The Complete Death Of Video Game Publications

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The thing I miss most about print publications is being able to read them on the crapper. I Will NOT take a laptop or expensive electronic into the bathroom with me.

I will, or a tablet at least, a laptop is far too bulky.
I don't really see the difference between taking a tablet or a magazine on a trip to the throne, as long as you wash your hands.
Which, of course, we should all do anyway. ;)

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I will, or a tablet at least, a laptop is far too bulky.
I don't really see the difference between taking a tablet or a magazine on a trip to the throne, as long as you wash your hands.
Which, of course, we should all do anyway. ;)

You can't wipe your ass with a tablet if you realize to late that you are out of toilet paper.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That fast food bag trashcan thing is true, I do that everytime.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
GamePro is gone and has been for quite some time. I subscribe to Game Informer. Only $15 per year. Better than nothing.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Weirdly, both longest-running Finnish mags, Mikrobitti and Pelit, are still going strong. Haven't read either in over a decade though. I still buy Edge now and again.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
to be honest i have considered subscribing to game informer, just for the sake of having something to read in the shitter

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
All this talk about reading on the shitter. At one time i was buying old issues of Retro Gamer off Ebay that were missing from my collection. One of the issues that i picked up i was flicking through and a red dick hair fell out of it. Some grub red head must have been reading it on the loo once upon a time and got a bit excited.

Last edited:
It's a shame that so many game magazines are ending. If it wasn't for a series on collecting in Tips & Tricks, I wouldn't have become interested in collecting when I did.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
It's been mentioned a couple times but I want to reiterate that Edge is a pretty nice mag. It's expensive, but it's mature and takes a pretty nice perspective on gaming overall. Also has pretty nice coverage of indie games and studios.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Surprisingly, I've only been able to find Retro Gamer in one Barnes and Noble in NY, and it is tucked away pretty deep.

I loved getting Nintendo Power when I was younger. I was a monthly subscriber, but my magazine would come in the mail a couple of days after retail, and the biggest douche in my class at the time always got the latest issue a couple of days before me and would NOT share. Ass.

Now it seems all we have here is GameInformer. Not bad, but nowhere near the variety of the late 90s and 00's.

smccd

New Challenger
Retro Gamer is still alive and kicking. Can subscribe from North America at around $10 per issue shipped.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I never had the money for gaming magazines when I was a preteen/teenager, but read PC Gamer religiously in college. Now I try to buy every issue of Retro Gamer off of the news stand. I end up missing some of them, but you can also download them for iPad for like $5 or so per issue, and the Retro Gamer app is quite nice.

I collect gaming magazines from the 80s and 90s, so that's how I relive the magazine experience. I know it isn't the same, but it's fun to read through an old GamePro from like 1992, read about some game that you've never played, and then load it up on a flash cart or pick up a copy the next time you're at a game store. I also have a small library of old mags on my iPad in PDF or CBR/CBZ format, for reading during flights and whatnot.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm also collecting the old Nintendo Powers and seeing some of the old reviews and letters are really interesting, especially the older hidden gems that didn't have as much of an impact. I only have one cop of EGM from 1996 and its a blast to read through.

driph

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
I'm not in any way connected to this, and I don't even know enough about it to endorse it yet, but Mike Kennedy (the gamegavel guy) is currently kickstarting a games magazine project called RETRO.

The campaign is a bit light on information right now... I'm watching it, but I want to know more about cost breakdown, who will be handling the actual editing, what the long list of names will actually be doing, that sort of thing. Still, would love to see a US-based retro gaming print magazine, so I hope things go well for em.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
For those who read Japanese, there are still plenty of VG publications to choose from. Both current and retro.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
For those who read Japanese, there are still plenty of VG publications to choose from. Both current and retro.

I actually but some Japanese mags from eBay sometimes, such as Arcadia, even though I don't read Japanese, haha. I've still got most of my old gaming mag issues too (Hardcore Gamer, EGM, Gamepro, NP, Next Gen, etc) yeah, I'm a pack rat I guess

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anybody remember the 100th issue of EGM? They did a top one hundred best games that had been released since their publication started. That was definitely a major contributing factor in me starting to collect video games. Up until that point I had no knowledge of Ys book 1&2, which became one of my favorite games of all time. Tetris got the top spot in their list.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Anybody remember the 100th issue of EGM?
Sure thing I do, a friend lend me his copy for a few days some years ago. But I remember it beeing somewhat Nintendo-heavy, especially in the top 10. Other than that it was a great read, really enjoyed the "coolest part" and "don't you hate it" paragraphes to each game. When did it come out again - 1998?

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I miss old EGM - before they were bought by Ziff-Davis.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Okay so I know all this is pretty obvious to everybody but it's been bothering me lately. I know that the internet is a valuable resource and now you can get any info instantaneously about almost any subject but I really miss the days of having a tactile magazine to read. Before the internet Waiting for your copy of GameFan or Nintendo Power Or EGM to come in the mail was an awesome feeling. When you got home and it was in your mailbox it was a great feeling to crack it open and find out what's going on in the world of video games.

Back in the day I had Nintendo Power & EGM subscriptions. I had the NP sub starting with the first issue. I missed the sub on EGM until the second issue.

Always loved coming home and checking the mail. And if one of those was in the mailbox it made my week. Spent so much time reading each copy. And felt good if my copy of that months issue showed up before other kids. Also was terrible if the other kids got theirs early or mine was late.

Unfortunately I only had subs for the first 4 or 5 years for NP, and maybe 9 or 10 years for EGM. Really wished I'd still had all of those. I've looked at some pricing on the early Nintendo Powers. Ouch.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I miss Mr. Monitaur

GF-01-01.jpg

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I remember buying that issue of Diehard Game fan. I know I bought a couple more after that, but never really got into that mag. I mostly stuck with EGM & Nintendo Power.