Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Amen. I've always wanted one, but can't justify the premium on carts. I wouldn't mind having the system though, even if it's mostly just for collection's sake. I prefer MVS anyway, but I'd still like an AES one day anyway, and having this has only made me want one more, like you said.

Get an AES with an MVS converter, that way you don't have to refresh your whole collection, you can just replace them slowly over time if you really wanted to, or not at all if you didn't.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I am quite happy with it, I didnt even see the HDMI cable at first in the box and the screen was all jumpy and blurry and was going to give up playing it on the TV but once those cables were in it was much smoother and enjoyable, the controller is pretty comfortable to use too.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
What lukemorse1 thinks,i think he had expectations to high for this clone.

:lolz: Perhaps we should mod the X by slapping it into one of those classy, high quality Tiger Game.Com shells? :-P

..wait wait.. "I think you can get a real neo geo for about $200 bucks" really dude? And what about that slug cart? :rolleyes:

No problem! Cool project - I saw you mention it in here someplace but hadn't seen that thread yet. I will be watching to see what comes of it :) So far I think my favorite thing about this is the stick, at least now that I know it'll work on my PC.

Totally! Also I appreciate that the system convinced me to try out Baseball Stars 2, I couldn't ever understand what all the hype was about, but this game is the sweetness! Gonna be grabbing an MVS cart for it soon!

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
That doesn't look as bad as some of the footage i've seen of it running, definitely better than the Luke Morse video.

That's because Luke didn't use HDMI. And the HDMI could look better once they fix the 'software issues'.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup, the only real issue with HDMI is that it's a bit blurry due to the filtering and upscaling. Also, since the output is 480p, and nobody has a 480p display, the TV is scaling it again to whatever the native resolution is often with crappy results.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Get an AES with an MVS converter, that way you don't have to refresh your whole collection, you can just replace them slowly over time if you really wanted to, or not at all if you didn't.
I've considered it and is probably what I'd end up doing, to be honest. I suppose the more appropriate action would be to go the CMVS route, which I also think I'll do eventually. But that still doesn't change the fact that I want an actual AES as well.

Totally! Also I appreciate that the system convinced me to try out Baseball Stars 2, I couldn't ever understand what all the hype was about, but this game is the sweetness! Gonna be grabbing an MVS cart for it soon!
Agreed. I've had BS Pro on MVS for a long time but people kept telling me to get BS2. I keep putting it off but now plan on finding an MVS cart at some point for sure.

F-zero

n00b
I stopped watching his videos when the only thing keeping me interested is that closet of his collapsing down while the camera is rolling. That "goodbye" video was a joke and didn't need to be made public. As for this turd of a video, I love how he starts to rip on the audio when comparing the NGX to a home cart system (mono cable to 1 speaker on that little crt, Vs. the LCD with stereo). To each their own with opinions, but my only suggestion to him is to to clean up his room. It's a shame and alarming to see that test closet in such disarray.

As for the NGX, I accept it for what it is. Originally, I didn't want to go for the system until I played a few games of RB Fatal Fury, Nam 1975, and Baseball Stars 2. I was hooked to play some fun games on the go. Playing Neo games on my GP2X can be a pain with the click joystick. The PSP collection has its own faults (noticeably with Samurai Shodown's shit audio). This system even reignited my interest in Magician Lord to the point of me looking up 1CC videos of the damn game.

If the system stands the way it is now, it's a great gateway into the Neo scene. Should they upgrade the software or tweak something in the handheld, even better.

You're taking his review a bit personally aren't you?
No reason to start insulting him.
As it is i happen to agree with his opinion, how hard is it to make this this thing with the correct resolution, speed the emulation up to 60fps(for vsync)and give high quality video out?
For the price it should at least be as good as mame and finalburn, free emulators.
Maybe they should hire some of the mame team and do the job right.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
... how hard is it to make this this thing with the correct resolution, speed the emulation up to 60fps(for vsync)and give high quality video out?

That's just CRAZY talk, man.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I did some quick Google searching, and it looks like most of the common HDMI to scart converters would work, but they convert to composite video instead of RGB, so the picture quality improvement wouldn't be that great. It would be better though, since the NGX's composite output is shit.

oh well, i was hoping it would be rgb scart. my t.v. also has s-video is it worth paying for an hdmi-s-video converter? does it make that much difference?

mine actually did arrive today and people weren't kidding it looks bloody awful trough the composite lead's; very red and blurry.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Jesus Christ, yes. Once you plug your system into composite you'll see. By the way, if you do happen to see a HDMI to RGB scart converter, let me know as I have a RGB rig.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
no probs. has anyone had problems with screen taring via HDMI? , i've just been playing magician lord and metal slug and i was noticing it quite a bit.

also with the s-video converter did you have any screen taring whilst using it?

cheers.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
no probs. has anyone had problems with screen taring via HDMI? , i've just been playing magician lord and metal slug and i was noticing it quite a bit.

cheers.

Everyone that has one and has hooked it up to the tv has...

Pure and simple...it sucks...try playing league bowling...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, the screen tearing is there no matter what. Nothing we can do about that at the moment. I'm hoping that either there is an official update to fix that, or the system is hacked and we can put an unofficial emulator on there with adjustable video options.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Having read thru this thread, all I can say is:

I told you so.

I said this would end up being little more than a crappy little emulator, and that's all it is, complete with f-ing screen tearing. Not worth half the money asked for it. Not worthy of the NeoGeo branding.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Yes, the screen tearing is there no matter what. Nothing we can do about that at the moment. I'm hoping that either there is an official update to fix that, or the system is hacked and we can put an unofficial emulator on there with adjustable video options.

That's the dream right there...the sooner the better!

Edited to reflect that I was not agreeing with the post the dick before me made.

Last edited:

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
Just as the PSP, i think this device will only be great after it is fully hacked and put to is full potencial.

I dont regret my purchase (and i have alot of NeoGeo stuff)

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I'm still waiting to see the extent to which the device can be hacked (mainly to resolve its shortcomings) before I make my mind up on whether or not it's worth purchasing.

Lee Gray

I was just playing real bout FFS and I thought the stereo, especially on duck kings theme was really good.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Having read thru this thread, all I can say is:

I told you so.

You sir, are a dick.

For the record, diggerman is a shit game.

I won't even ask why you chose it as a screen name, I think I figured it out.

Lee Gray

Heres a thing I just plugged my HDMI cable direct to the back of the handheld without the docking station and it worked on my TV using the handheld,

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The HDMI and AV jacks on the dock are just passthroughs for the jacks on the handheld. Both work just fine plugged directly in.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Just as the PSP, i think this device will only be great after it is fully hacked and put to is full potencial.

I dont regret my purchase (and i have alot of NeoGeo stuff)

Yeah, but to be honest the PSP with NJ's Neo emulator really is much superior to this. The Neo-Geo X viewing angle isn't that great.
I'll try and get a comparison video of both together.

I'm still not angry that I bought it. I wasn't expecting an AES killer here. I was expecting a cool looking, officially licensed collectable "fun sized" system with 21 games and that's
exactly what I got.

What I didn't expect was the detail they paid to the box and packaging. Very nicely done.
And I'll also verify that the NGX control stick works perfectly with the PlayStation 3. I was playing Neo-Geo Station with the controller and it maps to the buttons 1:1 and there is no lag.
Added value for me since the NeoStick2 didn't work without lag. This does.. Yay!
16705_456898607690781_145478402_n.jpg

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice

cheers.

With HDMI I didn't have tearing or flashing, It was just super blurry and really bad color bleeding.