Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I am tempted to buy a back up controller, also though I am wary of going too aggressive with the hand held control pad because what if that fucks up after the 90 day warranty, could be costly.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
You sir, are a dick.

For the record, diggerman is a shit game.

I won't even ask why you chose it as a screen name, I think I figured it out.

Read my sig. See if your limited intellect can figure it out. Hint: I'm ridiculing the crappy game. I like to ridicule crappy stuff... which brings me to the NGX...

Amazing how me simply stating the truth about it bothers you so much. But it's also kinda funny, so thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

So have you played the Neo X yet then or just guessing its crap from what you seen and heard ?

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
So have you played the Neo X yet then or just guessing its crap from what you seen and heard ?

I've read many posts and watched several videos, and by all accounts it appears to be a poor product. I don't need to buy one to know that screen tearing and emulation bugs would be disappointing. But my main gripe with it is that I see it as a money grab by the manufacturers, knowing that they could market a sub-par product stamped with the NeoGeo logo, and still sell it to the Neo community.

Hopefully people can hack it to work better.

Lee Gray

Before mine arrived I read so many negative posts that I lost alot of interest and wasnt expecting much and using AV cables it did look shit but was happy with handheld and HDMI isnt too bad so its better than I thought after all the shit, if everyone had posted it was the best thing ever and then I got it I might have been more disappointing but thanks to all the negativity it made it better than I had hoped :)
I only find 3 of the games enjoyable for now so hope a decent batch of new games are released.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Read my sig. See if your limited intellect can figure it out. Hint: I'm ridiculing the crappy game. I like to ridicule crappy stuff... which brings me to the NGX...

Amazing how me simply stating the truth about it bothers you so much. But it's also kinda funny, so thanks for the laugh.

No, what's funny is my 5 year old kids don't even say "I told you so"...such a preschool way to prove a point. A grown ass man saying it...well, he's gotta be a dick or mentally handicapped...I'll leave it up to you to decide what you are.

Don't care about your sig...I sign in from my phone so I don't see that crap and got that nonsense turned off when I do log in from a browser, so yeah, my limited ass intellect will never figure out what you wasted your time creating.

Dick.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I still think the X should be taken as it is: a handheld. Controller aside, the dock and tv-out are literally $20 of the $200 package, depending on what you bought it for at least (hopefully for the handheld). If someone wanted solely a console I don't know why they'd get an X instead of a CMVS.

Complaints towards the handheld (and controller) have been a very small minority. If that's true, the X itself is a good product, because it's a handheld. The complaints belong towards the dock (and/or dock-related software issues) /imo

"I told you so" is very immature. But I'm sure a lot of the people who bought the X did so out of support and hope for future potential, at least they put their money where their mouth is instead of being a sour-sport on a forum for no reason? Oh well.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I still think the X should be taken as it is: a handheld. Controller aside, the dock and tv-out are literally $20 of the $200 package, depending on what you bought it for at least (hopefully for the handheld). If someone wanted solely a console I don't know why they'd get an X instead of a CMVS.

Complaints towards the handheld (and controller) have been a very small minority. If that's true, the X itself is a good product, because it's a handheld. The complaints belong towards the dock (and/or dock-related software issues) /imo

"I told you so" is very immature. But I'm sure a lot of the people who bought the X did so out of support and hope for future potential, at least they put their money where their mouth is instead of being a sour-sport on a forum for no reason? Oh well.

because we all thought that the docking station playing to a tv wouldnt look like total shit. so why even bother giving us this if it doesnt work well at all

SSS

neo retired
Having read thru this thread, all I can say is:

I told you so.

I said this would end up being little more than a crappy little emulator, and that's all it is, complete with f-ing screen tearing. Not worth half the money asked for it. Not worthy of the NeoGeo branding.

Uhh.. congrats? Were you stroking yourself off as you were reading the first negative reviews that were coming in? We all knew it was gonna be an emulator machine. You make it sound like this is some sort of revelation.

As for the complaints with the dock. Again, the horrible filter and screen tearing is present on the handheld screen as well. AFAIK it's probably a software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware.

If they fix the video and the sound, I'll be happy with it.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Lee: Which three games?

I'm about 50/50 with the games myself, although I own a lot of them on my home system already. I'm mostly playing the games I don't own in any format (League Bowling, Ninja Master's) and stuff I have only on MVS but haven't been able to play in a while(Real Bout Special, KOF 95.) I only count 4 stinkers for me.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I just hooked my dock up to an old tube magnavox I picked up at the thrift store today. Switched out the composite cable with a better set and set the tv to preset multimedia display setting and it actually looks great with no lag!

HDMI wasn't doing it for me, looked pretty bad on 2 different LCDs and both were loaded with lag on gameplay.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
:lolz: Perhaps we should mod the X by slapping it into one of those classy, high quality Tiger Game.Com shells? :-P

..wait wait.. "I think you can get a real neo geo for about $200 bucks" really dude? And what about that slug cart? :rolleyes:

Totally! Also I appreciate that the system convinced me to try out Baseball Stars 2, I couldn't ever understand what all the hype was about, but this game is the sweetness! Gonna be grabbing an MVS cart for it soon!
I really think he expected to much out of the handheld beside it is by tommo/blaze after all not snkp.Not to mention,he ran it composite without even trying it's hdmi cables to see the difference.Now i haven't completely written it off after watching the other 'reviews on youtube and reading the comments here on it.Still maybe later on i'll buy one for collectors sake.

Last edited:

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I hear a bunch of whiny bitch noise. People didn't know exactly what it was before it even hit consumer hands? It was always going to be a fancy little emu handset, with a nice HDMI capable dock and an arcade stick.

