Samurai Shodown Sen US release - March 30

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I dunno, visuals look alright to me.

That's kind of the point. They're just "all right." They're not up to par with what the 360 or the PS3 can actually do, especially with a game as limited in visual scope as a versus fighter.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
That's kind of the point. They're just "all right." They're not up to par with what the 360 or the PS3 can actually do, especially with a game as limited in visual scope as a versus fighter.

True, but has a fighter ever really pushed the boundaries of the visual department for console? I think much more could be done with the backgrounds, but again I think they're passable. SF4 is pretty, but by no means are they mindblowing visuals.

Obviously gameplay is more important and not having played it I can't make a true judgment.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
True, but has a fighter ever really pushed the boundaries of the visual department for console?

Obviously gameplay is more important and not having played it I can't make a true judgment.

I agree gameplay is #1 of course but I would also say my mind was pretty blown in regards to visuals when Soul Calibur came out on Dreamcast...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'd pick this up just because it's a new SS if it was ported to PC...

Last edited:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I agree gameplay is #1 of course but I would also say my mind was pretty blown in regards to visuals when Soul Calibur came out on Dreamcast...

Yes, and that was pretty much the only time. And Soul Calibur came out over 10 years ago. What makes Street Fighter IV so impressive visually are its facial expressions and just the overall look being very close to that of a 2D fighter. The feel too; no other poly "2.5D" fighter felt as close to a sprite-based fighter as SF4 did when it first came out.

Last edited:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
I'd pick this up just because it's a new SS if it was ported to PC...

Actually look TaitoX2 thread. This game cannot be "ported" because it was developed for PC hardware to begin with, and it runs on PC via loader which bypasses its encryption.

Clessy

Banned

Soul Calibur on DC is system pushing.
Virtual Fighter 4 on PS2
Virtual Fighter 5 360/ps3
Soul Calibur 4 ps3/360

Those all have mind blow visuals for there time.

SC4 is still one of the best looking games made.

NotoriousReignz

Morden's Lackey
When it first came out I was blown away by VF 4, and I thought Evolution looked even a little better.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Actually look TaitoX2 thread. This game cannot be "ported" because it was developed for PC hardware to begin with, and it runs on PC via loader which bypasses its encryption.

Trifles! ... you know what I mean haha - I should have said - 'commercially released.'

Also as far as graphics pushing fighting games - can't forget to mention The Last Blade! Right?

Outkast99

Banned
I think Soul Calibur 4 looks really, really good. I wish Sen came even close to that.

I think the graphics really let the game down. To me, SS is about atmosphere, and those graphics didn't bring it all. There is no charm to them. I even say, it is not as good as SC2 or 3 on PS2 (especially in the animation department).

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
If Sen was released at the same time with SC1 though, which game people would buy first? Something tells me that not Sen.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If Sen were released in '98 before SNK went bankrupt, things might turn out differently than the way it is.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If Sen were released in '98 before SNK went bankrupt, things might turn out differently than the way it is.

That's when they released their Hyper64 Samurai Shodown titles, and they looked like fucking N64 games. That was the best they could do at the time, and it wasn't nearly good enough for anyone to take seriously.

Compared to the Hyper64 SS games, I think SNKP has at least closed the gap partially between what they are capable of and what is the lowest level of 3D graphical quality that current gamers will accept. SS Sen looks... almost good. But the SS64 games were nowhere near the visual quality level of their competitors.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
I suppose SNK/P likes to go for the "old school feel" in graphics :P

I repost one of my Gamefaqs posts, because I think some people may be interested

I'm having trouble figuring out where the Lesphia Kingdom came from. Since Golba wants to use the Lesphian army to take over the whole world, I would imagine that Lesphia would be a large or powerful enough kingdom that it would've been mentioned in another game before, so why is this the first that we're hearing of Lesphia.

Lesphia was introduced in Sen only. Its supposed to be located in Europe, but Golba is a veteran of American War of Independence, thats why his arena and army are located in USA. Golba first weakened countries around the world with various exploits, and then aimed to conquer them, but he needed Suzuhime's sword as symbol of Lesphia's ruler (to become one), thus hunt for Suzuhime. He is also her uncle and the one who killed her parents but you probably know that already.

