CRT Fetish Thread

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I have used the PS1 namco guncons and saturn stunners on my PVM no problems.

For PS1 I bought a gamestop off-brand component PS2 cable that has both component and composite. The PS1 outputs RGB on the same pins the PS2 outputs component on. You have to add 220uf caps to the R G and B lines, negative side toward display iirc. Then just use RCA to BNC adaptors, cheap as shit on monoprice. The composite line can be used for sync, you may need a lm1881 depending on monitor. Some PVM's take composite video to EXT sync with no problem at all. I just piggybacked the guns into the RCA for composite video before sending it to the monitor with an RCA to BNC adaptor.

Sounds great! Thanks for the answer. I still need to get a CRT and have been checking Craigslist for decent Trinitron/Wegas and PVMs (barely any) so I haven't decided whether I'll be going SCART to Component or SCART to BNC for my Saturn/SNES. I didn't even know PVMs were a thing until recently.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I need to do this, I wanna play house of the dead!!

Hell yeah. HotD on Saturn works great with SCART -> BNC, no trickery needed.

Sounds great! Thanks for the answer. I still need to get a CRT and have been checking Craigslist for decent Trinitron/Wegas and PVMs (barely any) so I haven't decided whether I'll be going SCART to Component or SCART to BNC for my Saturn/SNES. I didn't even know PVMs were a thing until recently.

I'd shell out the cash for a PVM, even if you have to ship it. I use scart to BNC for Saturn, and my SNES I just added my own RGB jacks on the back. The PVM cost me about $120, 80 for the monitor and 40 to ship it. I can give you a lead on that if you need. IMO it's worth every penny, the difference between a PVM and a television is huge.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member

you can also check ebay, try Sony PVM and filter the searches by Distance:Nearest First, that's how I found mine. gl in the hunt buddy:)

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
Great info! What kind of price should I be going for in regards to 14" and 20" PVMs? I looked around on ebay and I see some 14" around $100 after shipping and some 20" around $150-200ish after shipping. Though the completed listings are telling me I should aim for a bit lower than that.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Great info! What kind of price should I be going for in regards to 14" and 20" PVMs? I looked around on ebay and I see some 14" around $100 after shipping and some 20" around $150-200ish after shipping. Though the completed listings are telling me I should aim for a bit lower than that.
Ive found all three of my PVMs locally and paid about $30 each. First was on ebay, other two were off CL. I wouldn't want to pay $100 unless it's like a really new excellent condition one with remote.

Here's my NEC MultiSync XM29 I recently got. I'm going to be honest here, this thing blows PVMs out of the water. This is such a killer CRT. The RGB image is perfect. Maybe even better than my cabs monitor. I use it for RGB gaming and also have my PC hooked up to it. The VGA looksa super crisp. One of the best features too is how easy it is to adjust the image from the remote. My PVMs I have to open the things up and adjust some pots. This I just press the buttons right on the remote and done. This is the ULTIMATE RGB CRT. Everyone here needs one. Seriously.
My pics do not do justice
20130518125601.jpg

20130308225130.jpg

Last edited:

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Probably not if they are that small.

You can only be in the PVM club if yours is 20" or bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DoARSlv-HU#t=1m38s
Way to make me feel....inadequate! ;P

jerk:angry:

@indie

any chance you have to get one or more of these things, take it! If they are the broadcast model (BVM) I've heard those are even better looking than pvms.

Good tips! Oooooo. I'll definitely have to check out the palette of them then for a keeper. I never gave them a second look because most of them are riddled with burn-in and are rack mounts (so they are super deep, how about that inuendo @theMot?), I never would have even fathomed getting the quality of picture you guys are on here. SO kudos!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
NEC on NEC?!

it's a match made in heaven Punkic!! looks gorgeous:drool:

@indie:

if they have burn in and you can't find what you want, I'd suggest also checking your local Craiglist and Ebay search distance nearest first, I got hella lucky on mine (not trying to brag at all) but I got 2 20" pvms for $2 and it was a local pickup. just lucked out on em. They are hands down the best display for games I've ever had, and I've been enjoying watching movies on em lately as well.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Don't think that model can save settings, think that was just specific to the BVM series.

Here's my latest pickup:

maytv.jpg

Not the best photos, (camera phone!) but I managed to snag a killer TV over the weekend. 1987 Sony KV-C27 made in West Germany, picture had a few tiny niggles but a couple of magnets stuck on the back of the tube in the right places and now it's almost perfect. Seriously the convergence on this thing is insanely good, especially considering the age. Just need to find a good compromise with the overscan for the various consoles i'll be running on it then I can close it back up. The case needs a couple of cracks fixed and a few spots of paint but nothing that's beyond me.

Wish I could get some good shots of it, this thing blows me away every time I turn it on. 6th CRT i've had in the last 6 months.

Seriously awesome. I have heard fantastic things about that model. Its meant to have more adjustment pots than an arcade monitor. Correct?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Just scored myself an old CRT... I've not been able to try it out yet, but the person who gave it to me said it works great. It's a 27" Sony Trinitron. I'm in the middle of a move so all my classic systems are boxed up and ready to get on the truck. This TV looks amazing though, I can't wait to plug my Neo into it.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Never owned an arcade monitor but I have about 15 adjustment pots on this thing. Seriously loving it, just need to stop being a lazy bastard and get the case back on. Absolute pain in the arse as half of it is wood and the other half is slightly warped plastic.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Here it is boys. Time to cough up the PVM_Club Membership Card for this BEAUTY!!!!!

photo.jpg

SO crisp...SO clean...it's like I'm seeing....DOUBLE...TRIPLE EVEN! ;)

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
How large is that one?