Things aren't exactly the same as the AES/MVS experience? No shit!?!

The processor in your microwave runs faster than 12mhz these days. And uuuh, it has been doing so for about 10 years now. Technology has moved on. Take the X for what it is, a MAME box with a SNK logo(or a GCW Zero minus a few chips...). They weren't shooting for a next level comeback here. The rights holders took a flying stab at recognizing some revenue through some nostalgic adults.

Play it with your drunk friends and have a good time. Or just send it back and get a refund. Don't slam it because your nerd ass has actually had a real AES since the 90's. 99% of the general population wouldn't know the X from the AES if they played them side by side. Any friend worth their companionship would piss themselves giggling the second you told them you had a Neo Geo anyhow.

The truth is the hardware is very capable. The only limitations this thing faces are software. Once a community forms around it, its on.

Lee Gray

I for one and pretty happy with the picture on my TV so no complaints there, Its not that much different then when I was playing MVS on my TV, sure its not as detailed and the colour needs adjusting but apart from that its fine and as others have said, its really a handheld with this as an added bonus if you wanted it or if not just wait till the handheld alone is released, If I plug my headphones in the handheld I can get the sound nice and loud. The clicky noise of the hand held pad does annoy me a little though.

Lee: Which three games?

I'm about 50/50 with the games myself, although I own a lot of them on my home system already. I'm mostly playing the games I don't own in any format (League Bowling, Ninja Master's) and stuff I have only on MVS but haven't been able to play in a while(Real Bout Special, KOF 95.) I only count 4 stinkers for me.

Alot of the games I have played to death in the past so really those are boring for me now, 2 games I had never played before were magician lord and puzzled (which I still have not tried) alot of the games I played for a few minutes but that was it.

The three games I still enjoy are Samurai shodown 2, fatal fury special and art of fighting , obviously I got this for the hopes of lots of games I love that will get released like World heroes 2 and last blade as then it will be worthwhile, I have still not opened up ninja masters yet as didnt really enjoy it much before and as a collector(or asshole) too cant seem to bring myself to open it lol

EDIT: I forgot about FFRBS , thats quite a decent game too, also just gave puzzled a go, its a crap version of tetris.
I expect those sports games will be alot more fun with 2 players, I love neo turf masters as use to play my mate on that all the time so hopefully that will get released.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

Even though Fatal fury 2 is still my fav neo game for sentimental reasons as it was what made me get an AES in the first place, (Just love in the intro so much) I bet they dont release it because of special being on the system....so if not if theres anyone who can make me an SD card of it thanks :)

valgalder

Kula's Candy
I hardly think this product was solely if at all geared toward the so called "Neo Geo Community" in the first place, as most of the people that still talk about, collect and play Neo Geo have the real things. Some of you need to get over yourselves as to think your opinion really matters to a company like SNK / Playmore or Tommo or whomever though. I think they're more going for the people that never got into it back in the day and are curious to see what it was all about without spending a ton of money. I don't really know what some of you were expecting.. and i'm kinda surprised my luke's video too as he should have known better.

I don't own the X, but it look exactly if not better than I would have expected from a licensed product like this. It is kind of cool that they even put the extra detail in the packaging (besides the fact that Ninja Masters has no case). It feels cheap because it is. You're really expecting the screen to be of the same quality as a Vita or something? That being said, it is too bad they didn't work out the video output because it seems like those issues could have been resolved.

Lan Di

War Room Troll
I hear a bunch of whiny bitch noise. People didn't know exactly what it was before it even hit consumer hands? It was always going to be a fancy little emu handset, with a nice HDMI capable dock and an arcade stick.

Things aren't exactly the same as the AES/MVS experience? No shit!?!

The processor in your microwave runs faster than 12mhz these days. And uuuh, it has been doing so for about 10 years now. Technology has moved on. Take the X for what it is, a MAME box with a SNK logo(or a GCW Zero minus a few chips...). They weren't shooting for a next level comeback here. The rights holders took a flying stab at recognizing some revenue through some nostalgic adults.

Play it with your drunk friends and have a good time. Or just send it back and get a refund. Don't slam it because your nerd ass has actually had a real AES since the 90's. 99% of the general population wouldn't know the X from the AES if they played them side by side. Any friend worth their companionship would piss themselves giggling the second you told them you had a Neo Geo anyhow.

The truth is the hardware is very capable. The only limitations this thing faces are software. Once a community forms around it, its on.

I agree 100%.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Any friend worth their companionship would piss themselves giggling the second you told them you had a Neo Geo anyhow.

Unfortunately, this is not a factual statement. Everyone I hang out with on a regular basis is into modern gaming and thinks I need to step out of the '90s...

Until they are drunk at least...everyone seems to enjoy side by side drunken shit talking competitive gaming when it comes down to it.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Hello,
I will wait to have one inmy hands before saying ..no way!!!

Lol, kinda hard to share your opinions on something if you've never put your hands on it...

Wish more felt this way.

I wonder what the sales figures so far have been.

Lee Gray

Theres plenty of mixed opinion but even the ones who have it and dislike it are not insulting the shit out of it like some of the people who dont own it.

As for me I like it for what it is and think its money well spent. obviously though they need to use MVS game codes rather than AES in future SD card releases and release a large chunk too.

smccd

New Challenger
Thumbs up!

I think it's a good device. It is exactly what I expected when I bought it.

NGX for playing, AES for collecting.

Lee Gray

Wouldnt it be awesome if the box set was called limited edition for a reason, Once the initial batch sells out then thats it and only the hand held is sold on its own plus the controllers and dock being sold as standalones, then this thing would be worth a fortune if box was imacculate.