CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice, thanks man. I'll probably wire a lm1881 to a dpdt switch so I have that option.

I didn't want to use pots for the reason you stated, I don't want inconsistent levels. Do you have a good source for those triple-gang pots?

You can find some on ebay, otherwise have to Google for them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On my very first supergun I had a triple-ganged pot and soon after I changed it to individual. Once in a while you may run into a board that has uneven color levels and if you don't know how to fix it then you're stuck adjust only the brightness instead of the balance.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
On my very first supergun I had a triple-ganged pot and soon after I changed it to individual. Once in a while you may run into a board that has uneven color levels and if you don't know how to fix it then you're stuck adjust only the brightness instead of the balance.

uneven color levels? really?

That seems kinda crazy that the individual levels have to be balanced out

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
uneven color levels? really?

That seems kinda crazy that the individual levels have to be balanced out

Last board I had that did that was a Shinobi and before that it was a Sky Shark I think. The Shinobi had a strong blue tint so I had to turn it way down.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If I had a board with colors out of balance, theoretically I could just adjust the colors and white balance in my PVMs service menu. Probably not the best solution in the world, but it only takes me a second to pull that menu up.

I'm not really worried about a bunch of JAMMA boards, at least for now. My main concerns are NAOMI (which I have working fine on both 15khz and 31khz displays), MVS, and CPS2. I might grab a PCB here and there down the road after I have a CPS2 and MVS set up, but like I said, that's not my immediate concern. Thanks for all the input.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Just got this from the sony service shop.

They said it was there for over an year and the owner refused to pick it up, so I got it for free:

QlhG2g8.jpg

40 inches CRT glory! 1080i and DVI input on the back :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
40 inches!

I bet that thing weights 350 or 400 pounds.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
40 inches!

I bet that thing weights 350 or 400 pounds.

According to the manual it weights 304lbs.

Payed a transport company and 3 strong dudes brought it in.

EDIT: Does anyone know if I build a direct SCART to DVI cable it would work on this TV?
I've been using scart rgb to component for ages but if this DVI input has analog RGB pins this would make it convertionless and improve picture quality.

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
According to the manual it weights 304lbs.

Payed a transport company and 3 strong dudes brought it in.

EDIT: Does anyone know if I build a direct SCART to DVI cable it would work on this TV?
I've been using scart rgb to component for ages but if this DVI input has analog RGB pins this would make it convertionless and improve picture quality.

That 40 inch crt is a thing of beauty!! What's the 240p signal like through RGB?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
My friend had that same TV in perfect condition and it was a really beautiful TV but holy crap was it heavy. Just lifting it onto the table he had for it took me and 2 friends. It blew something in the back though and the image bowed in and he gave it away. The thought of transporting it to the repair shop and back was too much trouble. Oh well, beautiful image though. It's too big for my house with kids running around, if it fell it'd kill someone

Ragnorok64

n00b
This site is going to make me poor(er). I thought working my way to having Scart -> Component on my 27" Trinitron would be the pinnacle of what I could shoot for. Now I know about Sony PVMs, and I want one...

Ragnorok64

n00b
That said, I'm probably still going to shoot for getting component out of my systems, current and future, because I'd like to be able to capture card my gameplay at some point and I think component is the easiest option for that.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
This site is going to make me poor(er). I thought working my way to having Scart -> Component on my 27" Trinitron would be the pinnacle of what I could shoot for. Now I know about Sony PVMs, and I want one...

Welcome to neo-geo.com, haha! Where people will have great ideas for ways to blow your cash on what most people think are "useless" things.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
That said, I'm probably still going to shoot for getting component out of my systems, current and future, because I'd like to be able to capture card my gameplay at some point and I think component is the easiest option for that.

You could always get a *powered* SCART splitter, then on one output of the splitter feed it to a SCART to component video converter for your capture needs.... then the other output of the splitter to your future Sony PVM/BVM.

airs

n00b
PVM has distorted color in top right corner

I snagged a pvm-20m2mdu off craigslist the other day, only to find this when I got home (color distortion in the top right corner). I can make it go away if i turn the monitor on its side for some reason...any ideas?
5ESUJEd.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Doesn't go away with degauss?

I have the service manual for that monitor if you need it. Likely that will require phyiscal adjustment, I don't think anything in the service menus can fix that.

airs

n00b
Degauss didn't seem to do anything for it :(

Would love the service manual if you can provide it!

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Needs stronger degauss from external coil.

airs

n00b
I'm going to head to fry's today and get a degaussing coil. If that works, I'm going to get started on calibration. Skate, have you tried opening the monitor and adjusting the internal calibration pots?

airs

n00b
Does the fact that the discoloration goes away if I rotate the monitor change the recommendation to use a degaussing coil on it?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I have not had to open mine. Convergence etc is fine. All the adjustments I've had to make were just using the service menu (phase, pincushion, V and H size, etc).