Awesome fighters that never got the credit they deserved

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

I love how it captures the cheesy cliches of Japanese mech anime. Such fun little details like the overly heroic music.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
To me, the game doesn't flow as 2, 3, or even 4. I do like the spirit select, but it almost feels a little unresponsive when I try to string a combo. Maybe I'm not givng it a fighting chance, but for some reason the pace feels off whenever I play.

Maybe because it's a little faster... but once you know what links with what, away you go. :)

The intro on fotns makes it worth owning, especially if you've watched the anime.

I started watching the anime BECAUSE of the game. The game almost follows TOO closely to the series. I mean, sitting down indian style, then shooting two beams out of your hands is a retarded move to do in a fighting game. And yet, it makes perfect sense because that's what happened in the anime.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
There's a cool video on youtube which shows the really in depth anime relations from the game, such as shin throwing himself off a building and such.

I did the same thing, the game was so awesome I watched the anime after. A lot of filler in the anime but it's still worth a watch.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Yeah, I wanna say we were at the Taito booth for this one...methinks it got turfed from neo to TypeX.

It did early, I want to say right after it was announced. In fact, people thought it was "lost" until it popped up on the TypeX. I'm too lazy to google it right now.

...& I was just trollin' about HnK sucking.

I'm serious about it not meeting it's full potential, tho. The hi-res ARC stuff *looks* great (especially still)...animation could use some more attention IMHO.

I thought it was really smooth and beautiful. I have never, ever watched an anime, so I can honestly say I have no point of reference for the game or its shortcomings, storyline-wise.

I'd have to say that of the fighters I've been able to get some time in on over the last year or so, HnK and Melty Blood : AC have the smoothest and most natural combo systems of them all. HnK has style and graphics over MB:AC, though. You can tell MB started as a homebrew indie game. It misses that professional style and touch. It's nice looking, but it's missing polish and soul.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Power Quest for the Game Boy Color. This is the game you want to play if you want to get into 2D fighters. It's a rather simplistic game, but it has all of the things that make Street Fighter 2 great, and it presents those things in an environment that allows you to cultivate your own skills.

The standard arcade mode is rather average, but the solid gameplay still makes it fun. The story mode is where the game really shines. This is where you go to learn to be a 2D fighter. It gives you an environment to hone your skills as you progress through the game. It slowly ratchets up the difficulty and complexity. You have to earn moves and upgrades RPG-style, too, so it has that going for it.

And it's got a great soundtrack.

My dad thought this was a Mega Man game back in the 90s just because of the music.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
SamSho 6 isn't the best, but I agree that it's underrated. It gave me one of my favorite female characters of all time (Iroha) and it's just fun to play.

Games like Project Justice, Last Blade, and Power Instinct: Matrimelee get my vote. Because holy shit Matrimelee is a blast. Its music always cheers me up.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Martial Masters - I found the game about a year ago in a MAME compilation, I've been trying to score an PGM copy ever since, its already been said by everyone else, interesting system and great animation.
Ninja Masters - a very cool combo system and the whole "putting away your weapons" is really fun and not used a lot in the older fighting games.
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension - though most of the people might consider the animation in this game crap I find it quite interesting since it really makes the characters stand out IMO.
Red Earth - Leveling, thus learning new moves as you progress in a fighting game is a concept I first considered really bothering but It kinda grew on me :lol
Yu Yu Hakusho Final - another not so "eye candy" game but extremely fun due to it's simple gameplay and easy to learn techniques, combos, specials and desperation attacks. A MUST if you enjoyed the manga/anime of this one :D

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Cyberbots any one !?

Sure it had it's successor in tech romancer but it's a shame,cyberbots never went on went to become a serise.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I seem to remember the N64 having a few fighters that, while not the best, were definitely worth a look for sheer novelty.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Cyberbots any one !?

Sure it had it's successor in tech romancer but it's a shame,cyberbots never went on went to become a serise.

Thanks to this one I discovered "armored warriors", indeed cyberbots is another one to add to this list :(

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Thanks to this one I discovered "armored warriors", indeed cyberbots is another one to add to this list :(

Yeah i've heard of "armored warriors" the spin off to cyberbots.For the videos i've watch of it,it does look like a fun one to play.If you can't find the pcb for cyberbots,then there's the (Saturn&PS1) ports.I myself have it for the saturn and i think it's a rather good port for the console.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I seem to remember the N64 having a few fighters that, while not the best, were definitely worth a look for sheer novelty.
GUILTY...
I really liked Fighters Destiny because it was the first N64 fighter that even looked decent to me. I thought the whole point scoring system was really innovative at the time. I also like the throw reversal system too.

In fact, it's one of those games that, the more I think about it, I have to go and kick the f*ck out of someone until they reach 'Piyori' state and then 360 German Suplex them into a KO!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Its easy to look back now and appreciate these games, as they are in fact fun. What you must remember is the context and time period of the release. By the mid to late 90's the fighting game market was completely saturated. I often wonder if people will come to view the mid to late 2000's in the same way... As over saturated with first person shooters. Commentary about current trends aside, this to me is proof positive of the need for emulators like MAME. As functional historical preservation engine.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I started watching the anime BECAUSE of the game. The game almost follows TOO closely to the series. I mean, sitting down indian style, then shooting two beams out of your hands is a retarded move to do in a fighting game. And yet, it makes perfect sense because that's what happened in the anime.

jesus christ can someone post some sprite rips from the game because i love toki and wanna see this over and over and over

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Fighting Vipers.

