KoF XIII Port this Winter

Dizzy11523

Camel Slug
15 Year Member
Well I don't watch anime but I can tell you why I like Ash.

It's mostly for the reasons you guys hate him. I like his cocky attitude. I think it's cool that he gives you that talk to the hand look in his animation. His personality is refreshing.

I did grow up with this SNK stuff and honestly feel he's way better then some of these old characters you speak of. Take for example the Sports Team. Or much of the World Hero roster.

But maybe I just like him cause people hate him. :lolz:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I like Ash over Benimaru just for his moveset. Ash is a lot more fun to play as, imo. I've hated Benimaru going all the way back to '94. Shitty looking design and boring to play as. And Benimaru's voice is just as irritating as Ash's.

Or much of the World Hero roster.
Hey, fuck you, now you are going too far.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I did grow up with this SNK stuff and honestly feel he's way better then some of these old characters you speak of.

Way to completely discredit your opinion on this site with one sentence.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Every fighting game story is ridiculous, no matter the franchise.

The new Mortal Kombat had a decent story mode, but in a B movie sort of way. Still, I think it's probably the most enjoyable story for a fighting this bitter old man has ever experienced.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Is there any way to access additional color edits? I noticed the default extras have some weird shit that you can't use normally.

Also, do any of the older BGMs included in the sound test actually play in game? Is the the BGM for Mr. Karate's stage a remix of the AoF1 track?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Anyone who claims they liked the Sports Team back in the day is full of shit. It's all latter-day revisionism. The only reason some people started to like them in later years is because of their kitschiness. As a funny joke. Because of how lame they were. Nobody used them in '94. And you never see '98 tournament videos with the Sports Team. Because they suck. The only people who pretend they like them are fucking hipsters who think it makes them cool to like unusual stuff. Ha ha look he's throwing basketballs at you! Yeah, that's super. Fucking sensational.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
lucky's taunt makes it all good.
they were decent in 98.
Not as effective as they should have been,
Lucky moves always seems to not connect the way I'd want them to.
94 though?
Only good thing about that was the music and the background going on there.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Is there any way to access additional color edits? I noticed the default extras have some weird shit that you can't use normally.

Also, do any of the older BGMs included in the sound test actually play in game? Is the the BGM for Mr. Karate's stage a remix of the AoF1 track?

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1503.0

For the additional tracks, switch to Mode B in the sounds options.

GunstarHeroblack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I won't argue with that so long as you say it's the same for all videogame stories in general. But I admit I did and still do play fighting games for the stories...sorta.

Well for one if you grew up playin SNK games back in the early 90s it's easy to see that Ash doesn't fit in with designs that made us oldschool SNK fans fall in love with SNK in the first place. Once KOF got popular true their designs started to change a bit but Ash was a jump too far away even for the most bizarre SNK design. SNK even knows this themselves hence why the character artist and designer Falcoon is GONE and characters like Hwa Jai, Raiden and Billy Kane made a comeback.

Ash typifies everything that made SNK's fan base stop caring about them.

being that your username is "Dizzy" I would imagine that you like Anime inspired girl characters in games right? This is what was wrong with KOF and why it was killing SNK. Games like Melty Blood and Arc Systems developed games is where characters like Ash belong.

Really? I dislike ash because hes this super powerfull magical weirdo who doesn't even really fight, all his animations are like him flicking his wrist like he's saying "talk to the hand" or something, and when he does it, magical shit shoots out. Never shows any effort just kinda casually strolls around acting cocky.

And as quoted from XcomplexzX ,this is this the very reason I have the same stance that ive had with "Ash" since his Debut , never liked the weak "confused" design and Never will, a Fireball spamming character that is Crying for a redesign.
Glad to see that SNK-P has Given their head a shake and have placed themselves back on track , Im longing to see them give us (or bring back ) a New boss with an old school style who shows a fair mix of MARTIAL ARTS CREATIVITY and supernatural power.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Im longing to see them give us (or bring back ) a New boss with an old school style who shows a fair mix of MARTIAL ARTS CREATIVITY and supernatural power.
Like Goenitz? Like Orochi? Give me a break. They were no different.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Btw guys, beat Arcade mode with Hwa, Raiden and Billy. Awesome art awaits you.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Man, this game is hella fun. Really would love to play Oswald & Rick in this engine.

