Awesome fighters that never got the credit they deserved

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Would have to agree on Ninja Masters.

My suggestions would be Advanced Variable Geo 2 on PSX and Waku Waku 7 on the old Neo Geo :)

RRR

New Challenger
Star Gladiator (PS1)

And its sequel, Plasma Sword (DC)

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hokuto No Ken - I fucking love the title screen music, get's you hyped! I need to get around to buying it on the AW. It's so over the top that I turn a blind eye to it's imperfections. It pretty much amazes anyone who plays it ;)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I thought Bushido blade was pretty popular...

bushido blade was certainly popular in my circle of friends. Did tobal no.1 really sell badly? even with that final fantasy 7 demo?

tobal no 1 did sell poorly. it rented well, though. it was well received, but just couldn't get going.

as far as bushido blade- it sold well enough to get a sequel and a GH version. however it was quickly forgotten about. I brought it up because its hit system (instant killing, crippling, damage based on what a weapon would actually do) was revolutionary. there still isn't anything like it out. It came and went but no one noticed after it was gone.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
HnK sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread, for a game that 'didn't get the credit it deserved'.

My buddy that owns a game shop, sold the shit out of this. NCSX sold OUT of this. I know 20 people w/ either the 1st print &/or the ARCADE rev of HnK...

THE GAME WAS POPULAR ENOUGH TO GET A SEGA THE BEST RE-RELEASE.

...how did it not get the credit it deserved again?!

And it sucks.

Wait, hear me out.

It is not true to the source material. I mean, the NES version of HnK has the exploding heads. The fuck, ARC?

BasaraX is the game HnK shoulda, & coulda been.

Now, back to the OT. On a neo site, no less-HOW THE FUCK IS BREAKERS NOT MENTIONED YET?!?

Every non-neo civilian I've ever showed Breakers Revenge to, has had a 'holy shit!' moment. The game is GOOD. And underrated as all get out.

Asuka 120 series of games roooles, too.

And Dark Awake, shit dudes. eight-one & I went bezerk for this game @ TGS '04...and had run of the machine, for at least half an hour. Never saw it outside of TGS, until the PSN re-release, years later. *that* is a fighter that didn't get the credit it deserves!

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Tobal 1 and 2
ANOTHER VOTE HERE...
for the Tobal series, especially the much improved Tobal 2.

Tobal 2 is in fact a game that I think is so good, I'd go as far as saying it's the best 3D fighter of the 32-bit gen. It was just leagues ahead in terms of gameplay and system. The graphics were stunning, the gameplay flowed like nothing I'd ever seen before. I was stunned how the animations for the kicks and punches were interrupted/affected by being blocked. And who can ignore that Tobal was (imo) the first fighter that opted for full-on 3D controller movement > up for jump. No one else adopted this before the successive 128-bit gen and is now a standard in all/most 3D fighters. Oh, the music was amazing too.

The only thing that I think held the game game back was, that on first appearance, the character designs were probably not very appealing vs all the other main 3D fighters at the time. I liked them myself but I think they were pretty obscure for a 3D fighter then.

(if you were Japanese or indeed, fluent in Japanese Katakana/Kanji etc you were treated to a quest based fighting game on the disc too with a different character entirely.)

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Samurai Shodown 3 was considered inferior to 2 but IMO the music/style killed its predecessor.

And Samurai Shodown 4 was fun as hell with those CD combos....Zankuro's boss intro was pretty badass as well. And his music was fucking awesome....hell Zan himself is an awesome boss....a murdering swordsman ogre? Why can't SNKP come up with awesome shit like this?

Samurai Shodown 6 was ok, wasn't crazy about it, but being able to do this puts it up there for me.
SNKP should totally re release SS3 as a high def special edition that lets you play as Kuroko.

Buriki one is something I've never played and it (rightfully) doesn't get much love as a game, but I wish it could get more attention as a series. In many ways it is to Art of Fighting what Garou was to Fatal Fury: Totally new cast (except for the main character), drastic gameplay change, and it takes place quite a few years after the previous series. Problem is, the characters were kinda meh....save for Rob Python, Silber, Mr. Karate II, Gai, Seo Yong Song and Payak...

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
HnK sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread, for a game that 'didn't get the credit it deserved'.

My buddy that owns a game shop, sold the shit out of this. NCSX sold OUT of this. I know 20 people w/ either the 1st print &/or the ARCADE rev of HnK...

And it sucks.

Wait, hear me out.

It is not true to the source material. I mean, the NES version of HnK has the exploding heads. The fuck, ARC?

Now, back to the OT. On a neo site, no less-HOW THE FUCK IS BREAKERS NOT MENTIONED YET?!?

Every non-neo civilian I've ever showed Breakers Revenge to, has had a 'holy shit!' moment. The game is GOOD. And underrated as all get out.

And Dark Awake, shit dudes. eight-one & I went bezerk for this game @ TGS '04...and had run of the machine, for at least half an hour. Never saw it outside of TGS, until the PSN re-release, years later. *that* is a fighter that didn't get the credit it deserves!
It's because it was barely heard of here in the states. Often there is a discrepancy between what fighters are popular in the US (MvC series) or Japan (HnK,KOF,etc). Also, claiming a fighting isn't true to the source material is kind of a no duh comment. Exploding heads also would have likely made the game 'M' rated.

Great suggestions otherwise. I just watched some Martial Masters clips and I was really impressed.