I was playing that a little while ago on the Model 2 Emulator. It's a slobberknocker of a good time.

I also have the US and JP Saturn versions. JP has Pepsiman. He's incredibly broken, but he's so fun. There's even an option to relock him after you unlock him so you can wow your friends by unlocking him again. I got the US version in November of 1999. It was new and cheap at Toys R Us, so I figured why not? I'm glad I got it because I played it so much!

It feels like a more amped-up version of Virtua Fighter 2. The basic gameplay is very similar, but it's a lot faster paced and more in your face. The armor breakdown mechanic added a serious amount of strategy, too. Even when you weren't doing life bar damage, you could do damage to the armor. Knock it off, and you do extra damage on that part of the body. Get yours knocked off, and you're at a serious disadvantage.

The Saturn port has extra modes. It has a Saturn exclusive arrange mode which is kind of like an old fighting game update. It adds a few extra moves. There's also the hyper mode which allows you to shed your armor for extra speed. I typically stay with the arrange mode because of the extra moves. It makes going back to the arcade version on the Model 2 emulator difficult, though.

Once again, the music is awesome. Some songs are better than others, but they're mostly rock songs that get you pumped for the high-intensity nature of the game. The Saturn version has arranged music, too. Unfortunately, there's no option like in Virtua Fighter 2 to select the soundtrack, but both soundtracks are about equal.

I recently played Fighting Vipers 2 on the Model 3 emulator, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the first one. Something about it felt wrong. I don't think it was the emulator, either. Virtua Fighter 3, despite having game-breaking graphical problems, at least felt right on that emulator.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Power Instinct series.

Galaxy Fight.

Primal Rage.

P.s- Samurai Shodown 1 is by far the best of the series. its videogame perfection.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Star Gladiator (PS1)

And its sequel, Plasma Sword (DC)

i remember back when that game first came out, my friends would come over and we'd stay up most of the night playing that(a long with twisted metal 2 & wipeout xl). i remember we'd stock up n jolt cola & make runs to this 24/7 mexican food joint a few blocks away. memories indeed....

oh and in case no one's mentioned it yet, what about Art Of Fighting 1 and World Heroes 1? 2 fighting games I played like crazy and love to this day. i actually like both of those 1st releases more then the sequels & such.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Fighting Vipers.

I was playing that a little while ago on the Model 2 Emulator. It's a slobberknocker of a good time.

I also have the US and JP Saturn versions. JP has Pepsiman. He's incredibly broken, but he's so fun. There's even an option to relock him after you unlock him so you can wow your friends by unlocking him again. I got the US version in November of 1999. It was new and cheap at Toys R Us, so I figured why not? I'm glad I got it because I played it so much!

It feels like a more amped-up version of Virtua Fighter 2. The basic gameplay is very similar, but it's a lot faster paced and more in your face. The armor breakdown mechanic added a serious amount of strategy, too. Even when you weren't doing life bar damage, you could do damage to the armor. Knock it off, and you do extra damage on that part of the body. Get yours knocked off, and you're at a serious disadvantage.

The Saturn port has extra modes. It has a Saturn exclusive arrange mode which is kind of like an old fighting game update. It adds a few extra moves. There's also the hyper mode which allows you to shed your armor for extra speed. I typically stay with the arrange mode because of the extra moves. It makes going back to the arcade version on the Model 2 emulator difficult, though.

Once again, the music is awesome. Some songs are better than others, but they're mostly rock songs that get you pumped for the high-intensity nature of the game. The Saturn version has arranged music, too. Unfortunately, there's no option like in Virtua Fighter 2 to select the soundtrack, but both soundtracks are about equal.

I recently played Fighting Vipers 2 on the Model 3 emulator, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the first one. Something about it felt wrong. I don't think it was the emulator, either. Virtua Fighter 3, despite having game-breaking graphical problems, at least felt right on that emulator.

used to play this one when I was 10 in a mall... dear god, beating the shit out of everyone with your guitar and them pushing them out the ring was usually the most epic moment of my week, still don't know why I had no recolection about it until now :lol:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
used to play this one when I was 10 in a mall... dear god, beating the shit out of everyone with your guitar and them pushing them out the ring was usually the most epic moment of my week, still don't know why I had no recolection about it until now :lol:

Dude, get it on the Saturn or play it on the Model 2 emulator. It's as epic as you remember it. If you must, buy an official Saturn disc and play it on your PC with the SSF emulator if you don't have a Saturn. Just play it again.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Fighter's History Dymanite. I got hooked on that game last year and I still love playing it to this day! What's funny is the day I played it, my friend and I were supposed to go to another friend's house to play Marvel vs. Capcom 3 when it first came out. We were like "We'll play a few more rounds then go." We said that for 2 hours after the start time. IT'S THAT MUCH FUN!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Fighting Vipers was awesome. I remember my buddy and I cranking out epic battles with that at the arcade. One of the few fighters that I can remember the debut of in my youth. Left such a strong impression.