As a general rule, I'm not keen on DLC.

SNKP has me hook, line, & sinker tho. They release any charas in addition to Flames Iori, & I'll bite.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Well I liked the Sports Team and as an owner of all the KOF fighters I can say with certainty that I'm not full of shit. :angry: :D

Rather stereotypical in so many ways, but they certainly didn't suck in the wrong hands. My friends and I loved to joke about how the football player reminded us of Al Bundy, especially when he would go up against King who we would rename "Darcy". Lucky Glauber was my favorite out of the bunch. Somewhat awkward moves but not a bad scrapper. I sometimes would veer off using Team China and would mix it up with Terry, Lucky & Kensou for something different.

The reasons why most people didn't play the Sports Team or many other characters in tournaments, as in most "high level play" in fighting games, is because most people tend to rely on the more easier to learn characters that produce more bang for the buck. Because winning is more important than anything else, why would any of them risk their chances on winning by using a character that does require thinking outside the box and actually having the balls to use them? Hence why I stopped participating in most tournaments after KOF '98. Because there are only so many so-called elite "Iori" or "Yashiro" players I can play against in one day before I simply get bored. But whatever.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Woohah, Ash hating up in this piece.
Thank god for this forum sometimes.

Only way to salvage Ash as a character:

1.) Make him a cocky french pretty boy asshole who smokes Gauloises religiously and always has one carelessly dangling from his mouth.

2.)
Give him an acrobatic, parkour based fighting style that is augmented with that green fire of his.

3.) Wardrobe overhaul: unfag him back to 3s Remy levels of metrofaggery.
Lose the nail polish, the girl-ass in tight pants, the beehive, the hair braid, the emo sneakers, etc.

Replace that shit with straight-leg dress pants with pinstripes, dressy shoes, a form-fitting, black wool zip-up top and some fancy embroidered patterns in white on the side of it...and he can keep the long hair, just let it down and put it under a cap like THIS, but the cap would be made out of black animal fur.

And THAT is how you would design a "metro" character who doesn't make me wretch.

Until then, Ash is a horrible design.
Good idea.

Ash reminds me of how companies nowadays worry about just the elements of what they are marketing and not the design as a whole.

SNK-P and Falcoon knew that that metro shit was real popular and pretty much just took a female design with bizarre clothes and said "lets just say it's a dude" BAM!!Here you go SNK fans, this is your new main character for KOF, I hope you like it, we did absolutely zero work on this character but this is what's trendy right now.

The weeabos fell for it cuz everything especially Anime is into this girly-man shit nowadays.

Well I don't watch anime but I can tell you why I like Ash.

It's mostly for the reasons you guys hate him. I like his cocky attitude. I think it's cool that he gives you that talk to the hand look in his animation. His personality is refreshing.

I did grow up with this SNK stuff and honestly feel he's way better then some of these old characters you speak of. Take for example the Sports Team. Or much of the World Hero roster.

But maybe I just like him cause people hate him. :lolz:

Ash fits behind the Sports Team, the entire cast of World Heroes and 2 places under Benimaru who is quite possibly the next worst design in SNK History.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
and 2 places under Benimaru who is quite possibly the next worst design in SNK History.
I see you've repressed all memory of Bao. And if you want to extend this beyond KOF, don't forget Alfred and Rick, two terrible designs in what is possibly my second favorite fighting game of all-time. Rick is a lot of fun to play as, but whoever designed him must have been sitting next to a gas leak or something. And Alfred is just a disaster.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I see you've repressed all memory of Bao. And if you want to extend this beyond KOF, don't forget Alfred and Rick, two terrible designs in what is possibly my second favorite fighting game of all-time. Rick is a lot of fun to play as, but whoever designed him must have been sitting next to a gas leak or something. And Alfred is just a disaster.

