KoF XIII Port this Winter

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Mine arrived and I like it. It's a fun game. But it only takes about fifteen minutes for me to really be reminded of the difference between the modern play style of fighters and older play style, and why I prefer the old. I'm sure I've talked about this before, but here it is again:

The old fighters from the first half of the 1990s were about out-thinking and outguessing your opponent using mostly a shared set of tools. Yeah, you had to be able to pull off a Power Geyser or Raising Storm at will, but it was more about getting in the mind of your opponent and anticipating them.

Fighters today are all about input command and not dropping combos. More about finger muscle memory than mind. Rushdown, rushdown, rushdown until you get an opening and then try not to drop the combo that will take more than half the bar in one swoop of near-endless juggling.

Fine. I can still have fun with it. But it's a different kind of game.

When I first saw KOF12's moves list, I thought that was the approach they were gonna take. I kinda had mixed feelings about it. I certainly miss the old play style, but I also wasn't sure I wanted to see it implemented in KOF.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I've gotta say, I'm really digging KOF XIII so far! I haven't been this enamored with a KOF since '98! The controls feel great and the game just looks amazing. I just wish they had gone with the "dream match" scenario again and ditched Ash in favor of Rugal.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
haha indeed on the ash thing, the whole story line is fucking ridiculous. I know fighter stories are never great, but seriously, this storyline has both a ancient god who will destroy the world AND time travel!

But who cares in the end when the rest of the game is awesome. I just kinda like the more grounded bosses like geese and rugal as opposed to the magical gods and shit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
haha indeed on the ash thing, the whole story line is fucking ridiculous.
This story is actually pretty lucid compared even to previous KOF "sagas". The Orochi "saga" everyone always seems to be on the nuts of is just as ridiculous if not even more stupid than this one.

Michael Yagami

This story is actually pretty lucid compared even to previous KOF "sagas". The Orochi "saga" everyone always seems to be on the nuts of is just as ridiculous if not even more stupid than this one.
Every fighting game story is ridiculous, no matter the franchise. The Ash Crimson character is just aesthetically terrible. Which is why I wish he wasn't there.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Mine arrived and I like it. It's a fun game. But it only takes about fifteen minutes for me to really be reminded of the difference between the modern play style of fighters and older play style, and why I prefer the old. I'm sure I've talked about this before, but here it is again:

The old fighters from the first half of the 1990s were about out-thinking and outguessing your opponent using mostly a shared set of tools. Yeah, you had to be able to pull off a Power Geyser or Raising Storm at will, but it was more about getting in the mind of your opponent and anticipating them.

Fighters today are all about input command and not dropping combos. More about finger muscle memory than mind. Rushdown, rushdown, rushdown until you get an opening and then try not to drop the combo that will take more than half the bar in one swoop of near-endless juggling.

Fine. I can still have fun with it. But it's a different kind of game.

Not at all. If you think being inside your opponent's head in modern fighters doesn't exist (even to the degree of older fighters), think again. The older fighters also allowed for serious rushdown and required you to not drop combos (which were even harder, because they didn't allow for the leniency that newer games have). Mind games are in modern fighters, if you allow yourself the opportunity to dig into them with other friends.

Somebody said it in another thread, and I completely agree - KOF13 reminds me a lot of Fatal Fury Special, in overall feel of the game. The older KOFs were really, really strict when it came to timing, and while this one loosens up a bit, it doesn't go overboard like the newer games do. It has a very Fatal Fury groove to it.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Not at all. If you think being inside your opponent's head in modern fighters doesn't exist (even to the degree of older fighters), think again. The older fighters also allowed for serious rushdown and required you to not drop combos (which were even harder, because they didn't allow for the leniency that newer games have). Mind games are in modern fighters, if you allow yourself the opportunity to dig into them with other friends.

Somebody said it in another thread, and I completely agree - KOF13 reminds me a lot of Fatal Fury Special, in overall feel of the game. The older KOFs were really, really strict when it came to timing, and while this one loosens up a bit, it doesn't go overboard like the newer games do. It has a very Fatal Fury groove to it.

