CRT Fetish Thread

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I've got one of those beastly trinitrons. Mine's 36" took 3 people to move it! I'm trying to move over my consoles to the XRGB mini slowly so I can save space and have someone pick up my old TV before I move and hopefully save my back! In the meantime though the picture is amazing. It's just a shame lightgun games don't work on it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Anyone know if there is such a thing as a tri-sync 26" CRT that would fit an Aero City?

I've been browsing classifieds like crazy trying to find more RGB monitors cheap. I stumbled upon this one in the UK for 10 just now (that'd be less than 20 here!). It's a 27" Sony ProFeel *Insert Feel Meme Here* which were essentially the consumer versions of the PVM series. In fact the iconic black cubical PVMs are based off the mid-1980's series of ProFeels of the same design. Actually I'm pretty sure they are the exact same tubes and components just with different inputs. Kinda like Sony's version of the fabled RCA Dimensia TV systems since there was apparently a whole line of ProFeel products. http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/sony-27-trinitron-colour-monitor-tv-stereo-system/1015403176

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I've been browsing classifieds like crazy trying to find more RGB monitors cheap. I stumbled upon this one in the UK for 10 just now (that'd be less than 20 here!). It's a 27" Sony ProFeel *Insert Feel Meme Here* which were essentially the consumer versions of the PVM series. In fact the iconic black cubical PVMs are based off the mid-1980's series of ProFeels of the same design. Actually I'm pretty sure they are the exact same tubes and components just with different inputs. Kinda like Sony's version of the fabled RCA Dimensia TV systems since there was apparently a whole line of ProFeel products. http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/sony-27-trinitron-colour-monitor-tv-stereo-system/1015403176

I love the retro look of that monitor. Looks like something you'd see out of an old advertisement for the 8-bit Famicom or SEGA Mark III. NICE!

On a side note...

Picked up a second Gateway DL27-1 yesterday afternoon. Basically a 27" CRT VGA monitor. I forgot how amazing stuff looks on this. Especially retro via an XRGB2+ or Dreamcast VGA adapter.

Gateway_16_zps57f16d5a.jpg

Gateway_1_zpsa4d2bb10.jpg

Gateway_21_zpsa9fb1995.jpg

Dirty 68k emu, but still looks great. ChoRenSha 68k looks especially amazing.

Gateway_22_zps012e5e12.jpg

Gateway_5_zps976bcd0a.jpg

Gateway_17_zps2d2f9ef5.jpg

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Weird question but do you know if any of those were sold outside the US? I'm trying to track down a 25" + VGA CRT here in Oz, might be better to get a list going of similar products actually...

So far I know of the NEC XM29 and the Mitsubishi MegaView, anyone come across any similar monitors?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Weird question but do you know if any of those were sold outside the US? I'm trying to track down a 25" + VGA CRT here in Oz, might be better to get a list going of similar products actually...

So far I know of the NEC XM29 and the Mitsubishi MegaView, anyone come across any similar monitors?

What about those Bang & Olufson Beovision displays? I know Europe has them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I need some help. I have a PVM2530 and since my work room used to be my dedicated home theater it still has all the audio equipment in it. I'd like to use my PVM to watch movies from time to time. Is there a good component to RGBS converter that would work with my PVM? I guess BNC would be better since I don't use those connectors so I don't need to swap.

lumberjoof

n00b
Anyone know if the Sony BVM-1911 is worth picking up? There is one for sale about an hour's drive from me, but I can't seem to find too much info on it.

Oh, it's much simpler than that. I use my 360 to watch DVDs on my PVM from time to time with a SCART cable. Looks great. All you need is a console that can play DVDs, it would be way cheaper than any converter. PS2 and the original XBOX are easy to get SCART cables for. Even though DVDs are stored in a digital version of Component, they just look way better through full bandwidth RGB since Analog Component is inferior to Analog RGB. LaserDisc, Betamax and VHS look awesome on it too.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I need some help. I have a PVM2530 and since my work room used to be my dedicated home theater it still has all the audio equipment in it. I'd like to use my PVM to watch movies from time to time. Is there a good component to RGBS converter that would work with my PVM? I guess BNC would be better since I don't use those connectors so I don't need to swap.

Just go BNC it looks amazing for movies and games.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
I've got a Sony PVM 20M4U and I'm trying to avoid having to mess with the service menu scaling and positioning every time I want to switch between saturn/Neo.

Is it possible to save two profiles in the menu or should I just modify my underscan button settings so that it sort of acts as a proxy 2nd profile.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't think that model can save settings, think that was just specific to the BVM series.