Theres a list of events regarding Sen, which can be found here:
http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~latel/samurai/sennenpyo.html

And also summary regarding Golba's actions around the world:
http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~latel/samurai/goruba.html

To put short, it says that Lesphia kingdom is a small country in Europe, which faces the sea. Since Golba's brother became the prince chosen to be the future ruler (apparently the king - their father - was still alive then), Golba tried to make a coup d'etat, but it failed. Instead of being executed he was exiled from country, hence he came to America and became an officer in american army. During that time he managed to gather some amount of people under his command and also formed an assassin organisation of which Angelica is a member. Next Golba assaults brother and his wife (Suzuhime's parents) during their sea voyage which leads into the events of Sen. Golba retreats back to USA after failing to obtain Suzuhime's sword (without which he cannot rule Lesphia). As he also wanted a strong military commander for the Lesphia nation, he also wanted to lure some strong warriors and so arranged most of events mentioned in Sen's characters storyline intros. During that time he also weakened countries around the world using his military connections and various tricks.

Golba's objective is to protect Lesphia, then supply it with military power and then conquer the Europe. This is because his participation in American War of Independence made him believe that creation of such powerful nation can become a menace to Europe. Golba does not pay much attention to Asian region since Europe is his main interest.

(The japanese author also states that he thinks putting such boss as Golba in SS series which have many japanese characters is a glaring mismatch)

Sen's storyline is pretty much seperate from the other games, so no. It also takes place during the same time period as The Last Blade, so all the characters jumped ahead a half century or so!

Timeline goes like that:

Main one: SS1-SS3-SS4-SS2-SS64-SSAZ-(skip 20 years forward)-Shinsho(PSX game)
SNKP one:
-Insert SS5 before SS1
-SS6 is alternate universe based on SS1-2-3-4-5 events
-Insert Sen shortly after SSAZ. Sen is not connected to either storyline aside of miscellaneous things (Kazuki already being separated from his clan, Sogetsu aiming on being his clan leader, Ukyo already witnessing Kei marrying other man, etc)

So basically
1786 - SS5
1788 - SS1, then SS3, then SS4
1789 - SS2
1789~1790 - SS64
1790 - SSAZ
1791 - Sen
1811 - Shinsho (PSX game)
1863 - Last Blade
1863 - Last Blade 2

Thus we see that Sen and Last Blade games are not exactly located in same time period.

Isn't J supposed to be Lesphian?

Suzuhime, Claude, J and Golba are Lesphians storyline-wise.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's when they released their Hyper64 Samurai Shodown titles, and they looked like fucking N64 games. That was the best they could do at the time, and it wasn't nearly good enough for anyone to take seriously.

Both Sam Sho 64 and Virtua Fighter 3 were released at '97, but VF3 was alot more worse looking than Sam Sho 64. SC came out in '98 after both of them, so it had to look way better than either of them or fail.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Both Sam Sho 64 and Virtua Fighter 3 were released at '97, but VF3 was alot more worse looking than Sam Sho 64.

I hope you aren't planning on operating any heavy machinery because you are fucking high.

partypooper

Not so MEGA, eh?
I hope you aren't planning on operating any heavy machinery because you are fucking high.

you dont agree? thats like saying you dont agree that mk4 looked better than vf4. i mean come on now. everyone knows mk4 has yet to be topped.

Anyone want to play online?

I tried online and couldnt find anyone, my GT is the same as my username here

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

You don't need to be high to be able to count the number of polygons in VF3 with just your fingers, not even counting the BG since they all look like they're miles away from the arena. And apparently the developers of VF3 made a bar bet to make the game in 12 colors or less. XD

Last edited:
You don't need to be high to be able to count the number of polygons in VF3 with just your fingers, not even counting the BG since they all look like they're miles away from the arena. And apparently the developers of VF3 made a bar bet to make the game in 12 colors or less. XD

Was VF3 the one where the characters heads looked like Quartz crystal?

Clessy

Banned
Was VF3 the one where the characters heads looked like Quartz crystal?

vf3 is the one where they ruined the gameplay and somehow made the graphics look worse than 2 yet, still better looking than ss64 which is pure ass visually.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They need to keep their fighters in the same format as KOFXII. These 3D fighters are pretty horrible and SNK just really don't do a good job making them.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I can't believe people think VF3 looked bad. I must be missing out on some kinda sarcastic joke here. vf3 looks worse than samurai showdown 64....LOL you guys

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
idk, after watching the trailers...i'll still give it a shot since i'm a fanboi.