Yup I sure did and thanks for reminding me of that stupid little fucker.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I don't like the design of ash, but his gameplay in both KOF 11 and KOF 13 are awesome. I also like how human saiki plays. Saiki feels very different from the rest of the cast as far as his moves properties are concerned. I am still discovering new shit with saiki. He is a unique character. The AI boss versions of saiki and dark ash are a joke even on the hardest difficulty. They keep falling to daimon's ground pound and vice's DP+P moves over and over.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Okay, because I know you are all dying for this, here is a list of KOF characters who I like less than Ash:
(thank you, official KOF site for the list)

KYO KUSANAGI

BENIMARU NIKAIDO

GORO DAIMON fuck team Japan. Fuck Kyo, fuck Benimaru, and Daimon is kind of cool but bores me to play

RALF never liked Ralf

CHIN GENTSAI this one is close

ATHENA ASAMIYA but this one is no contest

HEAVY D!

LUCKY GLAUBER

BRIAN BATTLER

CHANG KOEHAN

CHOI BOUNGE Choi and Chang aren't bad.

RUGAL BERNSTEIN

IORI YAGAMI Yeah I went there, bitches

SAISYU KUSANAGI What's the point of this guy again?

CHIZURU KAGURA fucking soccer mom looking design BO-riiiinnnnnnnggggg

GOENITZ

YAMAZAKI One of the only Fatal Fury characters ever that I don't like

Kyo Kusanagi, Version '94

OROCHI

Kyo Kusanagi, Version '95

WHIP this one is close, but yeah, if I'm being honest.

BAO

JHUN HOON Fuck you, I don't like '99 and I don't like Jhun

KYO KUSANAGI-1

KYO KUSANAGI-2 ENOUGH KYOS, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK

KRIZALID tradition of lame bosses in KOF continues...

SETH

HINAKO

ZERO

K9999

RON

ZERO(THE ORIGINAL)

KUSANAGI(CLONED KYO)

IGNIZ

SHEN WOO Yes, I like Shen less than Ash

MALIN

MAKI KAGURA fucking soccer mom clone. Great idea.

ADELHEID if I hate Rugal, teenage emo Rugal is even worse

MUKAI

SHION

MAGAKI

BOTAN

MOMOKO worst in series? Momoko is worse than Bao by a mile, imo.

That's 43 characters I like less than Ash, and that's without counting Max Impact or the Gameboy games. So out of about 100 KOF characters in the main series, Ash places not much below the halfway mark for me. Yeah, some of them are the lame boss characters (and every KOF boss did make the list), but that is still not horrible.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Ash is an interesting character to me.

In 1994->1998, Kyo was a very typical 'juvenile delinquent anti-hero' starring. He was supposed to be a "always pissed off cool, blunt character". Very conventional for those years, but lovely.

In 1999, K' was waaaaay darker. He's more like an outcast, or a renegade. But way beyond the 'pissed off' attitude, he does not give a damn. He's a half-victim of a grim, un-chosen fate.

In 2003, Ash turned all those clique upside-down. He seems a light-hearted character, but in truth he's the most dramatic and sad of the three. He copes with his inner sadness and despair wearing a frolicking mask.

Ash is really a nihilist, disillusioned and post-moder starring.

BTW, yes: Momoko is a series worst. Ever. Bao is way way way better then here.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The reasons why most people didn't play the Sports Team or many other characters in tournaments, as in most "high level play" in fighting games, is because most people tend to rely on the more easier to learn characters that produce more bang for the buck.

I think the main reason the sports team saw no play back in the day was because nobody wanted to waste a quarter to even try them. People are into them now because they have an MVS/AES/Rom setup so they can now explore characters in the game without wasting quarters.