Here's my latest pickup:

maytv.jpg

Not the best photos, (camera phone!) but I managed to snag a killer TV over the weekend. 1987 Sony KV-C27 made in West Germany, picture had a few tiny niggles but a couple of magnets stuck on the back of the tube in the right places and now it's almost perfect. Seriously the convergence on this thing is insanely good, especially considering the age. Just need to find a good compromise with the overscan for the various consoles i'll be running on it then I can close it back up. The case needs a couple of cracks fixed and a few spots of paint but nothing that's beyond me.

Wish I could get some good shots of it, this thing blows me away every time I turn it on. 6th CRT i've had in the last 6 months.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just noticed this thread - picked up this Sony KV-21CL10K a few weeks ago:

tv1b.jpg

tv2xc.jpg

Key features:
- 21" screen
- 4:3 screen ratio
- stereo sound
- 2 x SCART
- accepts RGB input signal via one of the SCART connectors :cool:

rgbo.jpg

I also got a couple of other CRT's which I will post here when I have the chance, but for the moment I consider this to be the best from my 'collection' :tickled: from a retro gaming point of view - due to size (not too big not too small) and overall condition and age considerations.

PS. love the Sony PVM photos you are posting :cool:

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
I never had a PVM in front of me but I would like the input from you guys.

How does the PVM compare to an Arcade Monitor? both using RGB same source, everything.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I never had a PVM in front of me but I would like the input from you guys.

How does the PVM compare to an Arcade Monitor? both using RGB same source, everything.

Same or better.

gotta agree with skate. I had my pvm 20 hooked up with saturn and a scart cable next to my New Astro city a couple of months ago, I had xmen vs sf playing on both and the pvm looked just as good as the cabinet monitor:)

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Soooo I noticed Sony PVM Club sigs and found my way to this thread. I'd really appreciate answers to a few questions because I am pretty sure the broadcasting company I work for is about to throw away a bunch of CRTs just like those. I'd love to save the keepers without burn-in from the trash heap.

1. What brand and models are preferred?
2. Are there any hookups in the back specifically I should be looking for? (Usually I just see a ton of BNC ports)

Any tips greatly appreciated, mind you these monitors are small (biggest I would guess is ~13") but I have a literal pile to go through. Think it's worth it?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Probably not if they are that small.

You can only be in the PVM club if yours is 20" or bigger.

jerk:angry:

@indie

any chance you have to get one or more of these things, take it! If they are the broadcast model (BVM) I've heard those are even better looking than pvms.

most have bnc connectors I'm told, so you can get some of these on the cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSRCBN6...TF8&qid=1369917194&sr=8-2&keywords=bnc+to+rca

and you can setup standard composite, or component. If you want to go RGB, there are some members here who make Scart to BNC cables, if you get one of those, then you just need to buy a euro scart cable for whatever console you wanna hook up to it. It's a bit more of an investment, but it's the best looking picture you can get!

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Quick question? I have my Wii connected to my PVM 20M4U via component cables. It looks great! When I use the same input for my XBOX 360, the image looks split. Both are being displayed at 480P.

Any ideas?

GAMEFAN

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
These PVMs work with light gun games right? I know I will normally need one of these for the Guncon games but not sure about other consoles.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have used the PS1 namco guncons and saturn stunners on my PVM no problems.

For PS1 I bought a gamestop off-brand component PS2 cable that has both component and composite. The PS1 outputs RGB on the same pins the PS2 outputs component on. You have to add 220uf caps to the R G and B lines, negative side toward display iirc. Then just use RCA to BNC adaptors, cheap as shit on monoprice. The composite line can be used for sync, you may need a lm1881 depending on monitor. Some PVM's take composite video to EXT sync with no problem at all. I just piggybacked the guns into the RCA for composite video before sending it to the monitor with an RCA to BNC adaptor.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I have used the PS1 namco guncons and saturn stunners on my PVM no problems.

For PS1 I bought a gamestop off-brand component PS2 cable that has both component and composite. The PS1 outputs RGB on the same pins the PS2 outputs component on. You have to add 220uf caps to the R G and B lines, negative side toward display iirc. Then just use RCA to BNC adaptors, cheap as shit on monoprice. The composite line can be used for sync, you may need a lm1881 depending on monitor. Some PVM's take composite video to EXT sync with no problem at all. I just piggybacked the guns into the RCA for composite video before sending it to the monitor with an RCA to BNC adaptor.

I need to do this, I wanna play house of the dead!!