It's the PVM-14M2U...so it's a 14. But honestly I posted that as a joke. Those weird triple-images make this the worst monitor I've ever seen. That is NOT motion blur--look at the captioning...haha.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
A friend is getting me a Sony KD-34XBR960N 34" to replace the PVM since I am using mainly VGA and component. Does anyone know fit his TV is worth it? I mean I have to lift it and pay for gas, but other than that, it will be free.

GAMEFAN

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
*Warning! Many Pics* (I couldn't figure out how to drop these in a spoiler)

Hey all,

So an affiliate of my workplace is closing down and is getting rid of these..PVM's, Ikegami's, and JVC's. Note: Not TOO many 20's, conditions vary. Mostly 13-14's.

IMG_1210_zpsd8df04e9.jpg

IMG_1208_zpse3d4c787.jpg

My scores:

(PVM-1344Q)

IMG_1221_zps2084050e.jpg

IMG_1225_zpse90f9990.jpg

IMG_1226_zpseeafdf6c.jpg

(PVM-20N6U)

IMG_1231_zpsc52966eb.jpg

IMG_1234_zps00df7ff0.jpg

IMG_1235_zps46e8f044.jpg

If any members needing a CRT are in the Lehigh Valley PA area. Please let me know ASAP.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Oooh I'm gonna be visiting some relatives in Wilmington DE in a couple of days. That looks like a very tempting side trip. Are there any 20m4u, 20L5, or other 20s with component input ?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That's a whole lot of CRT lovin'

Personally, if I was in your position and they allowed it, I would take every RGB capable PVM they allowed you to take.

Stack them in your garage or storage.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Update:

As of today all of 20" PVMs were taken. :( There are a few 20" Ikegami CRTs--but frankly they just aren't as nice as the PVMs aesthetically, build quality, or picture (purely going on the notes written on labeling tape) .

I nabbed 4 more 14" PVMs (all component/rgb) (1 PVM-14M2U & 3 PVM-14L2) manufactured between 2000-2004. I have to check them all for picture quality to decide which I would like to keep. SO what I'm trying to say is I will have 4 14" PVMs to give away, keep in mind these monitors were swapped and used in the field often, the chasis are NOT in the best shape (though can clean up decently with elbow grease). I'm guessing I should make a thread over at For Sale given I don't want to ship.

The rest at the compound either have noticeable burn-in, are small, or are not RGB.

Thanks for the interest and encouraging words.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Mega man 2 on the PVM. I'm not fancy enough for an rgb NES, so composite it is.

Sony PVM-14M4U HR
photo1_zps14166ff4.jpg

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Living in the UK I have been lucky to have had RGB SCART TVs since around 1992. I needed to free up some space in my room/man cave. So replaced my consumer 28" widescreen Trinitron (which had 3 SCART inputs in the back!) with this PVM-2054QM that I found on Ebay for £47. May I just advise UK buyers that PVMs are still an excellent purchase over standard consumer Trinitrons with RGB Scart thanks to how much you can tweak and improve the image. For instance you can adjust the depth and warmth of the red, green or blue signal independently to get the perfect picture.

Pictures show my US SNES on a RGB connection via retrogamingcables.co.uk female SCART to BNC with sync stripper cable.

I had a rolling image through my Neo Geo AES RGB SCART cable and emailed retrogamingcables to find out why. They pointed out the the +12v pin wasn't connected on my Neo's RGB SCART lead (therefore sync stripper not powered up) and have offered me to send it in so they can modify it for the grand total of £1! Much gratitude to Robert at RetroGamingCables for doing this for me.

I'm looking forward to playing some Fatal Fury Special on this when I get my cable back.

2013-06-08124005.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Just an FYI, but generally you don't need to use a sync stripper with a PVM. They take both composite sync and composite video as sync no problem. They can internally strip the sync out of the signal.

Hell, you could probably use Luminance from an Svideo connection to generate the sync for RGB too.

Nice looking setup by the way.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Just an FYI, but generally you don't need to use a sync stripper with a PVM. They take both composite sync and composite video as sync no problem. They can internally strip the sync out of the signal.

Hell, you could probably use Luminance from an Svideo connection to generate the sync for RGB too.

Nice looking setup by the way.

Thanks for the information. I'd assume that if I had purchased the standard BNC to Female SCART adaptor without Sync-Stripper this would have worked fine with my RGB lead? I hope that this modification to my AES Scart lead works now! :eek:

Thank you for the compliments on my set up. If only I had more space!

Here's a video of how my Neo starts up with the same sync-stripper lead and a Euro SCART RGB purchased off eBay that worked fine with the old Trinitron directly plugged into the SCART socket.

[video]http://s150.photobucket.com/user/tomlee80/media/2013-06-04190333.mp4.html[/video]

...And here's the SNES using a 3rd party RGB Scart lead connected through the same adaptor.

[video]http://s150.photobucket.com/user/tomlee80/media/2013-06-04190125.mp4.html[/video]