THIS.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I tried to list all the cameos. Here is what I found so far. I'm also planning to make a thread with all the references of other SNK games in this games (stages origins, ripping female cloths ... etc):

Japan:

Nakoruru - Middle left, standing next to the lion statue
Hinako - middle right
Shingo - Left side
Todoh - Left side, On top of the gate

Egypt:

Marco - left side
Fiona - right side, on top of the snake statue
Mars people - middle left, under the snake statue in the far back

India:

Cheng Senzan - middle, among the crowd. Holding a sparkling thing?
Chang: middle right, among the crowds

London:

Yamazaki poster - middle right, posted on a bus
B. Jenet - middle left, on a bus
Chris - right side, peeking from behind a bus

China:

Xiangfei - middle left, rooftop of a building
Tung - right side, sleeping behind the guy with the big masks

Brazil:

Butt - right side
Chamcham - middle left
Tizoc - middle right, behind the crowd

Ruins:

Charlot - left side
Kain, Kaede - middle right

France:

Seth, Venessa, Ramon - right side
Shermie - left side

USA:

Duck's chick - wandering on the half left of the screen
Galford - right side, hanging on a metal structure
Mr. Big ad on a flying ballon

Stadium:

(none spotted)

Stadium rooftop stage:

Hanzo (Samurai Showdown) - left side

Billy's Stage:

Lilly Kane - left side
Krauser, Lawrence, Axel - mid screen

Dojo:

Butt
Hayate - mid screen
Kasumi - peeking from the window on the right
Eiji - peeking from the upper left corner of the window on the right (above where Kasumi is, hard to see)

Alley:

Mr. Big, Karman Cole - middle
Jack (AoF) - on a poster, middle right

Desert stage:

Wang Koh-san - left side

PaoPao Cafe:

Richard - middle left, playing on a drum
Bao - right side, popping up above the trees (Thanks Lee Gray)

Sky Noah stage:

Adelheid, Rose

Boss Saiki stage:

(none spotted)

Dark Ash stage:

(none spotted)

Esaka:

Haohmaru - left side

Mr. Karate's Liar:

Shiki, Moriya

Iori 95 stage:

Lucky, Heavy D & Brian
Candy Diamond (?)

Edit: Added Esaka, Mr. Karate's Lair and Iori's 95 stage (thanks to Redblaze27, Running Wild and KellyNUTS from Atlus forums)

Based on a google search, the 2 cameos in the Japanese stage that I didn't recognize were Nakoruru and Todoh. I also read Lin was in the Chinese stage.

Edit 2: Another blog update with 100%'s lol: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/12/kof13_1.html

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
got it today.did a few matches and had to leave.tonight i'll be online with KOF 13,i'm sure my Hong Kong neighours will destroy me :mr_t:
also theres a code on my copy for Iori Flames.Neat!

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
I think the Duck is a cool touch,. Every time i play it, i notice something different in the background.. i like the dog too that barks when you get too close.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Many of these cameos are in the Story Mode cutscenes/ endings too.

Would love to see some of these characters be patched in.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Every fighting game story is ridiculous, no matter the franchise.

I've never agreed with this sentiment, and no offense to you but I think it's just trendy for people to say that. To me fighting games stories are no better or worse than RPG storylines that everybody claims to be so deep and engrossing.

I tried to list all the cameos. Here is what I found so far. I'm also planning to make a thread with all the references of other SNK games in this games (stages origins, ripping female cloths ... etc):
I'm glad you brought this up. Me and my pals have been looking through all of the stages and trying to see who we can find. I thought that I found all of them but clearly I missed a bunch. Thanks!

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
those 100% combos are very cool, at least the ones that didn't depend on near impossible set ups. Shen Woo's seemed really easy.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Kind of a partial derailment here, but how well has this been selling so far?

Some website said around 70k 360 copies and a little under 60k ps3 copies....however, the admins at the atlus forums are saying they are selling nothing close to those figures.

Could they be playing coy?
Is SNKP breaking even by now? Are they still in the red or well ahead?

