. On that note...
- Over half the movelist is useless. Why use a move that does great damage when you can use a fast move that beats out the majority of the moves in the game? More balance between start-up and recovery would have made this much better.
- Animations are bad. There are many times you'll see larger characters crouch and it doesn't look like it. There have been times when I'll horizontal slash right through the character model of a rolling Garros or Golba. It also makes things difficult for the high/low game as you can't tell when the enemy is going for a low attack half the time.
- Wake up game is terrible. You're totally vulnerable when you quick rise. This isn't the bad thing. The worse thing is that 9 times out of 10, you'll be left facing backwards and taking a good chunk of your life off because you hit a button when you landed.
- Draco. Whoever thought it was a good idea to give a character a ton of almost instant unblockable attacks was out of their mind. I mean, the character gives tons of tells to sidestep, but even then, you can't always sidestep in time. Why on earth does he have an 8 hit unblockable juggle is beyond me.

There are plenty of things this game did right. Love the art style, the new characters, and the way they moved characters to this new 3D style. Galford plays like Galford, Ukyo plays like Ukyo.

If a sequel is made, I hope they change the suck and give more great.

What do you think?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm yet to play the game, and I can't judge the gameplay and controls, but I don't see why people hate on the game's art direction. I pretty much like the 3D models, backgrounds, and new character designs. I think the in-game arts are great too.

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
I've been playing the practice mode getting use to the game play.overall its not bad at all. i got my 360 hooked up via vga on my samsung lcd so its running at 1360x768. the visuals is nice not quite sexy like SC4 or SF4 but like I said its nice! I could see myself playing the story mode atleast for a couple of days before I go on the xbl.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Why was anyone thinking this was gonna be good? The arcade version was universally hated, why did you think the ports were gonna be any better?

The only thing i like about it is the art and the fact its in HD, that's it.

This inst a Samurai Shodown game, it shouldn't even have the name Samurai Shodown.

Hopefully SNKP will come to there senses and release another 2D one instead or at least give us Last Blade 3. But i doubt it.

Yao

Quiz Detective
Why was anyone thinking this was gonna be good? The arcade version was universally hated, why did you think the ports were gonna be any better?

The only thing i like about it is the art and the fact its in HD, that's it.

This inst a Samurai Shodown game, it shouldn't even have the name Samurai Shodown.

Hopefully SNKP will come to there senses and release another 2D one instead or at least give us Last Blade 3. But i doubt it.

I feel exactly the same way about the game. How could they ever think that people who love the other Samurai Shodown titles would enjoy this one!? This is so not Samurai Shodown to me...
I hope they'll make another brilliant SS 2D game, with excellent gameplay and anime-like graphics.
I just hope they leave Last Blade alone forever. These two games are perfect and it should stay that way.

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
tsk,tsk most of the original characters have their same specials its just formated differently...i've been playing this series since back in '93 its still samsho!!1!

Last edited:

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Videos do not do this game justice. It is the worst fighting game I have played in a long time. I was prepared for the lousy graphics and story but the game play is just garbage.

It reminds me of Battle Arena Toshinden, only worse. It really feels like a 1st generation 3d fighter.

- The characters have no weight to them. Wanfu glides around like a speed char
- story mode is shit, one generic cutscene and a text ending
- Online is already dead. I was able to find only one other person playing in primetime.
- animations and gameplay in general is very stiff

I wish they would have locked the action into 2.5d. The side step is clunky and jumping is pretty useless

I knew it wasn't going to be a great game based off the vids and early reviews but you just can't grasp how shitty until you play it.

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
lol, i concur on somethings but i figure the 360 controller could be culprit.i did the research of this game and i bought it with an open mind.idk me and my friends get a kick out of it along with my daughter.it is what it is.online is dead on all snk games idky.i choose to support it as i did KOFXII.

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
From what I've read, this game is 110 flavors of custard shit. Is there any reason to buy this in light of alternatives such as, oh dunno, SC IV?

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ82I18pmh0
This says alot about game's engine. Big fat Wan-fu with hefty sword against Charlotte player. Charlotte excels in qucik safe pokes in all games. Guess what? In Sen Wan-fu easily punishes blocked quick poke of Charlotte with some big wide swings of his hefty sword...and these dont get blocked. In fact speed of Wan-fu's attacks outmatches Charlotte...and he also is able to jump/fly around the screen like a leaf in the wind.

And guess what, because he has a hefty sword, he can dish 40% of Charlotte's life while punishing blocked Charlotte's poke which would dish like 5% of life upon connection.

Moreso, Sen has NO CHIP DAMAGE, which makes the muti-hit moves (mainly chip damage dealers in all the previous games) useless outside juggle combos. This goes for Charlotte's Splash Fount, Ukyo's Snowfall, Jubei's Eight Aspects Blast etc. So if opponent has 1 inch of life left, having those moves wont help you at all.

If you finish watching this video and realise the most braindead way needed to defeat Wan-fu, you will instantly become enlightened, lol.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ82I18pmh0
This says alot about game's engine. Big fat Wan-fu with hefty sword against Charlotte player. Charlotte excels in qucik safe pokes in all games. Guess what? In Sen Wan-fu easily punishes blocked quick poke of Charlotte with some big wide swings of his hefty sword...and these dont get blocked. In fact speed of Wan-fu's attacks outmatches Charlotte...and he also is able to jump/fly around the screen like a leaf in the wind.

And guess what, because he has a hefty sword, he can dish 40% of Charlotte's life while punishing blocked Charlotte's poke which would dish like 5% of life upon connection.

Moreso, Sen has NO CHIP DAMAGE, which makes the muti-hit moves (mainly chip damage dealers in all the previous games) useless outside juggle combos. This goes for Charlotte's Splash Fount, Ukyo's Snowfall, Jubei's Eight Aspects Blast etc. So if opponent has 1 inch of life left, having those moves wont help you at all.

If you finish watching this video and realise the most braindead way needed to defeat Wan-fu, you will instantly become enlightened, lol.

Not to defend the game, but that was a CPU fight. SS2's CPU was cruel / unfair too. Also, just because the game plays differently, or have a different balance, doesn't automatically label the gameplay "broken". (I know the game might still have major gameplay issues though)

Last edited:

ShiWarrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
im slowly comming back to the Neo Geo scene, do they do these games on any UK consoles? or are they US and JAP only?

if so, then i might have to buy a Jap Xbox or something?