I throw my vote in for SvC Chaos. YES it is busted as fuck, but the game is still fun.
Also, the PS2 Def Jam fighting games. Made by the same people that did the n64 wrestling games, they're good fun as well.
In my circle we also played the Gamecube Naruto fighting games (Gekito Ninja Taisen) a ton. Again, not super deep, but they are 4 player (big bonus) and very easy for anyone to pick up and enjoy. We ended up enjoying them more than smash bros. at the time.

Last vote would be for Guilty Gear Isuka. People who bitched about turning around being a button should quit bitching, it makes perfect sense why it is the case. The game is so ungodly chaotic, and some combinations of teams just gross, but the madness is endearing. Also building your own Robo-Ky was an awesome edition.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SvC Chaos is a terrible game. The hit boxes are so messed up in that game, it's unbelievable. Let's not even talk about the lousy sound and art.

Back To Sam Sho 6. I don't think people have played it enough to give it a fair opinion. I understand the fact that they are still using low res sprites on high res bgs, but I don't care. Just the same as I don't care about it in MvsC2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 (two other game I love to death). The fact that you can pick ANY character from the series in ANY mode from the series... count me in. It's incredible. But, maybe that's just me... and that's why it didn't go any where. Too damn bad.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
And as for making the sprites high res, careful what you ask for. They did that with Super Turbo HD, and those sprites look like shit. And yet, KOF 12/13 sprites look incredible. Just gotta redo them from the ground up, and not simply try and re-animate them (I guess?).

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I dont know if it was just the shitty translation but SS6 was pretty goofy and halfassed (beyond the solid gameplay).

Like, in the japanese version, does Kusaregedo actually say "better make this quick, I'm late for my NAMBLA meeting"?

Stuff like that makes me laugh but holy hell does someone need to get fired from that place.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

And it sucks.

Wait, hear me out.

Dark awake started life as a neo title, was changed during development.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I think a lot of people forget about the Last Blade series. When you've got SamSho on the same system people seem to overlook it. For me even though LB2 has more I just like running certain characters with the Speed mode in the first game. How can you beat a game that has "The Offensive Orgy Mode"?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Ninja Master's and Project Justice get my vote. Project Justice is probably the most fun I've had with a fighter hands down.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think that the Akai N64 Wrestling games get any respect as fighters.

IMHO, they are the best 3D figthing games ever made.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I'm still a huge Samurai Shodown 4 fan. Where 3 would be about precision and quick matches, 4 was always a pickup and have fun type of game. For some reason, I can't get into Samurai Shodown 6. The roster is good, but the gameplay blows goat when compared to the previous titles.

I wish there was a new Psychic Force or King of Monsters out on the current gen systems.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah, so I'm gonna swing from Buriki Ones nuts a little more.

Scroll it up to the 5:00 mark where Ducalis is about to throw Gai and check out that reversal. I haven't played many 3d fighting games recently, but I can honestly say I've never seen such technical depth with grappling/throws in a video game before.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Dark awake started life as a neo title, was changed during development.

Yeah, I wanna say we were at the Taito booth for this one...methinks it got turfed from neo to TypeX.

...& I was just trollin' about HnK sucking.

I'm serious about it not meeting it's full potential, tho. The hi-res ARC stuff *looks* great (especially still)...animation could use some more attention IMHO.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm still a huge Samurai Shodown 4 fan. Where 3 would be about precision and quick matches, 4 was always a pickup and have fun type of game. For some reason, I can't get into Samurai Shodown 6. The roster is good, but the gameplay blows goat when compared to the previous titles.

Please explain. Seriously.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I don't think that the Akai N64 Wrestling games get any respect as fighters.

IMHO, they are the best 3D figthing games ever made.

Oh shit, we're counting 'rasslin games as fighters?

WORD.

Here is a tragically slept on series:

AJPW featuring Virtua 1-3 (AJPW Saturn, & the DC/NAOMI GiantGrams)

The GiantGrams especially are some of the most fun party games, ever. 4 player tag matches rule.

I don't think CyberBots gets its due, either.

On the Buriki One front-super fun. The gameplay is highly unorthodox, & takes awhile to become uncumbersome. However, the fit & finish is AMAZING. This game puts you front row @ a RINGS/Pancration style PPV during the height of the Japanese MMA boom.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
wat, glad you mentioned breakers, very underrated as far as the fighter heavy neo catalog goes, Visco definitely gets love from me.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Zero Divide on PSX.

The announcer (also the last boss) was very annoying though.

There was also a pretty good (from memory) hidden shmup to play if you achieved certain goals. **

If only there was a fighting game featuring the Virtual On mecha....

**Edit: Okay the shmup was called Tiny Phalanx, a mini version of the Phalanx game on SNES and X68K.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Zero Divide on PSX.

The announcer (also the last boss) was very annoying though.

There was also a pretty good (from memory) hidden shmup to play if you achieved certain goals.

If only there was a fighting game featuring the Virtual On mecha....

I would *love* a 2D VO, ala CyberBots.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Please explain. Seriously.

To me, the game doesn't flow as 2, 3, or even 4. I do like the spirit select, but it almost feels a little unresponsive when I try to string a combo. Maybe I'm not givng it a fighting chance, but for some reason the pace feels off whenever I play.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The intro on fotns makes it worth owning, especially if you've watched the anime.