Not sure what to believe or how to interpret the information even if it's true.

Any ideas?

Michael Yagami

I've never agreed with this sentiment, and no offense to you but I think it's just trendy for people to say that. To me fighting games stories are no better or worse than RPG storylines that everybody claims to be so deep and engrossing.

RPG stories are ridiculous too. Way fucking ridiculous. Most every story featured in any given videogame is almost guaranteed to be ridiculous. Besides. no one ever played a fighting game for the story alone. But, I digress.

KOF XIII is way awesome. The story is ridiculous. The game itself is fucking awesome.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
RPG stories are ridiculous too. Way fucking ridiculous. Most every story featured in any given videogame is almost guaranteed to be ridiculous. Besides. no one ever played a fighting game for the story alone. But, I digress.

Ridiculous maybe, but entertaining! I play games to be entertained, if I wanted something deep I'd read Descartes...
I bet an RPG with a REALLY deep and thought provoking story would flop pretty hard for said reason. People don't want to think hard while playing games (apart from a few hardcore fans discussing their theories about the meaning of the story).

Dizzy11523

Camel Slug
15 Year Member
Man I don't know why people hate on Ash so much. He's my favorite character provided in the roster.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Man I don't know why people hate on Ash so much. He's my favorite character provided in the roster.

Really? I dislike ash because hes this super powerfull magical weirdo who doesn't even really fight, all his animations are like him flicking his wrist like he's saying "talk to the hand" or something, and when he does it, magical shit shoots out. Never shows any effort just kinda casually strolls around acting cocky. I think K' is stupid for simillar reasons.

so why do you like him? not arguing with ya, just explaining why I think ash is lame so now you know :)

Michael Yagami

Ridiculous maybe, but entertaining! I play games to be entertained, if I wanted something deep I'd read Descartes...
I bet an RPG with a REALLY deep and thought provoking story would flop pretty hard for said reason. People don't want to think hard while playing games (apart from a few hardcore fans discussing their theories about the meaning of the story).
I'm not saying a ridiculous story is a bad thing. I'm just saying most stories found in videogames are ridiculous. That's neither a positive or a negative statement, just a statement.

Kizuna Encounter is my favorite fighter on the Neo and it's story is completely ridiculous.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member

KOF XIII is way awesome. The story is ridiculous. The game itself is fucking awesome.
I won't argue with that so long as you say it's the same for all videogame stories in general. But I admit I did and still do play fighting games for the stories...sorta.

Well for one if you grew up playin SNK games back in the early 90s it's easy to see that Ash doesn't fit in with designs that made us oldschool SNK fans fall in love with SNK in the first place. Once KOF got popular true their designs started to change a bit but Ash was a jump too far away even for the most bizarre SNK design. SNK even knows this themselves hence why the character artist and designer Falcoon is GONE and characters like Hwa Jai, Raiden and Billy Kane made a comeback.

Ash typifies everything that made SNK's fan base stop caring about them.

being that your username is "Dizzy" I would imagine that you like Anime inspired girl characters in games right? This is what was wrong with KOF and why it was killing SNK. Games like Melty Blood and Arc Systems developed games is where characters like Ash belong.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Woohah, Ash hating up in this piece.
Thank god for this forum sometimes.

Only way to salvage Ash as a character:

1.) Make him a cocky french pretty boy asshole who smokes Gauloises religiously and always has one carelessly dangling from his mouth.

2.)
Give him an acrobatic, parkour based fighting style that is augmented with that green fire of his.

3.) Wardrobe overhaul: unfag him back to 3s Remy levels of metrofaggery.
Lose the nail polish, the girl-ass in tight pants, the beehive, the hair braid, the emo sneakers, etc.

Replace that shit with straight-leg dress pants with pinstripes, dressy shoes, a form-fitting, black wool zip-up top and some fancy embroidered patterns in white on the side of it...and he can keep the long hair, just let it down and put it under a cap like THIS, but the cap would be made out of black animal fur.

And THAT is how you would design a "metro" character who doesn't make me wretch.

Until then, Ash is a horrible design.