Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Truth deserves a quote.
It's a fair truth. I think at this point, with the current emulation bugs and the lack of other games sold for it at present (plus the very real lingering threat of the FBA authors not responding kindly to this breach of license) it should only be bought by people like me - lazy nostalgics that are happy with a soldering iron but are too lazy to make an AES case themselves. For me when I'm done, I'll have an AES replica with all games ready to play and a reasonable quality stick that I can drag to a friends place for PC emulator use. Great for me, but I bought it as a project to continue work on, so I'm happy enough.

Can't see how anyone else would be happy with it, with rose-tinted glasses alone.

bg1188

n00b
4 days left to neo geo x make a month since its release and nobody says anything about the future of gaming.
every day that passes I think this console was just a scam. played with the nostalgia of people to take your money and then laugh in the face of them.

im waiting for the release of just the handheld before I cry foul.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Theres not much as problem with the handheld itself apart from the widescreen which I can live with, although I did notice a few line flashes on the intro of one of the games, maybe when the handheld is released on its own it might have these errors corrected.

When I play games I like to have manuals for those games, mainly for bios as its fighting games I like best so when they release these 21 games without manuals so you dont know the story and so forth, it actually makes the games more boring. The site said downloadable manuals would be available but not seen any as of yet.

Last edited:

bg1188

n00b
If they fix the issues when the handheld only SKU comes out, then they better patch the current unit!

carnicero27

Mega Shock!!
im waiting for the release of just the handheld before I cry foul.

if they do not release games soon, i dont think this portable will be on shops more than 3 months.

i want buy this console but i think the best buy i did is not buy the console.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
The site said downloadable manuals would be available but not seen any as of yet.

Sounds like a pile of promises and zero results. They released this thing way too soon and that has everything to do with a little bit of greed before the holidays. They just had to cash in before Christmas instead of waiting until they had their act together.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Theres not much as problem with the handheld itself apart from the widescreen which I can live with, although I did notice a few line flashes on the intro of one of the games, maybe when the handheld is released on its own it might have these errors corrected.

When I play games I like to have manuals for those games, mainly for bios as its fighting games I like best so when they release these 21 games without manuals so you dont know the story and so forth, it actually makes the games more boring. The site said downloadable manuals would be available but not seen any as of yet.

I think the LCD is probably one of the larger f ups on the system. They should have used an LCD that had a resolution that was a (near) multiple of the neo geo's native resolution of 320x224. As things are now, they are scaling the native 224 up to 272, which means inserting a row of pixels every 5-6 rows. What color do you make these new pixels such that it doesn't distort and/or make the image blurry? This scaling to a weird resolution is also the main problem with the hdmi out, but they can at least fix that in software.

-ack

bg1188

n00b
if they do not release games soon, i dont think this portable will be on shops more than 3 months.

i want buy this console but i think the best buy i did is not buy the console.

the current SKU was a limited edition. More like a pre release. Lets wait and see what happens.

bojay1997

Kuroko's Training Dummy
the current SKU was a limited edition. More like a pre release. Lets wait and see what happens.

No it wasn't. It was a regular retail release. The "limited" just referred to the fact that if you preordered, you were guaranteed the extra game Ninja Masters.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

neogeoforlife.com has a section of manual downloads for a good number of fighting games, provided that you read Japanese.

cabear

n00b
I gave up on tommo supporting the ngx. No way they really support it this late after release. I wanted to believe! Haha

Superdanx

Goal! Goal! Goal!
10 Year Member
Yeah I'm throwing mine in the bin, no new games after four weeks! Fuck those guys.

slerch666

updyke,
This place makes me chuckle.

4 weeks released. 2 weeks of vacations for many people. REDDIT discussion occurred claiming TOMMO was working on the issues. Bug fixes and preparing firmware updates take time. No one can snap their fingers and magically make it happen. And still people are already claiming they've dropped support. :kekeke:

Before I tell everyone the sky is falling, I'm going to make sure it is.

cabear

n00b
the way i see it, if the neo geo pocket had snk's support and failed, what chance does tommo have? snkp doesn't even acknowledge the ngx.

The business plan seems to be to sell neo geo games on sd cards, fine. Where are they? why only have ONE pack in game available for a month? were they hoping that the 21 built in games would be enough? the same 21 games that have been available for the past 20 years?

if anyone else is holding out for tommo to provide a great hand held experience that's great, more power to them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't know why you idiots are still supporting a device with a stolen and unlicensed emulator on it (among other things).

If Tommo plans to support this thing anymore, most likely they are working to update it with a licensed (we hope) emulator as so to avoid getting their ass sued off.

Bottom line: They are thieves. Don't support people who steal from the open source community.

Everyone should return their NGX's and get their money back.

Superdanx

Goal! Goal! Goal!
10 Year Member
Is to possible to steal something that's free? Even if it is you have absolutely no evidence that it's been used without permission.

bojay1997

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Under US law it absolutely is possible to steal something that is only free for certain types of uses. The emulator license is pretty specific about not being licensed for commercial use. Perhaps they properly licensed it, but all indications are that they didn't given the inclusion of unlicensed Sony IP.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Is to possible to steal something that's free? Even if it is you have absolutely no evidence that it's been used without permission.

Open Source does NOT equal free. Most open source licenses forbid commercial use of a product without express consent of the author.

Also, lantus360 had this to say about FBA usage on the NGX (in this thread just 1 page back):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...e-announced!&p=3475371&viewfull=1#post3475371

i know the FBA authors. There was no agreement made. They also informed me that this isn't the first instance of the use of their emulator in a commercial product like this.

Im not sure what course of action they are planning on taking - if any - at this time.

The FBA license states:

http://www.barryharris.me.uk/fba_license.php

• You may not sell, lease, rent or otherwise seek to gain monetary profit from FB Alpha;
  • You must make public any changes you make to the source code;
  • You must include, verbatim, the full text of this license;
  • You may not distribute binaries which support games with copyright dates less then three years old;
  • You may not distribute FB Alpha with ROM images unless you have the legal right to distribute them.

It's pretty clear the first line of the license was violated. Possibly the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd (since I doubt anywhere easily accessible in the NGX UI does it mention the FBA license).

Tommo wouldn't have a leg to stand on if this was to ever to go to court.

And this is just the FBA side of things. How about that Sony Playstation bios file that's included on the internal storage? Sony could sue them into oblivion.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Ha, worth more. Give it a few months. Any remaining stock of neo x's will be at Dollar General next to shAT games portable genesis.

bg1188

n00b
This place makes me chuckle.

4 weeks released. 2 weeks of vacations for many people. REDDIT discussion occurred claiming TOMMO was working on the issues. Bug fixes and preparing firmware updates take time. No one can snap their fingers and magically make it happen. And still people are already claiming they've dropped support. :kekeke:

Before I tell everyone the sky is falling, I'm going to make sure it is.

Exactly my take on it. There are twenty-one games to mess around with -- people are never satisfied.

eclypse

Banned
First post in billion years..

Posting to say that i'm interested in the new system but.. I cant pull the wallet out till I see some games hitting the shelves.