Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The NGX is not bad and is not for everyone. I got one since launch...and now I ended up buying an AES and joining the forum. Yes it's not perfect..but again it's not for everyone.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup, I have a CMVS, Neo CD, home system and now a Neo Geo X. All of them serve a slightly different purpose.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You Neo Geo X apologists can keep making excuses for this thing.

This thing could have been so much more, but SNKP licensed their IP out to a substandard company who made this thing virtually as cheap as possible. Instead of focusing on quality and delivering something worthy of the Neo Geo legacy, they brought to market something that looks like it was conceived as a $50 knockoff of a much more expensive device.

Keep on gargling the nuts of Tommo and SNKP. I'm sure they will fix up all those video and audio issues via a firmware update any day now...

Amen brother. This could have been something so big, nothing in the NGX is polished at all. If this thing didn't say Neo Geo or SNK then I'd be fine with it. This could have been SNK's step back in to the handheld market. It just saddens me that this thing is so cheap and SNKP didn't do the RND on this thing instead.

Went to my friend's house and played with the "1:1" joystick, are you kidding me? Too bad he didn't let me open it, I really wanted to look inside. It would have been cool if they made it a bit deeper so aftermarket sticks could be thrown in there with no problems. Is it just me or when you try to do a 360 it feels like you will crack the plastic if you do it too hard.

...Well back to my workbench to save another "real" Neo Geo, we'll need them.

SSS

neo retired
The sticks are alright. I'm gonna order another one. Plugged the one up to my laptop and fired up MAME with a decent shadowmask filter. Looks and plays a hell of alot better than the handheld/station.

I think it's a great little system. Use it for what it is a neo on the go. I have fun playing it and I think that's what really matters. I have a huge smile on my face when playing it and it took me back when I was a kid playing in the arcades. The arcades was one my favorite memory's when I was a kid. I have an AES too, but to compare the two is a silly debate. The cost of the AES new today would be in the thousands with inflation. For the guy who lives in the closet that video is full of inconsistencies. He may have a mental illness with collecting and living in that closet.

SSS

neo retired
Except it sucks as a Neo Geo on the go. I remember the PSP neo emulator being much better.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
PSP Neo emulation was great, but the fucking control pad made anything but League Bowling and Neo Drift Out unplayable. That pissed me off so much, I finally had portable Neo and I can't use it for fighters.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
PSP Neo emulation was great, but the fucking control pad made anything but League Bowling and Neo Drift Out unplayable. That pissed me off so much, I finally had portable Neo and I can't use it for fighters.

Uh the psp pad was fixed with the 2000 and 3000 models

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Improved, but still sucks for Neo.

The Vita's pad actually isn't half bad though.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
I love how all the non owners are the biggest haters.

I fucking know its not an AES or an MVS, I know its emulation, but I purchased the NEO GEO X because I wanted too, I have owned an AES and a cabinet and a CMVS and a Neo CD plus a couple of superguns in my time, 200 is not much money for a bit of fun and I am having a lot of fun with this so it doesnt really matter who else hates it, I like it and thats all that counts to me.
I expect even if I had a brand new AES on a brand new TV and took a photo of it and pretending it was the from the NEO GEO X that people would still say it looks shit :smirk:

For someone that spent 0$ on this product, Broken sure do an ass ton of bitching about it.
Exactly. If he had purchased it himself and then said it was a pile of shit, then his opinion might mean something

I also have mame kawaks on my computer with a library of neo geo games that I can play when I want, the quality is a little better but not much, I had spare money to purchase this and unless someone plays it for themselves you dont really know if its shit or not, just because other people say it is. I love Freddy VS Jason, other people think its shit, everyone has different opinions and just because someone has different opinions, no need to insult them.

Last edited:
Yea that says it all. No wonder sega never came out with another system. Why would anyone? It's just easier to bash something, then just to try to support it and give it a chance. As time goes on we are getting less and less choices to play games on original new hardware. At least back in the day people took chances on new consoles, now with the Internet everyone has the answers without even trying it. Seeing it more and more. As an investor why bother? Just download the games on psn.

emu002

n00b
I would be more tempted to by the neo geo x if they made some new games that weren't released on the old systems

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You guys have it all wrong. I am not bashing simply to bash it.

I'm PISSED that the once mighty Neo Geo has been reduced down to a poorly thought out clone that bares no resemblance to its original glory. This thing is no better than all those Nintendo and sega clones that you see being hawked on eBay. It comes with the dock and a cheapened clone of the original stick...big fucking deal.

They could have done so much more. Why not use a proper 4x3 screen? Don't tell me it's because they aren't available because they are. New handhelds like GCW Zero are using them. The Zero almost exactly the same hardware arch. but has a 4x3 screen, built in wifi and an open source OS that doesn't require all this fiddling about. Ohhh and it is $120.

Why use emulation at all? If they wanted to do it right, they should have done a FPGA clone of the original hardware. That way it could run the original game code as intended and far better. Especially since this is suppose to be a dedicated SNK handheld. Hell, they could build a new AES system using a FPGA that played the original carts if they wanted too then. But instead they took the easy way out and used emulation. Emulation that they very well might not have licensed. I have yet to see anything saying that they licensed Final Burn Alpha and they might be in violation of its license agreement. At the very least if they were going to use emulation they could either write their own, or license and improve an existing one. Don't just steal someone else's. I'm not anti emulation, but I hate poorly done emulation.

They could have made this the Cadillac of handhelds...the Apple of portable gaming. But, they licensed their ip to a company who used off the shelf parts to create a poorly emulated version of its former glory. I'm sure the original SNK is rolling in their grave over this.

I honestly cannot believe people are supporting this thing and defending it. Why didn't SNKP reach out to the community to find out what they wanted in a handheld? Because, lets be honest, the majority of the folks buying an emulated handheld of a niche arcade and home system is probably folks that are already Neo Geo fans. So their fan base is already limited.

Disappointed.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Sounds like you still want nothing but pachislot machines getting produced with the IPs...

I got a pachislot (not SNK themed) for the kiddies. Pretty boring unless you're super drunk.

Broken, you will never write "unsafe at any speed" so you might as well give up now...

The real test will be in seeing how long the units hold up for and what kind of support we get for it.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I have multiple modded psps and I would MUCH rather play Neo games on the X. The controls are very similar to using a Neo Cd Pad. Maybe it's just me but when I play the X, It "feels" like I'm playing a portable Neo Geo. On the psp it feels like I'm emulating neo geo. The controls just aren't there

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Hooked up to the LCD via HDMI and I played with the settings a bit. Can't compare to the cab, but not that bad either. Screen tearing is definitely noticeable in game play and there is still input lag present as well.

The scratches you see in some of the pictures are actual scratches on my tv screen not the video output from the dock...with kids, you just don't sweat the small stuff like that :lolz:

209omtl.jpg

vora6t.jpg

eg9x5.jpg

22f1oo.jpg

2l8kims.jpg

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Hooked up to the LCD via HDMI and I played with the settings a bit. Can't compare to the cab, but not that bad either. Screen tearing is definitely noticeable in game play and there is still input lag present as well.

The scratches you see in some of the pictures are actual scratches on my tv screen not the video output from the dock...with kids, you just don't sweat the small stuff like that :lolz:

Do you have a "game mode" on your tv? If not, how does the lag here compare to other 480p sources going into your tv. Are you sure it's not just due to your tv scaling the signal up to 1080p slowly?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
It's a 720 tv. Display defaults to 480p 4:3 when I power up the X, other 480p sources give me no input lag from controllers. Both my TVs have the same issue with input lag from the X.